All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: R-Studio Alternative
PostPosted: March 17th, 2016, 14:49 

lcoughey wrote:
I just redid the recovery that got me in hot water with my client. This time, with the updated version, it seems to have worked on the first try. I will get my techs to keep a close eye on things and will report back right away if we encounter any further issues.

I hope you won't, but if it appears, please provide us with the scan info and FS snapshot to fix the issue.

PostPosted: March 17th, 2016, 16:13 

So maybe a fresh install of the new version does do the trick.... I haven't update it yet, so I can't say.

PostPosted: March 17th, 2016, 18:53 

I say same as Dmitri. UFS, i never had any problem UFS hanging when scanning a drive. Used it many many years as no1 tool especially for raid i really like it. Also using R-studio and sometimes Reclaim.

PostPosted: April 25th, 2016, 8:37 

Nice, just got word from another client from February who just let us know that they are missing the documents folders from both user profiles. Now that it is two months after the fact, we no longer have a clone or copy of their data here. Our only saving grace is that we sent them a file listing to review before we shipped the data out and they did not catch it then or within the 2 week window after they received the data.

I'm pretty sure that we were already aware that when doing a full recovery of the drive, R-Studio was dropping the Users folder, but as we were targeting the Users folder only, we had no reason to believe that it would skip the Documents folders (and Lord knows what else), from the recovery.

So, who pays to redo the recovery (or possibly a partial refund), assuming that the client can send back the original drive that took almost almost a week to image 99.97% of the sectors the first time?

PostPosted: April 25th, 2016, 13:17 

very sad ^^^ :(

PostPosted: April 27th, 2016, 11:01 

Many of our users, who aren't very experienced in data recovery, have asked us why they had been able to successfully recover their entire system disk, but the system would still not work. When we analyzed their cases, we found that the problem was in symlinks, which is why we introduced their recovery. By the way, ReclaimMe has confirmed that some customers really need this. In Version 8.0 (to be released in the nearest future), R-Studio will recover symlinks in its corporate version as it does now, but the Technician version will have several other symlink procession options such as disabling those symlinks completely.

PostPosted: April 28th, 2016, 1:31 

Just to understand, I'm a litte slow here.
In the nearest future i can get rid of symlinks if i pay 900$ / year for a Technician license
And symlinks will stay in R-Studio single license @ 80$ / year ?

PostPosted: April 28th, 2016, 8:11 

digisupport wrote:
Just to understand, I'm a litte slow here.
In the nearest future i can get rid of symlinks if i pay 900$ / year for a Technician license
And symlinks will stay in R-Studio single license @ 80$ / year ?

Sounds like it to me.

PostPosted: April 28th, 2016, 12:30 

R-Studio Standalone for US$79.99 or Network for US$179.99 are licensed per machine not per user and MAY NOT be transferred to another computer after the software is installed and registered once. Also, these licenses MAY NOT be used for serving third party computers and/or commercial gain of any kind. The software EULAs can be reviewed at our web site.

For data recovery services you may consider and use R-Studio Technician package only. The Technician package costs US$899 and the license never expires. Network versions for Windows, Mac and Linux OS are included in the package. You do not need to pay anything extra if you do not want to get regular updates and upgrades (support services). The fist year of the services is included in the license price and then you can renew the services for US$225/year.

PostPosted: April 28th, 2016, 13:11 

Thanks for clearing things up - I was aware of the per machine license, but must admit i missed the "commercial gain" part :oops:
Have upgraded to Technician package to cover my illegal use and will install it when a version without symlink is ready.

This dialog was never ment to discredit r-studio in any way, just wanted it to be the best.

PostPosted: April 28th, 2016, 15:02 

Thank you for letting us know. We may need to extend the licensing term information on our web site. We appreciate your business.

PostPosted: April 28th, 2016, 15:17 

Yes, I highly doubt that your typical PC repair shop is paying for the Technician license. Most are probably just using the $79 version. I think it's only those of us who are doing dedicated data recovery work and need to run the software on several stations & several different OS's that have gone with that version.