All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Recovery of 10 Excel files that are fragmented
PostPosted: March 12th, 2016, 7:57 

Hi there,

I tried to recover the files on my portable drive, it recoverd a lot but there are 10 Excel files that won't recover succefully. Al the software I tried, find the specific files, with their names, seize, last modified etc, but when I recover those files, and open them with Excel, it says the files are damaged. I think this is because the files are fragmented.

Is there any software that can search specifially to a document an recover it complety, with all fragments?

Post subject: Re: Recovery of 10 Excel files that are fragmented
PostPosted: March 12th, 2016, 8:23 

Hi DescoR

Quote:
Is there any software that can search specifially to a document an recover it complety, with all fragments?

Yes. maybe try R-Studio in trial mode, see what it comes up with.

when you say recover, what actually happened to remove the files?

As ever, if the data are valuable, the safest route is to find professional data recovery service.

If it's a DIY thing, always seek to copy the drive first and work on the copy, to save making matters worse.

PostPosted: March 12th, 2016, 8:33 

digitalferret wrote:
Hi DescoR

Quote:

Yes. maybe try R-Studio in trial mode, see what it comes up with.

when you say recover, what actually happened to remove the files?

As ever, if the data are valuable, the safest route is to find professional data recovery service.

If it's a DIY thing, always seek to copy the drive first and work on the copy, to save making matters worse.

Thank you for your reply digitalferret.

What happened: I maked a system repair copy to my portable drive. That went good, all data still there. But the day after, it gone wrong. And since then, my portable drive shrunk from 300GB NTFS to a 32GB FAT32 repair drive, and 268GB became ''Unallocated space''. Nothing formatted nor overwrited. When trying software like Recuva, EaseUS, Arcronis etc, I did find most files en recoverd but the files I daily updated, are not possible to succesfull recover. Someone told me because those files are fragmented and the data recovery software doesn't match u fragmented sectors, which results in een damagad Excel file that can't be read.

I will try StudioR, are there proven results over recovering fragmented files with that software for so far?

PostPosted: March 12th, 2016, 17:11 

Hi Descor

The recovery programs need to find a file table to know where all the fragments are and reconstruct them as each original file.

If the file table(s) is lost, and there are just fragments scattered across the drive, then it does not look good.

The program I mentioned is R-Studio from r-tt.com - give it a go, see what it finds.

PostPosted: March 13th, 2016, 8:04 

I would be taking an image of the entire disk before doing ANYTHING else... as already said by digitalferrett

Taking an image of the whole disk wont care if the partitions are 300GB or 30GB it will copy all the disk to a file so you don't run the risk of losing the only remaining potential copy of your disk (the disk itself)

attach a disk that has enough free space to hold an image of the disk. run DMDE and select the correct (problem) physical disk, click OK.
Attachment:
dmde_clone1.jpg
dmde_clone1.jpg [ 175.32 KiB | Viewed 8504 times ]

On this list right-click the physical disk and choose create Image/clone... select the file to copy the image to on your big good drive.

in Rstudio, you use this file as a source disk image..
Attachment:
dmde_clone2.jpg
dmde_clone2.jpg [ 73.51 KiB | Viewed 8504 times ]