Switch to full style
Tools for hard drive diagnostics, repair, and data recovery
Post a reply

RAID 6 with 2 drives missing

February 22nd, 2018, 12:05

I've got a case here now with 12 x 4TB SAS drives in a RAID-6 with a 3 drive failure from a Dell Perc RAID controller.

R-Explorer - setup with 2 missing drives, with the known order and BS, using the default RAID 6 config, data is immediately accessible

R-Studio - setup with 2 missing drives, with the know order, BS and RAID config, data is not accessible. The only way to get it to work is to include the clone of a stale drive and only have 1 missing disk. So, basically, it seems R-Studio only supports 1 missing disk for RAID 6

ReclaiMe PRO - this program won't even let you add 2 missing disks for a RAID 6 manual config. Just as R-Studio, it would appear that it only works with 1 missing disk in a RAID 6 recovery

Is this unique to my case or has anyone else also noticed this issue with these programs. At the very least, it is a huge feather in R-Explorer's hat.

Re: RAID 6 with 2 drives missing

February 27th, 2018, 18:25

you can use ups explorer raid recovery...is the best for auto reconstruct raid 6.

February 27th, 2018, 23:57

By the way, it's UFS and not ups. I recently used ReclaiMe standard to recover RAID 5 with only 3 drives and one drive missing from these 3 and it worked fine.

February 28th, 2018, 0:19

1. UFS Explorer is just an old version of R-Exploere
2. There is a big difference between 1 drive missing from a RAID-5 and 2 drives missing from RAID-6

February 28th, 2018, 5:13

@ lcoughey

PM sent.. :wink:

February 28th, 2018, 10:56

In a response from R-Studio support on their forum, they said that a RAID-6 mdadm software RAID works with 2 drives missing in their test case. So, I suppose it is possible that the issue with R-Studio might be limited to hardware RAID-6 configurations and possibly just larger arrays.

March 22nd, 2018, 10:58

We've found and fixed this bug in this new build of R-Studio.

March 25th, 2018, 10:30

I'm glad that it was a glitch and not just me being stupid...and also glad I was able to make it known so you could fix it.
Post a reply