All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 239 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 12  Next
 Post subject: Re: HDDSuperClone - A new Linux hard drive cloning/imaging t
PostPosted: January 26th, 2020, 19:14 

This release adds a feature that allows targeting of used clusters on the disk, or sectors used by certain files, by importing byte (sector) map files created with DMDE while using the virtual disk driver. HDDSuperClone is becoming more powerful at data extraction with the use of DMDE.

Also, the author of DMDE is currently providing me with discount coupons for DMDE to give to those that purchase HDDSuperClone. More info can be found at the following link:
http://www.sdcomputingservice.com/hddsuperclone/dmde

HDDSuperClone Changelog
version 2.2.9 20200126
* Fixed an out of range bug when using a domain
* Added the new option Add to Domain from DMDE bytes file

PostPosted: February 2nd, 2020, 18:39 

Along with this release, I have added DMDE to the HDDLiveCD.

HDDSuperClone Changelog

version 2.2.10 20200202
* Fixed a bug with the log repair taking too long with a big file
* Improved Direct AHCI mode soft/hard reset post processing

PostPosted: February 2nd, 2020, 19:12 

So I released this new version late at night, and before I posted here late today someone had upgraded to this version and found the reset processing change was a useful improvement. Probably the only reason I know is they had a question and emailed me. But that is not the point of this post. Along with the report of better program operation and question, they also said this:
Quote:
“In any case, thank you again for the fantastic work. I also use RapidSpar, but it very often fails. As in this case. Thanks a lot.”

So someone is using HDDSuperClone Pro to handle a job that RapidSpar fails at. I think I am going to bask in this thought for awhile. Someone is using my $200 software to handle a job that a $2000 hardware tool fails at. I will try not to let this go to my head too bad… (too late)
8) 8) 8) :D :D :D :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :shock: :shock: :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: February 2nd, 2020, 22:17 

maximus wrote:
So I released this new version late at night, and before I posted here late today someone had upgraded to this version and found the reset processing change was a useful improvement. Probably the only reason I know is they had a question and emailed me. But that is not the point of this post. Along with the report of better program operation and question, they also said this:
Quote:
“In any case, thank you again for the fantastic work. I also use RapidSpar, but it very often fails. As in this case. Thanks a lot.”

So someone is using HDDSuperClone Pro to handle a job that RapidSpar fails at. I think I am going to bask in this thought for awhile. Someone is using my $200 software to handle a job that a $2000 hardware tool fails at. I will try not to let this go to my head too bad… (too late)
8) 8) 8) :D :D :D :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :shock: :shock: :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Congrats!!! That must feel great!

PostPosted: February 8th, 2020, 13:35 

New version released.

HDDSuperClone Changelog

version 2.2.11 20200206
* Added the timer option Always wait for reset timers
* Improved Direct AHCI mode to wait for drive ready DRDY

PostPosted: February 17th, 2020, 9:57 

New version released. Along with the program changes, the 64 bit live CD has been updated to lubuntu version 18.04.4 to improve the virtual driver stability. There were some major changes in Linux kernel 5.0 that seem to help to prevent lockups.

HDDSuperClone Changelog
version 2.2.12 20200216
* Fixed an error message when when opening an existing project
* Improved the virtual driver zero fill and marking
* Virtual Driver now works with Linux Kernel 5.3+
* Fixed a program crash when switching modes
* The Erase Destination mode can now be stoped and resumed
* Added information to the manual about the Erase Destination mode
* Added info to the manual about kernel versions with virtual disk driver

PostPosted: March 1st, 2020, 14:21 

New version released. The biggest improvement is the virtual disk driver is now capable of SCSI I/O, which can be used with DMDE I/O SCSI for improved stability. I also added the ability to change the current position from within the program instead of having to edit the log file, for advanced users that insist that they know where they want it to read from.

HDDSuperClone Changelog
version 2.2.13 20200229
* Internal timeout change in the virtual driver
* Added an advanced option to change the current position
* Improved the virtual disk driver stability
* Added SCSI I/O capability to the virtual driver

PostPosted: March 2nd, 2020, 12:45 

Just downloaded and installed the latest update.

I'm working my way through the videos at the moment. They are really helpful. One thing. You seem to prefer DMDE over R-Studio for data extraction now. What advantages does it give over R-Studio. Also, have you tried just using DMDE without HDDSuperClone first to compare the recovery success for each?

Thanks...

PostPosted: March 3rd, 2020, 19:22 

alfarom wrote:

I'm working my way through the videos at the moment. They are really helpful. One thing. You seem to prefer DMDE over R-Studio for data extraction now. What advantages does it give over R-Studio. Also, have you tried just using DMDE without HDDSuperClone first to compare the recovery success for each?

Thanks...

Good questions. I'd like those answers also.

DMDE compared to R-Studio ... strengths and weaknesses...

PostPosted: March 3rd, 2020, 19:38 

alfarom wrote:

Thanks...

I am almost certain I replied to this yesterday, but the post does not exist? :?: Good thing I saved it before posting, something I have learned over time...

The primary reason I recommend DMDE over R-Studio with the HDDSuperClone virtual disk driver is that it works better on the actual live recovery. The author of DMDE designed it to work with actual drives, so it works better at the sector level. As far as I can tell, R-Studio only reads down to 8 sector chunks, which means that a bad sector is going to be 8 bad sectors to R-Studio. This greatly affected the results my test recovery where I compared them.

If you watch the video where I compare them, at the end I say that if it was a recovery of a fully imaged drive, then R-Studio would likely perform just as well, possibly even better, but not saying it would do better.

A smart person could figure out that if you turn off the I/O errors in HDDSuperClone in the advanced settings (change it to marking for best results), then R-Studio would probably work as good. But then the only way to find files with errors would be to use the marking feature, and then search all the files for the marking pattern. Things could be complicated if you don’t know what you are doing.

A second reason that DMDE is better is that you can get a list of the sectors for the files you wish to recover, import it and then run HDDSuperClone to clone/image only the selected area. This is better because it recovers sequentially instead of jumping around to each file.

A third reason DMDE is better with the virtual driver is that I just added SCSI to the driver, and DMDE can be switched to I/O SCSI. But this is really only needed to help with the driver stability, and it was not considered in the original comparison as it was not implemented at the time.

PostPosted: March 4th, 2020, 8:49 

Thanks, very informative answer..

PostPosted: March 6th, 2020, 12:21 

I've watched most of the videos on the author's site now and they show just how powerful HDDSuperClone can be. I've learnt much about the product from watching (and rewatching) them. Many thanks..

PostPosted: June 24th, 2020, 0:05 

A new version of HDDSuperClone is available. The biggest change is that I have added some diagnostic information to the analyze results to help understand what may be wrong with the drive. It gives a percentage chance of a slow responding issue, partial access issue, and bad or weak head. A video of the new features can be found at the following link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLSf5rHyGPA

HDDSuperClone Changelog

version 2.2.17 20200623
* Added warnings in the SMART results
* Added the slow count to the display during analyze

version 2.2.16 20200620
* Made the analyze results window scrolled
* Added diagnostic information to the analyze results
* Added Current read time to the display
* The Recent read time is now recent instead of current

PostPosted: June 24th, 2020, 8:30 

Just installed it..

PostPosted: June 24th, 2020, 15:46 

Excellent Update!! ..Hope you will add Firmware Repair Tool in Pro' version in the future Updates.

PostPosted: June 24th, 2020, 17:45 

mich82 wrote:
Excellent Update!! ..Hope you will add Firmware Repair Tool in Pro' version in the future Updates.

Thanks. But firmware repair tools are not planned. If you knew how complicated that can be, then you would understand how much more you should appreciate the pro tools that are capable of such firmware repairs, and also the pros that can do it without tools.

PostPosted: June 25th, 2020, 0:44 

maximus wrote:
mich82 wrote:

Thanks. But firmware repair tools are not planned. If you knew how complicated that can be, then you would understand how much more you should appreciate the pro tools that are capable of such firmware repairs, and also the pros that can do it without tools.

Thanks, is HDDSuperClone Pro and Sediv Repair tool good enough for all round data recovery without any hardware tools?

PostPosted: June 25th, 2020, 22:11 

mich82 wrote:
maximus wrote:
mich82 wrote:

Thanks, is HDDSuperClone Pro and Sediv Repair tool good enough for all round data recovery without any hardware tools?

HDDSuperClone Pro can turn a computer into a simple hardware imager, in the fact that it can more directly access the disk and use timeouts to work with unstable drives. DMDE can be used through HDDSuperClone to target and extract data without needing to clone the whole disk. The combination could be considered similar to using an older DeepSpar DDI3 with R-Studio. The combo has the ability for data extraction on unstable drives, but it is incapable of working with firmware. It is meant to fill the gap between free software such as ddrescue, and the expensive hardware tools. It is more designed for the beginner, or a computer repair technician, to be able to recover drives that don't need clean room work or have major firmware issues. A recovery pro could also use it for the mild cases to free up their expensive hardware for the hard cases.

I cannot speak for what Sediv can do. From what I have read it would seem more towards repair to refurbish, not so much for data recovery, but I have never used it so I don't know. In any case if the drive requires firmware work, it can sometimes require firmware manipulation withing the recovery tool itself, which would be impossible using two separate tools.

PostPosted: June 26th, 2020, 8:00 

I can vouch for Maximus here. I use HDDSuperClone Pro with DMDE in my computer repair business and have had great success. Given the low price of both pieces of software and the fact you can test things with a two month licence it's ideal for somebody like me.

PostPosted: July 30th, 2020, 11:31 

maximus wrote:
I would like to introduce HDDSuperClone, a new advanced Linux based hard drive cloning/imaging tool. The current free version is comparable to gnu ddrescue, and should actually be better in some ways. Please visit the home page for more information.

http://www.sdcomputingservice.com/hddsuperclone

Just trying your HDD Super Clone, bought the pro version in July 2020, and feeling this is a good buy. Being able to do some retries on bad sectors and eventually skip when unrecoverable is the best feature of this software.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 239 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 12  Next