All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Help with HDDSuperClone ?!
PostPosted: March 3rd, 2018, 13:55 

So I did get a portable 2.5 Toshiba drive in for recovery.

Drive is one HDTB105EK3AA with a "MQ" Toshiba inside.

As the client will not pay a single cent for this (apart from a new hard drive) and because i'm using the HRT card to image another 500 GB drive with important data (and it only have one port so it can only do one drive at a time) i did decide to use/test the HDDSuperClone on this Toshiba.

It did clone the drive nicely on the first stepts. I didn't even bother to connect the drive to SATA. I die check the enclosure and the drive itself can be removed without any problem but i did use a "spare" laptop to clone it by USB as again it's not something that i will recieve $$$ from and i can't afoard to plug the drie to my main system now as it's in use with other projects, so i did use a spare old laptop to clone the damaged Toshiba to another 500 GB Toshiba.

Here :

Attachment:
1.jpg
1.jpg [ 101.62 KiB | Viewed 4593 times ]

I'm still missing a "patch" of data of 3.5 GB. All the rest is cloned already and that "patch" is near the 130 GB position.

I can't make timeouts less than 1000 . I would like to set it to clone with a very low timeout like 50 to just skip all sectors that can't be read and go past them to get the data on the good sectors.

I did try the "reverse" option now and it's faster but it will take many time to clone...

So what to do now ?

Shoul i quit and considr the rest of the data un-recoverable ? Should i try another settings ?

I don't think that i should wait days to get the 2.5 GB of data that are still left ...

Maybe i should move both source and destination to HRT later and let HRT-DRE "clone" just that range that is missing ? Because if i time out very fast i can skip the bad sectors and copy the good ones instead of wasting many time attempting to read damaged blocks ...

Any thing that i can still do with HDD Super Clone to speed things up and get more data out with it ?

Post subject: Re: Help with HDDSuperClone ?!
PostPosted: March 3rd, 2018, 18:37 

Post the project log file and I will look at it. You can also use HDDSCViewer yourself to get a visual indication of the recovery.

From the image I can see that it has 147 skip runs, which is an indication there is an issue with one of the heads, or with this recovery percentage more likely a fair sized bad spot on a platter. I can tell more from the log. There is nothing you can do to speed it up when the drive takes that long to respond. The timeout usually does not work in passthrough mode, it is more of a suggestion (blame the Linux kernel for that, there is a timeout value that can be set but it seems to be ignored). The image shows that the most recent read attempt took 10 seconds, and the longest attempt took 30 seconds. It may or may not go faster if you connected it directly to SATA instead of USB.

It is in phase 3, which means it will be skipping a small amount on the slow reads, which tries to get the most readable data from the area. After phase 3 is done and it starts phase 4, it would be a good time to assess whether or not to continue.

PostPosted: March 3rd, 2018, 22:16 

Well i don't have the project log file as i did disable it in the GUI prior to start the cloning. I was just playing with it and I only have 2 drives on this laptop (the source and destination) so any log would be saved to RAM only (i do have 4 GB but the point is if i power it off the log will be gone anyway).

By what was cloned so far i would say that the problem is NOT with one head because it did copy 99% of the data without problem. If one head were to be bad it wouldn't copy that much ! The problem is with a "patch" of more or less 2.5 / 3 GB size and that same problematic area is consecutive (near the 120 GB mark).

It's on phase 4 now - i did stop it some times and set it to reverse copy and try other time out values, etc but now it's going fine.

I will let it finish as it would take only 7 or 8 hours now. I will leave it running during the night and tomorrow i will check.

Attachment:
1.jpg
1.jpg [ 102.79 KiB | Viewed 4481 times ]

It will get some extra data out of that bad zone almost for sure so let's just leave it for a little bit more and see.

At least the drive is not making any strange noises and it looks like it's just cloning fine and slowly on that area ...

Will the timeout value work when the drive is plugged directly by SATA or it will be ignored by Linux as well ?

PostPosted: March 3rd, 2018, 23:06 

You CAN'T disable the project log file, only the backup of the file. So the project log is currently at /home/lubuntu/Desktop/Spildit. You can copy it to a flash drive from the current running system. If you can't provide that file to me, then I cannot help any further.

Unfortunately the timeout in passthrough is also ignored if connected via SATA. The only way it can be faster connected as SATA is if the OS is currently doing its own read retries, which was an issue in older Linux versions. I don't think it will make a difference in your case.

PostPosted: March 3rd, 2018, 23:12 

Since you seem to be running the live cd, why don't you run HDDSCViewer to see what it looks like? You can run it while the clone is still going. I thought you were a curious person, not one that just accepted what you see up front and accept it... or are you too busy jumping to conclusions :roll:

PostPosted: March 4th, 2018, 11:05 

Ok, just for the fun of it i decided to start over again.

This time is running faster. Let's see.

I will post the log and the screen captures of the log viewer as soon as phase 1 ends.

PostPosted: March 4th, 2018, 12:43 

If you haven't already, you can enable the phase logs in the advanced settings, so it will make a copy of the log at the end of each phase. As long as you are not pushing the ram limit using the live cd, there should not be an issue with saving the extra logs (of course you have to copy them to an external drive such as a flash drive to keep them). Having a log from each phase can help with diagnosis, plus it shows how the algorithms do their job to get the good data first.

I am still guessing that the drive has a weak head with a bad spot on the platter. Also, there are tricks to using the viewer to be able to see any patterns. That is why I prefer the actual log, because between the log and manipulating the viewer settings and window width I can get a good visual representation. Plus in the log I can see if skipping in phase 1 and 2 is triggered by errors or slow reads.

PostPosted: March 4th, 2018, 13:48 

Thanks for the reply once again.

I did start over because last time i did stop and start the HDDSuperClone tool several times and did change settings and set it to copy in reverse, etc but now that i do have an idea of the state of the drive i did start over with the standard settings and i will let it run up until the end.

The drive clones ok at a good speed. The problem is with one head in the region/zone from more or less 118 - 121 GB only so for a 500 GB drive a "problematic" zone of 3 GB only in one head would mean a scratch or damage top the platter on that specific zone.

I didn't bother (yet) to move the drive to the system with firmware tools to see what is the platter that have problems but heads are Ok as the drive clones just fine. If i go past that 121 GB up until the 500 GB i can clone it full speed in just some hours woithout a single bad sector or skipped sector.

I will let it finish now.

Just one question, what does HDDSuperClone do to the destination for the sectors that are not read at phase 1 ? Will it write something to the destination or will it just leave it as is ?

PostPosted: March 4th, 2018, 14:30 

Quote:
Just one question, what does HDDSuperClone do to the destination for the sectors that are not read at phase 1 ? Will it write something to the destination or will it just leave it as is ?

It leaves them as is. If you want to fill them you would use the Fill Zero or Fill Mark mode when done cloning, which will either zero or mark the unread sectors on the destination. One limitation of the fill modes is that if the destination is a bigger drive than the source, it will not fill anything past the size of the source.

PostPosted: March 4th, 2018, 14:37 

This is good to know.

Even if i mess this 2nd attempt to recover the data than HDDSuperClone will not write to the sectors that were already recovered to the same drive on the last attempt.

I'm cloning from exact the same LBAs on source to the same LBAs on destination and destination is the same drive that was used on the first attempt so the 2nd attempt will just recover what it can and assuming the drive dies on the process hopefully the data from the first attempt will still be present on the destination.

Destination was zero filled prior to start but it was kept on it's condition on the 2nd attempt leaving the data on the first attempt there.

PostPosted: March 4th, 2018, 20:49 

Here :

:D :D :D

Attachment:
1.jpg
1.jpg [ 182.62 KiB | Viewed 4234 times ]

PostPosted: March 4th, 2018, 21:05 

Nice visual of the bad spot, you can clearly see it is a 2 head drive. Is that after phase 2? It looks too clean to be after phase 1. I am guessing you won't end up with the high number of skip runs you did with the previous attempt.

PostPosted: March 4th, 2018, 21:45 

This is phase 3 with 92 Skip Runs.

It's safe to "stop" the HDDSuperClone, save the log file and start from the place where it left later ? Like powering down the machine and re-load the project later so that it will resume exactly from the place it was "paused" ?

PostPosted: March 4th, 2018, 21:58 

Spildit wrote:
This is phase 3 with 92 Skip Runs.

It's safe to "stop" the HDDSuperClone, save the log file and start from the place where it left later ? Like powering down the machine and re-load the project later so that it will resume exactly from the place it was "paused" ?

Yes, as long as you save the log to someplace other than ram :D
The log is automatically saved every 30 seconds when running, and also when you exit. So even if you don't save from the file menu, it is still saved.