All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Windows error code 28
PostPosted: December 10th, 2015, 18:35 

I've been having trouble reading discs, I can't hear any whirling suggesting the disc is reading and this is both audio and normal discs (please excuse my lack of technical vocab, I'm barely even functional let alone technical!).

I've been through the hardware device wizard which says " Cannot continue the hardware update wizard. The wizard could not find a better match for your hardware than the software you currently have installed". I can't figure out what is already installed.

All I know is that its a Maxtor 6L160P0 drive. I've been on the device manager and it says that the device is working.

I'm currently going through the Help and Support Center, which asks "Are you having a problem with a SCSI device?" I have absolutely no idea whether I have or not.

All I know is I need to upload Norton Anti Virus onto the computer (which I can't ask the discs won't read) before my mum looses her nut going cold turkey on Candy Crush haha.

Post subject: Re: Windows error code 28
PostPosted: December 10th, 2015, 19:58 

workaround, download Norton anti-virus...

Is this a desktop PC? first you are getting confused with the Hard disk, and the DVD Rom drive. The Maxtor hard drive is your operating system / boot / general computer files. The DVD rom drive, that I am assuming you are putting discs into (hard Disk DVD Disc) is possibly no good. these are 2 cables (which I would check first) and 4 screws. you can simply buy a new one and install it. It shouldn't need you to manually add drivers.

otherwise some more explanation and some pics of what your system is might help.

Last edited by HaQue on December 10th, 2015, 20:03, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Windows error code 28
PostPosted: December 10th, 2015, 20:01 

Didn't even think of that, how stupid. Thank you so much, really appreciate it.

Yeah, it's a desktop....I think it goes back as far as cave drawings!