All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Can MHDD access a SATA HDD connected with SATA-USB cable?
PostPosted: January 3rd, 2016, 17:04 

I have a SATA hard drive from a dead laptop from which I'd like to retrieve the data. However, the hard drive has a password applied. I was the one who originally set the password, so of course I know what it is.

I'm looking for some way to remove the password. I can't do it through the BIOS of the computer where the password was set, because, as I said, that computer is now dead.

I came across the MHDD utility on this site, and it looks like it might be helpful to me.
Could someone tell me if it's possible for me to use MHDD to access the hard drive in question if the hard drive was connected to the computer with a SATA-USB adapter cable?

Thanks for your insight.

Post subject: Re: Can MHDD access a SATA HDD connected with SATA-USB cable
PostPosted: January 3rd, 2016, 17:38 

Spildit wrote:
What is the full model of the drive you want to unlock ?

Thanks for the quick reply.
The drive is from a Lenovo S10-2 laptop. It says on it:
Hitachi
5K500.B-250
HTS545025B9A300

PostPosted: January 3rd, 2016, 18:01 

So if the password is hashed, then the information in your link about keyboard scan codes is irrelevant, right?

Also, in your last link about ZU, it specifically lists my drive as one that is not supported.

I guess that leaves me with only two options - try to find a working Lenovo S10-2, or try to have mine fixed. I'm wary about the second option as I fear I may pay for the service only to find out that the laptop is beyond repair.

Thanks for your help. At least it stops me from barking up the wrong tree.

PostPosted: January 4th, 2016, 9:17 

osullic wrote:
Also, in your last link about ZU, it specifically lists my drive as one that is not supported.

http://hddoracle.com/viewtopic.php?f=95&t=166&start=20
Quote:
added support for HTE545050KTA300_EK500_500, HTS545050B9A300, L9A300

PostPosted: February 15th, 2016, 19:58 

In the thread on hddoracle.com with guidelines on using ZU <http://hddoracle.com/viewtopic.php?f=95&t=166#p1555>, there are some "scary" instructions that apply to my situation:

Quote:
Placing the drive in SafeMode can be done using a variety of methods.

HGST PATA models can simply be jumpered for SafeMode, while other drives can be induced into SafeMode by "faulting" the NVRAM or by shorting specific points on the PCB.

In general, one can simply try to apply power to the controller while it is disconnected from the HDA (or unscrew the 2 screws on the controller on the side opposite the interface and slightly lift it with a toothpick :))

Can somebody explain this to a "newbie" who has never messed with a hard drive before? What is NVRAM? What does it mean to short specific points on the PCB? How does one "apply power to the controller while it is disconnected from the HDA"? Indeed, what is the controller and what is the HDA? Is there a labelled image that would show me "the 2 screws on the controller on the side opposite the interface"?

Thanks!