All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Cell phone data recovery
PostPosted: July 25th, 2017, 14:41 

Hi Guys,

I'm looking into starting recovery on cell phones. Can anyone give me some suggestions of software/hardware for iphone/android cell phone data recovery?
I understand most people do not want to spend much money when it comes to data recovery on phones, but I was looking for more inexpensive options in cell phone data recovery. I cannot justify investing in the cellebrite.
Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Don Anderson
Tri-State Data Recovery
http://www.PhiladelphiaDriveRecovery.com

Post subject: Re: Cell phone data recovery
PostPosted: July 25th, 2017, 23:20 

Hi,
Look at VNR - Rusolut.com There is a lot of research and updates to the tools are happening constantly.

Other options are frequenting phone unlocking/hacking forums, buying boxes and learning. not going to be an easy task to cater for the vast number of phones and the encryption stuff

PostPosted: July 26th, 2017, 8:37 

Thanks for that information. I'm thinking about starting with Samsung and Iphones since they are the most common. Any particular piece of equipment I should start with? Hardware/Software?
I'd like to test this out to see if it's worth investing in.

Thanks

PostPosted: July 26th, 2017, 14:44 

Hello how are you?

sorry my english is very bas i try to explain my self in the better way i can.

Frist my experience is with android phones, iphone is another world

You dont have tools by brand of cell phone, to begin and recover data from dead cell phones the rusolut adapters is very fine and if you want buy the vnr to extract the contacts and sms, you can do this with a simple python script to.

In the place i work we are talking about buy the cellebrite tool, i see few videos in youtube people work to in the data recovery and they have a good opinion. Take carefull with dr phone this software can kill a phone.

I hope this can help you

PostPosted: July 26th, 2017, 17:42 

MrAndersons wrote:
Thanks for that information. I'm thinking about starting with Samsung and Iphones since they are the most common. Any particular piece of equipment I should start with? Hardware/Software?

Thanks

Just do yourself a favor and forget about the iPhones. All the new ones are encrypted, so chip off recovery is out. Unless you want to spend your days competing with the local cell phone repair shop fixing phones it's a waste of your effort there. Soon Androids will all be the same way (latest version encrypts data as well).

PostPosted: July 27th, 2017, 8:56 

Hello Data-Medics how are you?

I talk with Sasha and him tell me which most cell phones do not encrypt the internal memorie, and rusolut is working in a ufs reader. Multicom sale a ufs reader is expensive usd 1700, for only reade cell phone memories, and they promote it for data recovery .

PostPosted: July 27th, 2017, 9:04 

data-medics wrote:
MrAndersons wrote:

Thanks

Just do yourself a favor and forget about the iPhones. All the new ones are encrypted, so chip off recovery is out. Unless you want to spend your days competing with the local cell phone repair shop fixing phones it's a waste of your effort there. Soon Androids will all be the same way (latest version encrypts data as well).

Yes, this has always been my concern getting involved with phone data recovery...

PostPosted: July 27th, 2017, 11:03 

MrAndersons wrote:

Thanks

you will need to invest a lot if you decided to walk to that door Don
there is NO ONE BOX SOLUTION

sometimes you get more results "of deleted SMS for example" from tool to another

and once you Open a Door you will end-up with 5 more doors PAYING your TICKET-IN heheheh

I suggest to start here: http://www.forensicfocus.com

good luck

PostPosted: July 28th, 2017, 15:51 

einstein9 wrote:
MrAndersons wrote:

Thanks

sometimes you get more results "of deleted SMS for example" from tool to another

and once you Open a Door you will end-up with 5 more doors PAYING your TICKET-IN heheheh

good luck

Thank you. I'm still deciding if this is a path I want to go down. Sounds like more of a headache than it's worth...

PostPosted: July 28th, 2017, 21:52 

MrAndersons wrote:
einstein9 wrote:
MrAndersons wrote:

Thanks

good luck

Thank you. I'm still deciding if this is a path I want to go down. Sounds like more of a headache than it's worth...

Sounds like you are starting to understand it then :-)~

But I do believe it can be viable, but I also don't think you could really get into it enough to do so unless you were well funded to get going, and also were doing it full time with at least 2 people. There is just way too much research involved that is not paying, and anyone that disagrees probably already comes from a background of phone hacking ar at least some kind of low level hardware stuff. Even at the lowest level of buying a "box" to suit certain phones, the add-on model of these tools mean you would be spending quite a bit of money, and constantly chasing the next development in phones that can break everything you have previously learnt.

At least with VNR the tool is so worth it for other things as well.