All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Software and cloning methodes not getting along.
PostPosted: August 31st, 2016, 10:48 

I set everything up on a SSD drive that I will call the (ssd revert to drive B) I then took that drive and cloned it to my second SSD drive that I will call ( Main Drive A)

IF I want to make permanent changes to my setup. I plug the (ssd revert to drive) and make these changes- like little programs I want to add or fixes I need to make- Updates to software and that.

I want to use ( Main Drive A) A as my working drive - it is cloned from (ssd revert to drive B).

So I got everything all setup on (ssd revert to drive B Samsung ) and cloned it to ( Main Drive A)
and booted up ( Main Drive A ) and all my software knows its on a different size type of disk. Word does not work right at all and my other software wants a new registration. What makes me really nervous is the fact that word suddenly has all these bugs in it. THis did not work out.
MY method has failed. My nice idea does not work.
My goal is to have a known good drive I can boot to and use just like that and not have to mess around. I am trying to seal up a hole in the business plan as best I can. IF a computer goes south it can cascade into disaster for an organization. My Job is to prevent this.
A known good provable to work os backup drive is in order.

If I do this same thing with two PNY 120 ssd gig drives- will this all work out ?

If I clone to the second drive sector by sector would this all work out. ?

Main Drive A = Crucail brand 120gb
(ssd revert to drive B). = 120 gb 840evo samsung

I could simply use a good imaging program and these problems might disappear but I can not prove the image will restore and I can not boot to an image to prove it usefull.
I know for a fact that there are no problems cloning a clean install of my OS from one dive to another. When I purchased this dell the first thing I did was clone the original ssd to (ssd revert to drive B). I do this with all my computers right away so I don't have to be forced to update my os when my computer needs a os re-install .