All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Where do I start? first tools
PostPosted: January 27th, 2017, 10:39 

Hello everyone,

I just got a laminar flow bench for a ridiculous price, and wanted to start with data recovery. I've read hundreds of pages here and on hddoracle, and ok I understand must of how a drive works, but... what would be a start up package to begin with? I mean software and hardware related.

If a person is millionaire will pc3000 be enough? I am being rough here, there is no way I have that amount of money now.

I would like to know what would you recommend to start with, software for imaging etc. I would like to be able to fix the most common things like corrupted firmware and bad heads, and I would like those tools to still be useful in the future. What would be the good money for the value to do these common things?

Regards

Post subject: Re: Where do I start? first tools
PostPosted: January 27th, 2017, 22:00 

I think you can start with DMDE FOR DATA RECOVERY, it is very cheap
For repair HDD you can start with SeDiv,it is very good and cheap price now

QQ: 2766349138
Mobile: 00201002359000

PostPosted: January 28th, 2017, 11:42 

speakerbox wrote:
Hello everyone,

I just got a laminar flow bench for a ridiculous price, and wanted to start with data recovery. I've read hundreds of pages here and on hddoracle, and ok I understand must of how a drive works, but... what would be a start up package to begin with? I mean software and hardware related.

If a person is millionaire will pc3000 be enough? I am being rough here, there is no way I have that amount of money now.

I would like to know what would you recommend to start with, software for imaging etc. I would like to be able to fix the most common things like corrupted firmware and bad heads, and I would like those tools to still be useful in the future. What would be the good money for the value to do these common things?

Regards

- SeDiv is only $300 and supports WD, Seagate, Samsung, Toshiba and Hitachi. It doesn' have hardware and doesn't have a cloning facility.

- To clone drives the cheaper alternative that have hardware would be a MRT Pro for about $3000 but it's very buggy.

- You might want to consider a DDI4 to image/clone even if you search for a used tool - viewtopic.php?f=15&t=34046

- Best way to start is by reading ALL the links here - http://www.hddoracle.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=176

- For WD drives the most powerfull tool that i've ever used, even comparing with PC3K is the SeDiv for WD, but the tool that i like the most and i find it to be EASY and better for people who are starting and attempting to learn how WD drives work is the WDMarvel.

- There are free tools as well that support very few drives like WDR, SRT, etc - http://www.hddoracle.com/viewforum.php?f=11 - chck all the tools there. There are tools that are DEMOs and can read (but not write). This will provide an idea on how firmware works.

- Also check all the tools here - http://www.hddoracle.com/viewforum.php?f=22 and here - http://www.hddoracle.com/viewforum.php?f=120

- If you are starting at working with firmware i would say go get FREE tools even if tey support only one drive or two. Then get drives that work with those tools and play with it. That way you will figure out if working with firmware is what you really want to do. Better that go and buy a PC-3000 to discover after some days that you can't work with firmware or you don't like it or it's way diferent than you were expecting, etc .... PC3000 will support all drives that you will encounter (hopefully) and ACE will update it to support new drives as well, but it's a lot of money to send to the garbage if you can't justify the use of it.

- My favourite hardware based tool of all times is HRT-DRE 5.0 UDMA but ... they no longer make it (BVG) and it's close to impossible to find anyone with one that is willing to sell it. You can use those cards with modern tools like SeDiv as well to compensate for the lack of updates from BVG and you can still use it as very good hardware cloning/imaging sollution.

- Always practice with your own drives. But damaged drives or get some from local computer repair shop. Ask your friends as well, maybe they have old damaged drives that they no longer want. Try to fix them with free or cheap tools.

- You can't reliably fix a drive that failed already. Even if you run self-scan and do cosmetic fix. What you can do is to fix the drive in a way that hopefully will get you access to the user data. Then you recover the data to a new drive.

Hope that this helps to get you started, at least at a firmware level.

PostPosted: January 28th, 2017, 12:16 

Thank you very VERY MUCH guys for all the help and info :)

PostPosted: January 28th, 2017, 12:21 

speakerbox wrote:
Thank you very VERY MUCH guys for all the help and info :)

No problem !!!

Plese do go get some tools and old drives that are supported by those tools and do post here or on the HDDOracle if you have any problems !!! As soon as you start to play with those tools you will have a huge amount of questions but with the drive and tools near you you will have a better idea of what it looks like to manipulate the drive firmware.

And of course each brand is diferent and even inside the same brands there are significant diferences.

A native Toshiba will have the majority of CPs stored on ROM while a Seagate will have the majority of code on the platter. A seagate F3 will be completly diferent from a ST-10, and so on ...

So there are lots of things to learn as all drives have their own way of working ...

Regards and happy learning.