All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: How can I deternine the actions of backup programs
PostPosted: January 21st, 2016, 17:39 

Maybe HDDG can help with this.

I encountered the Volume Shadow Copy Service Error

A Volume Shadow Copy Service component encountered an unexpected error. Check the Application event log for more information. (0x80042302)

I had chased this around for days if not weeks seeking a sensible answer.

Finally I opened msconfig services in Windows 7, looked though all of these and found Volume Shadow Copy near the bottom.

It was unchecked as an item.

After checking this box and rebooting I was able to perform
the system Restore Function I was attempting.

I didn't know where to find this but then hit on it after asking numerous questions to help forums.

My question is: can this VSS service be turned off unawares to the user during a clone backup by any software running on removable media?

Other question is I've seen large quota errors in the services
How can this be remedied?

I can supply a screen shot of the quota errors shortly.

Post subject: Re: How can I deternine the actions of backup programs
PostPosted: January 21st, 2016, 18:16 

Probably better to go to a windows or Microsoft forum. These things are very specific issues dealing with windows subsystem. Also, use the eventlog as a guide, but do not just assume that because an error exists, there is something wrong, and also don't assume that an error listed is going to be that exact granular part of windows. You first need to setup auditing so that it is reporting on what you need, as the defaults miss a lot, and just because there are no error/warning in eventlog, doesn't mean there is not some issue.
Before you start troubleshooting, make sure you have all available patches for both windows AND 3rd party applications. then clear out eventlog totally. run the system and act apon the new eventlogs otherwise you will be wading through a LOT.

Also... be very sure there is no malware/adware/spyware/crapware/etc on the system. this rubbish uses tricks to stay on the system, and even if it is not malware per se, it can play havoc with filling up eventlog as their software invades windows.