All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: My Cloud Mirror 16 Tb ext reading problem
PostPosted: October 9th, 2017, 11:50 

Hi all,

I recently receive a My Cloud Mirror 16 Tb (RAID-1 with 2 8Tb disks). Disk 1 with bad sectors, the client formatted this one and now he donĀ“t have access to data.

I check disk 2 with UFS and others and I can see 3 ext partitions. None of them contains file structure. The partition is not encrypted (I see many valid text strings in Winhex, and I can recover a lot of data doing a raw recovery), but in this case, it is needed to obtain the original structure (names and dates).

I already check in WD forums but I only get one clue: Someone say The My Cloud does not use a standard Linux build. It was built with 64k page size rather than the normal 4k.

So please... How can I change the page size with Winhex, UFS or PC3k to see if this is the problem? Anyone can point me in the right direction?

Thank you very much in advance...

Post subject: Re: My Cloud Mirror 16 Tb ext reading problem
PostPosted: October 10th, 2017, 2:28 

16 TB with 2x 8 TB disks cannot be RAID1. RAID1 would have been 8 TB, same as disk size. 16 TB config on two 8 TB disks is either RAID0 (unlikely since raw recovery would not have been possible) or JBOD.

Either R-Studio or ReclaiMe should be able to read the volume as far as I know.

Post subject: Re: My Cloud Mirror 16 Tb ext reading problem
PostPosted: October 10th, 2017, 9:02 

@Alexey I'm assuming the OP is suggesting that the model of unit is the My Could Mirror 16TB. It only means that it capable of a max capacity of 16TB, but can be setup as an 8TB volume, when setup as a mirror. That said, it is entirely possible that you are correct and it was setup as a 16TB volume by a user who just didn't know any better.

With the one drive being formatted, we can only hope that the OP is correct and it was a mirror...otherwise, finding a file structure just got a lot more complicated.

@spatecc, you might need to pay someone to remotely assist you. Send me a PM if you'd like me to take a look.