All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: What is the Most Powerfull tool for Seagate Refurbishing?
PostPosted: June 22nd, 2017, 15:48 

Hi friends, i am interested on buy a seagate hdd refurbishing software tool.
I know about some tools, but capabilities of decrypting new models and depoping heads are limited to few models only. I am thinking on tool capable of full recertifying as many models as posible, and also the best support service.

It is a DFL-SRP USB3.0 Seagate Firmware Repair Tool a good choice?

thanks in advanced,
Oleg.

Post subject: Re: What is the Most Powerfull tool for Seagate Refurbishing
PostPosted: June 23rd, 2017, 11:44 

Spiiildiiiiiiiit:

You do not transmit me optimism!!! I can not force people to buy Hitachi.

By the other way, if people buy Seagate and it fails, i have work, if buy Hitachi and do not fails, i haven't work!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Serious, i would like to hear opinions about DFL-SRP USB3.0 Seagate Firmware Repair Tool..

PostPosted: June 23rd, 2017, 18:49 

But if you "fix" a drive and sell it to someone, and then said drive fails, will you provide data recover for free ?
They surely will consider it to be part of the warranty.

PostPosted: June 24th, 2017, 8:28 

I would say this is the best way to refurbish Seagate drives:

Then sell the aluminum to HGST and have them build a quality drive with it. :D

PostPosted: June 24th, 2017, 9:00 

Seriously. If you cover up a failing drive's damage and sell it as a stable refurb, you are no better than any other scammer. Clearly the OP has made it clear that he'd rather profit from selling junk than to offer reliability to their client.

PostPosted: June 24th, 2017, 9:00 

Wouldn´t the recycled aluminun carry over some curse from its previous unfortunate seagate life ?

And for the OP : I know this is not what you want to hear. but "fixing" some bad models of hdds has more chance to cause problems than happiness. We have done that in the past, fixed hdds/boards/appliances that we felt they should be scrapped because they were worh nothing. After some time, when we took a look and had some discussions about it, we saw that almost all of them fixes had brought us repeating problems, and troublesome customers. The net gain was negative, because even with the few parts that didn´t come back, the others caused us grief, lost time, lost money, and people complaining and getting angry. Even when we had explained in clear, direct terms, that we would try the fix but would not be responsible if it failed in a couple days. People seem reasonable only when they think they can save a few bucks. When they have to face their bad decisions, they want to find a scape goat.

That is why now we deem some things as unfixable, or when it is something easy and fast to do, just do it as a courtesy for the customer. and explain, in very clear terms , that we won´t charge them anything, and if it fails again they are to throw it in the trash.

As for the DFL, yes, it works for what you want to do.
But I insist that you consider if you really want to do that. Here in my city, thinking as a customer, after buying ( or hearing from others ) just a couple of refurb disks from you that failed, you would get, and everybody would be also sure to divulge it, the reputation of selling crap defective disks to people and then trying to charge them for recovering their data.

I do not mean to sound harsh, but I have been confronted with the choice between not earning some money and have people (rightfully) complaining to me, some times in front of other customers that I would prefer not see this kind of complaint, If I use the time I didn´t spend in fixing that crap to study and research, I can have better returns in other jobs that won´t bring me ill feelings from customers.

Just my $ 0.20c

PostPosted: June 24th, 2017, 15:50 

Don't waste your money for spesial SW. All you need is a COM port terminal and a few commands you can find on Internet. The Seagate F3> drives allow to be recertified, so if the drive pass the test - sell it, if not - trash it. And clean the SMART.... Cutting a head is not practical because nobody is willing to buy such a drive.

PostPosted: June 25th, 2017, 3:25 

Spildit wrote:
BGman wrote:
(...)And clean the SMART.... (...)

Sure ... and sell a "damaged" DM as a brand new drive ....

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

This is what Seagate does. Haven't seen those drives labeled "Factory resertified" ? :D :D

In fact a "damaged" drive cannot pass the sertified test and this is the criteria which one is good and which is "damaged".
You know very well that ALL brand new drives have thousends of deallocated sectors. Are they selling us "damaged" drives?

PostPosted: June 25th, 2017, 4:52 

BGman wrote:
You know very well that ALL brand new drives have thousends of deallocated sectors. Are they selling us "damaged" drives?

The P-list reflects media defects/imperfections. The G-list reflects degraded or damaged media or heads. The former are acceptable, the latter are not.

AISI, a recertified drive where a substantial G-list has been moved to the P-list cannot be trusted. Nor would I trust a recertified drive where a head had been disabled.

PostPosted: June 25th, 2017, 5:43 

Don Oleg wrote:
I know about some tools, but capabilities of decrypting new models and depoping heads are limited to few models only. I am thinking on tool capable of full recertifying as many models as posible, and also the best support service.

thanks in advanced,
Oleg.

Oleg ,
I will answer your question properly .Kindly understand that the firmware Does not have any space or module for a self scan script .The missing script means you have to use some external tool which will communicate with the hdd using vendor specific commands or the terminal to issue commands to the drive firmware to do a specific task .Now when you say refurb it can mean a number of things .Lets talk about them one by one

1 : Drive just has some bad sectors : in this case you can scan sectors and add the defects in a defect list then do a smart reset and its ok

2 : Drive assuming has 2 heads ,One head is dead but its not broken / Bend / Not #@$@#$ the platter : In this case you can disable 1 head and work with the rest at reduced quality

3 : Drive has one head bad and that head is touching the platter and metal dust has started to form into drive : In this case its good to bin the drive

Ps : Now many will argue that how will you find the drive heads and platters are releasing metal dust into the chassis of the closed drive .The answer to such a question is that you can try a head cut and then put that drive to real world operation for 2 weeks or a week if it fails the platter are gone and you should bin the drive otherwise its safe to use .

Website-> http://www.chandigarhdatarecovery.com

PostPosted: June 25th, 2017, 6:10 

fzabkar wrote:
The P-list reflects media defects/imperfections. The G-list reflects degraded or damaged media or heads.

Not true. Examples:
1.The HDD is working at elevated temperatures or under vibrations, some sectors become unreadable and therefore reallocated by the drive. Clear G-list and at normal conditions rewrite (zerofill) the hard drive. And voila - no bad sectors, no pendings.

2.Surface looks unreadable, many red and green blocks, G-list is full, many pending sectors.
Clear G-list and Relo-list, calibrate the heads, doing internal format and again - the drive looks perfect! Pass all tests.

Never happened to you, Frank? I don't think so.... :D

PostPosted: June 25th, 2017, 6:16 

Spildit wrote:
And you can't run SS on those like you used to do on ST-10 drives (7200.10 and older).

The same is valid for the Hitachi drives that you preffer.

PostPosted: June 25th, 2017, 11:14 

In the name of science, what would be the command to recertify a seagate through the terminal ? I have some F3´s waiting to be used in the experiments of cutting heads, and I have no problem in killing them "for the advancement of science".

And before someone asks, no, I do not intend to sell them. I will experiment on them, otherwise they will be dismantled, the magnets repurposed, and the other metal parts given to the recycling people.

PostPosted: June 26th, 2017, 16:22 

Hi all.

Unfortunately most answers go in wrong direction or may be i used the wrong word. Who are talking about selling? Refurbish = Sell or Refurbish = Repair? Let see and example. A client come to me with an undetectable 1tb hdd. The hdd has 1 or 2 heads not reading SA or User Area. I take donor fw, depop bad heads and come back hdd to the life as refurbished 750GB or 500 GB HDD. Thats what i am talking about.

I have repaired hdd from all brands about 4-5 years even without professional tools and major of their still are working fine. I hate people who always say throw it in the trash. Most of failures in all electronic equipments are repairable with 100% guaranteed. I speak with propriety, because i do that, thats my work and that is the sustenance of my family, i am REPAIRER, not SELLER, not scammer.

Having said that, please, no more mention scammer word, it is insulting.

I want to read posts like Amarbir. Precisely thas what i am looking for. I have Sediv, it can play with heads on seagate, but just a few models and only one disk at time. DFL can work with 2 sata and 1 ide hdds at same time, and have more models supported.

thanks in advanced,
Oleg.

PostPosted: June 26th, 2017, 16:37 

Quote:
Then sell the aluminum to HGST and have them build a quality drive with it

I have repaired thousands of hdd Seagate, WD, Samsung, Toshiba, no one Hitachi HGST. All is relative. And you can be sure, all fails. I lost a 3 month Hitachi Desktar HDD with all my info, i can't repaired it, because few tools and most of their do nothing with Hitachi. Don't dream with depop head on HGST!!!

PostPosted: June 27th, 2017, 11:19 

I have a feeling that on this thread we are comparing apples to oranges. Due to trade sanctions by the USA, Cuba has limped by on a lot of old (repaired a million times) things. Just google "Cuban streets" and look at the age of the cars on the roads.

I suspect the OP is talking about much older drives he's refurbishing than what most of us are accustomed to recovering data from. I'm sure if he spends some time dealing with ST3000DM001 nightmares he'll come around to our way of looking at refurbished Seagate drives. Much older drives, on the other hand, actually stood a chance to be refurbished and still work for some time.

PostPosted: June 28th, 2017, 16:47 

We are ready to buy faulty seagate hdd, from all over the wot world. Dectection required. Delivery at UAE.

00 971 55 933 82 88 whatapp.

PostPosted: June 29th, 2017, 6:17 

Spildit wrote:
I can't see how DFL will be any better than even manual terminal command to "refurb" F3 arch drives .... Of course assuming you are not cutting heads ....

At any rate if you were able to refurb so many drives from so many brands without any tools then congratulations.

:D

LOL,
Why is your heart always burned out ,Do you drink coffee too much most of the time i feel you over flaunt your knowledge leading to a overall negative atmosphere ,We all should create a ambient environment many time you cross that thin line where the other party does get a little heart ache .Is there something i can send from india to cool you a little bit .Why say all of this to verify he is saying right or wrong just ask him a few questions about how he is refurb drives and we all will know if he is right or wrong .

cool down : i have written in the way you like specially :mrgreen:

Website-> http://www.chandigarhdatarecovery.com

PostPosted: June 29th, 2017, 9:13 

Don Oleg wrote:
I have repaired thousands of hdd Seagate, WD, Samsung, Toshiba, no one Hitachi HGST.

This is strange. I have repaired mostly Hitachi drives.Maybe not thousands but several hundreds for sure. They are so easy to fix if the problem is only a number of reallocated sektors....The question is what to do with the others .

PostPosted: June 29th, 2017, 10:32 

Please, lets read my initial post again:

Quote:

So:

1- I am talking about seagate only.
2- I am talking of decripting new fw (like ST1000DM003, ST1000LM035....), depoping heads (for 7200.14 for example), playing with bad zones... Nothing of this can be done by terminal commands!!!
3- I'm asking for opinions about DFL, no one has talked about it....

Spildit:
Quote:
I can't see how DFL will be any better than even manual terminal command to "refurb" F3 arch drives .... Of course assuming you are not cutting heads ....

You assuming wrong, i am talking about cutting heads, backup and decripting fw, and much more...

Quote:
At any rate if you were able to refurb so many drives from so many brands without any tools then congratulations.

I was able to repair many hdds, but unable to repair many others... I can give you more stadistics: Without pro tools 2-3 out of 10 hdds, with Sediv almost 5 hdds out of 10 and for WD in particular may be even 6-7 out.

I don't know why you put negative in this topic :shock:

Last edited by Don Oleg on June 29th, 2017, 10:46, edited 1 time in total.