Tools for hard drive diagnostics, repair, and data recovery
July 5th, 2018, 20:02
New version 1.99.2.beta released:
version 1.99.2.beta 20180705
* Fixed the exit message when not run as root
* Fixed a bug with the slow skips count
* Fixed a bug with the last run size value
* Improved the skipping algorithm to help extend the range
* It will now stop when a skip reset happens
* New section in the manual to explain skip resets
* Most GUI messages now included in language translate
* The instruction manual is now available from the help menu
* Added an analyze function (pro version)
July 15th, 2018, 15:28
New version 1.99.3.beta released:
version 1.99.3.beta 20180714
* Added a SMART data function (pro version)
* Improved the auto passthrough identify results
* New section in the manual for 520 byte per sectors drives
* Installer now puts links in the application menu
* HDDSuperTool now lists modes if target not chosen
August 26th, 2018, 14:52
New version 2.0 released:
version 2.0 20180826
* Changed the message when choosing an existing image file
* Added option to use physical sector size as logigal for virtual disk
* Updated the EULA
* Reduced the number of translated languages
August 31st, 2018, 15:18
The PRO version is now available for purchase:http://www.sdcomputingservice.com/hddsu ... ro-version
Here are the features of the PRO version as of the time of this post:
PRO Version Features:
This is a list of the features that are only available with the PRO version. Please reference the user manual for further information on any of these features.
* The ability to directly access PATA (IDE) and SATA (AHCI) disk drives. With this direct access it is possible to send soft resets to both, and hard (COM) resets to SATA drives. This allows for using timeouts to perform the resets when the read operation is taking too long. This can greatly speed up the recovery of the good data, as it can skip over the problem areas much faster. This can also help prevent the drive from locking up and going offline, where it would otherwise require a power cycle. The direct access ability does require disabling (hiding) the drive in the OS.
* The Virtual Disk Driver, which will present the live recovery as a virtual disk to the OS. This allows for the use of third party programs such as R-Studio to access the failing source disk through HDDSuperClone. No data is read twice. If data requested has not been read, it will be cloned to the destination drive/image, and then passed on to the virtual disk. If the data requested has already been read, the data will be read from the destination and passed to the virtual disk. This allows for programs to perform data extraction and target just the desired files, without having the clone the entire disk, and while keeping those programs from thrashing on the failing disk.
* The ability to present the virtual disk with a different logical sector size. This can be useful when working with a disk as SATA that was originally USB, and as USB it reported with a logical sector size of 4096, but as SATA it reports with 512 byte logical sector size. Presenting the disk with its original logical sector size can help with data extraction.
* The ability to clone or image 520 byte-per-sector SAS (SCSI) drives. It can also clone them to a 512 byte-per-sector drive or image file, as desired. You must have a NON-RAID card installed for this operation.
* The ability to perform a quick analysis of the disk, so that you can have an idea of what to expect when attempting recovery.
* The ability to show SMART status for devices that support it.
* Allow a sector size other than 512 bytes.
* Allow using the Block Size option to optimize the handling of bad sectors for Advanced Format drives with 4096 bytes per physical sector.
* The Skip Fast option enables a more aggressive skipping algorithm during phase 1 and 2 to help speed up skipping out of a bad spot or bad head.
* Ability to use the ATA return data to mark bad sectors and improve the amount of good data read during the first 4 phases.
* The options Mark Bad Head and Read Bad Head allow the bad areas representing the bad head to be marked in the log, and skipped in any further passes if desired.
September 4th, 2018, 5:55
Let me start by thanking you for putting in the long hours and knowledge into creating a useful tool that, especially with its 30-day pro license option, is priced at what non-professionals can and/or are willing to pay. Please also excuse me for barging in if this is meant to be an announce thread rather than any sort of discussion / support kind of affair.
In any case, I am preparing to try and help out a friend rescue a failing Hitachi with some personal photos (what is wrong with the drive is a story for another day). I usually used ddrescue
in such cases but, but what caught my attention in HDDSuperClone
is its unique ability to create a live recovery setup with its virtual drive cabability. The way I understand this pro feature is that HSC would present a virtual disk to the host operating system that would allow me to mount one of its partitions and then try to recover only selected files from it, eg. located in a selected folder. That sounds like a gamechanger compared to ddrescue
: the drive is failing so if I have a hypothetical 5GB of reads left before it dies, I would much rather rescue personal photos than painfully image Windows system files
On to the question though! You give an example of R-Studio
that would be able to make use of this feature, but AFAIK R-Studio
is Windows only while HSC is Linux-only. Can you suggest a tool that would (1) recover selected folders / paths from a partition on a virtual drive presented by HSC and (2) can run on the same operating system as HSC? What software have you tried this scenario with?
Ps. As someone who occasionally sells something on eBay with payments coming through PayPal, I feel your pain with transaction fees
September 4th, 2018, 8:46
Sorry, just came across the manual and it mentions R-Studio
, UFS Explorer
, and DMDE
so please disregard my question
I have to say I'm loving this tool already for its data preview. Playing with a known good drive for now but it's looking promising.
September 8th, 2018, 2:18
HDDSuperClone version 2.0.1 released.
version 2.0.1 20180908
* Fixed a bug with installing the pro version activation file
* Fixed a bug with the virtual mode buttons in the free version
* Added info in the manual about the domain with virtual mode buttons
September 8th, 2018, 2:25
The way I understand this pro feature is that HSC would present a virtual disk to the host operating system that would allow me to mount one of its partitions and then try to recover only selected files from it, eg. located in a selected folder. That sounds like a gamechanger compared to ddrescue: the drive is failing so if I have a hypothetical 5GB of reads left before it dies, I would much rather rescue personal photos than painfully image Windows system files
Yes, that is intended to be a game changer. While it could be possible to do using the OS file system itself, I do recommend using a third party recovery tool instead (such as the ones mentioned). I only have a paid (and outdated) version of R-Studio, so that is what I used for the example. Also, I think that UFS Explorer has evolved into something else with a different name.
September 10th, 2018, 18:10
HDDSuperClone version 2.0.2 released.
version 2.0.2 20180909
* Improved the virtual driver stability
* Added the Slow Driver checkbutton
* Removed the button colors from the bottom status bar by default
* Added an advanced option to enable button colors in the status bar
October 14th, 2018, 9:42
HDDSuperClone version 2.0.3 released.
version 2.0.3 20181013
* Removed some alpha USB code that could cause a library error
* Made changes to the help option to show the manual
* Fixed a couple typos in the program
* Fixed a bug with autopassthrough on some usb drives
The next release should have capability for USB relay control for power cycles (pro version only).
October 20th, 2018, 17:02
HDDSuperClone version 2.1.0 released.
version 2.1.0 20181020
* Added the ability to control a relay in the Pro version
October 30th, 2018, 20:53
HDDSuperClone version 2.1.2 released.
version 2.1.2 20181029
* Updated the virtual driver section in the manual
* Made changes to some internal debugging code
* Removed the command line option to set the virtual disk name
* Fixed an internal GTK label error
* Fixed a bug with generic mode where all reads would fail
November 17th, 2018, 22:04
HDDSuperClone version 2.1.3 released.
version 2.1.3 20181117
* Fixed a bug where the base skip size was not saved
* Updated the user manual section for hiding a drive
December 5th, 2018, 22:19
HDDSuperClone version 2.1.4 released, and also HDDSCViewer version 0.7.alpha
version 2.1.4 20181204
* Added read time info to the progress log
version 0.7.alpha 20181204
* Reduceded the number of available languages for translation
* Improved the processing speed when scrolling
* Added additional main grid sizes
* Fixed a bug where some blocks were not correct status
December 24th, 2018, 16:01
HDDSuperClone version 2.1.5 released. All of the changes are for the Pro version. Other than fixing a typo that is not documented in the changelog, there is no functionality change to the free version.
version 2.1.5 20181222
* Fixed a bug where using a relay caused fill mode to fail
* Added an initial reset in direct mode when choosing the source
* Disabled the main window while processing the source
* The driver will now start automatically on 32 bit memory error
December 24th, 2018, 16:09
Thanks for the update !
We will be looking forward to see how "Rebuild Assist" will be implemented in future versions of hddsuperclone ...
Keep up with the great work !
January 2nd, 2019, 16:04
HDDSuperClone version 2.1.6 released.
version 2.1.6 20190102
* Now shows message for unsupported sector size in the free version
* Fixed a bug where SCSI passthrough could report drive sized changed
January 19th, 2019, 15:17
HDDSuperClone version 2.1.7 released. This version fixed an elusive bug with direct AHCI mode, where I now feel there should be little to no hardware compatibility issues with different computers.
version 2.1.7 20190116
* Fixed a missing error message when chosing the source
* Improved how the progress log is written to help avoid corruption
* The domain file is no longer written if it is not being used
* Fixed a bug with direct AHCI mode
February 3rd, 2019, 19:36
HDDSuperClone 2.1.8 released.
version 2.1.8 20190203
* Improved how trimming handles major errors
* Added 0.5 sec to the first read soft reset time
* Fixed a bug where phase logs were disabled if no log backup
* Fixed a bug where the phase logs setting was not saved
* Added an additional message when cloning stops for any reason
* Fixed a bug where SCSI mode would still use ATA identify data
* Added the Tools menu option Display Identify Results
* Enable using ATA return is now on by default in pro version
Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group.