All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Which tests should i run on new hard drives to discard defec
PostPosted: June 12th, 2016, 14:51 

Got some drives and also a few seagate backup plus portable 4tb ones among them. I also want to resell some i have. I want to stay sure all drives are defective free as much as i can, before trusting those any data, or selling others. How can you fully scan and then burn in test (to discover any damage that may show only under stress and not in idle) each drive to be sure each one is 100% flawless.

Note the order of each test with each software or tool recommended, incase it is better to do one before the other (like maybe first stress tests then the surface scanning ones, or whatever).

Post subject: Re: Which tests should i run on new hard drives to discard d
PostPosted: June 12th, 2016, 18:41 

Whats your opinion on seagate seatools. One of the units have failed to pass short generic test with a warning basically telling the unit is unusable.

PostPosted: June 12th, 2016, 23:17 

Not a single unit pass short generic test. 5 units seagate backup plus 4tb usb. they come with usb 3 but my pc only have usb 2. I have tested them on all back ports (the mobo ones). 3 of them fail to pass and give a report, the other 2 stuck in the second part of the short generic test called zone scan at 0%, or at least they do for at least 60 min without reaching 1% so i abort the test cuz i suppose it is not working.

Ive tried contacting seagate but there is no mail.

I find absurd to conclude that the 5 units are defective. It makes more sense to conclude there is a problem with how seatools handles these usb drives through usb 2 to do the short generic test.

Do you have any idea, or know how to move this issue to seagate. All support looks like selfservice, or to return a unit, but not a way to simply send them the reports and ask if this is normal. I can obviously take all the units and drop em in the shelf of the commerce, but i need to handle this forward. Having to look again for units pffff.

But even if this were a normal error on usb units on a usb 2 port, how would i be supposed to test them anyway.

PostPosted: June 13th, 2016, 1:43 

Spildit wrote:
Please read here : -

http://www.hddoracle.com/viewtopic.php?f=117&t=1393

Also if you plan on selling used drives please do read here as well :

http://www.hddoracle.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1409

Spildit ,
Why Not Posts Few Of Your More Commonly Used Posts On HDDguru And Then Redirect The Clients To The Same Forums Other Then Redirecting Them To Your Forum.Quite Unprofessional Doing this Over And Over again ,Might Be Little Professionalism That You Teach Others Can Be Used By You Yourself .

Website-> http://www.chandigarhdatarecovery.com

PostPosted: June 13th, 2016, 1:47 

userwords wrote:
Not a single unit pass short generic test. 5 units seagate backup plus 4tb usb. they come with usb 3 but my pc only have usb 2. I have tested them on all back ports (the mobo ones). 3 of them fail to pass and give a report, the other 2 stuck in the second part of the short generic test called zone scan at 0%, or at least they do for at least 60 min without reaching 1% so i abort the test cuz i suppose it is not working.

Ive tried contacting seagate but there is no mail.

I find absurd to conclude that the 5 units are defective. It makes more sense to conclude there is a problem with how seatools handles these usb drives through usb 2 to do the short generic test.

Do you have any idea, or know how to move this issue to seagate. All support looks like selfservice, or to return a unit, but not a way to simply send them the reports and ask if this is normal. I can obviously take all the units and drop em in the shelf of the commerce, but i need to handle this forward. Having to look again for units pffff.

But even if this were a normal error on usb units on a usb 2 port, how would i be supposed to test them anyway.

Well,
Using USB 2.0 To Connect USB 3.0 Will Not Result in any error .Use a Good Sector Scanning And HDD Smart Testing Tool And You Will Get To Know The Exact Condition .Also Then You Can Erase Each Sector And Sell The Drives

Website-> http://www.chandigarhdatarecovery.com