All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Dos 6.22 usb install
PostPosted: April 4th, 2018, 22:09 

yes, I was going to suggest an emulator, as it can either be easier.. or open a new set of nightmares! The great thing about the emu is you dont need all the old hardware as well, so you can have your modern PC and your DOS one whenever you want it.

dosbox is great, so is bochs.

If it were me, I would ebay an older PC or run an add.. I had a few given to me when was looking for a specific older PC to run a custom games cabinet.

BTW, whoever told you you need an old PC is likely wrong. DOS 6.22 stuff should work ok on modernish PCs, at least core2 duo and before. The issue with games going bonkers with faster PCS was really before that.

The biggest thing will be getting DOS drivers for your hardware.

as roganfather said, if you post what laptop you have (a service tag is best as it allows searching the exact hardware) then we can help searching for DOS drivers on either the laptop service page or other pages with the same hardware.

also, roganfather mention memory. this can be a bugbear, so I used to setup menus in config.sys / autoexec.bat and boot as to what I wanted to do. if it was just wolfenstein it would be one config, if it was burning CD's, another. memory can be a challenge when you start messing with memory managers, and trying to do different things that like it a certain way..

PostPosted: April 4th, 2018, 22:22 

Ah, the good old days of running memmaker !

PostPosted: April 4th, 2018, 23:11 

Here is the Laptop info Dell INSPIRON 1525 service tag 719zrh1.

I upgraded the memory to 4GB, put in Webcam, Bluetooth and upgraded the CPU from Celeron 550 to T8100 @ 2.10GHz. Hope this helps.

I was trying those games to see if they work but I like to get sound to work and I like to at lease wired internet to work.

I left a message early today and the email I got said it was approved but I don't know where it is at.

PostPosted: April 5th, 2018, 2:52 

Some games will work if you go to the game setup and choose sound balster 16, but the sound card usually says in its docs/tech specs that it supports sound blaster emulation mode.

here is a discussion, but only a vague one, about your sound card: https://www.dell.com/community/Laptops-General/Sigma-Tel-Audio-and-Dos-Game/td-p/317414 and why it is an issue.

there is this project, but not sure if it will work for your chipset: http://www.georgpotthast.de/dossound/

another option: grab an old lappie: https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Dell-Latitude-D505-laptop-powers-up-to-DOS-not-sure-of-OS/282759188370 cant beat authenticity ;-) I think I have at least a couple... but shipping to you might be expensive, otherwise you could have one free.

or go the dosbox route: https://www.dosbox.com/wiki/Sound

good luck, this laptop may unfortunately be a bit of a headache

PostPosted: April 5th, 2018, 16:33 

My Linux show this. Hope this helps
My sound card.
Quote:
SOUND CARDS:

HDA-Intel - HDA Intel
Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) HD Audio Controller (rev 02)

**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 0: STAC9228 Analog [STAC9228 Analog]
Subdevices: 1/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 3: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 7: STAC9228 Digital [STAC9228 Digital]

My Ethernet shows.
Quote:
ETHERNET INFO:

09:00.0 Ethernet controller: Marvell Technology Group Ltd. 88E8040 PCI-E Fast Ethernet Controller (rev 12)
Subsystem: Dell Device 022f
Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 28
Memory at fe8fc000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16K]
I/O ports at de00 [size=256]
Capabilities: [48] Power Management version 3
Capabilities: [5c] MSI: Enable+ Count=1/1 Maskable- 64bit+
Capabilities: [c0] Express Legacy Endpoint, MSI 00
Capabilities: [100] Advanced Error Reporting
Capabilities: [130] Device Serial Number fe-9f-f3-ff-ff-9b-21-00
Kernel driver in use: sky2
Kernel modules: sky2

My Wireless shows.
Quote:
WIRELESS INFO:

0b:00.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation PRO/Wireless 3945ABG [Golan] Network Connection (rev 02)
Subsystem: Intel Corporation Device 1020
Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 31
Memory at fe7ff000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=4K]
Capabilities: [c8] Power Management version 2
Capabilities: [d0] MSI: Enable+ Count=1/1 Maskable- 64bit+
Capabilities: [e0] Express Legacy Endpoint, MSI 00
Capabilities: [100] Advanced Error Reporting
Capabilities: [140] Device Serial Number 00-1f-3c-ff-ff-b5-ba-52
Kernel driver in use: iwl3945
Kernel modules: iwl3945, wl

PostPosted: April 5th, 2018, 21:11 

I would say forget about the wireless for now. Distance between wireless technology and msdos technology is too big, so it is possible a driver never was built for it.

The wired ethernet connection could maybe be possible, but will demanda a little more research.

The audio maybe has some potential with that "dossound" link @Haque posted. You can give it a try and see how it goes.

PostPosted: April 5th, 2018, 21:22 

rogfanther wrote:
I would say forget about the wireless for now. Distance between wireless technology and msdos technology is too big, so it is possible a driver never was built for it.

The wired ethernet connection could maybe be possible, but will demanda a little more research.

The audio maybe has some potential with that "dossound" link @Haque posted. You can give it a try and see how it goes.

Thanks, I try "dossound" but it was a big no.

I feel dumb after I took a good look at the Forum but I now know it for Hard Drives not I need.

PostPosted: April 5th, 2018, 22:11 

also I dont think there was ever a DOS driver for the SIGMATEL STAC 92XX C-Major HD Audio.

I downloaded all 29 drivers from various dell's and checke each. the earliest drivers are XP. none had any DOS drivers included.

not dumb, as you can't be expected to know any of this without experience and trying it out.

What you are trying to do could be hard, but do-able with the effort put in on any number of laptops, but I fear this one is not going to play nice enough.

for w-fi, an option may be a wifi router and you connect laptop to it with a LAN cable. you may be able to find a minipci card with dos drivers though.

dossound only supports to ICH7, specifically says not ICH8. I dont think the project would really work that well for you anyway unfortunately.

best advice: get a different laptop.

Quote:
Still most sound cards refuses to work under DOS when running them on ICH6 or newer southbridges while other refuses to work without DDMA support (none of the ICH versions ever supported DDMA, VIA's last were the VT82C686B. It seems that SiS kept DDMA support longer, but I experienced it quite buggy).

https://www.vogons.org/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=24769&start=20

PostPosted: April 5th, 2018, 23:14 

I didn't mean dumb what we are doing here but what type of forum this is Hard Drive forum.

Well I try 2 Laptops and 3 Desktops with dossound and the output was the same on all of them. So I need to find a Computer with a P1 or P2 CPU in it. It will still be fast enough for me.

PostPosted: April 6th, 2018, 1:30 

whats the other laptop? maybe that has dos drivers.
also if you have 3 desktops, an old sound blaster card should work. you have many more options with a desktop depending on age.

I guess forum not the best choice, but if you posted in the lounge section it would have been quite at home. Nonetheless, you got reults and i dont think anyone is really going to mind either way!

PostPosted: April 6th, 2018, 10:01 

I only have 1 Laptop the other were not mind they belong to other where I live. I downloaded this http://www.vogonsdrivers.com/getfile.ph ... enustate=0 and I going to look for a sound card. I am looking at a HP DC5750 Desktop if I can get it cheap.

As far as this forum I am glad I found it because I am getting help and that what count to me.

PostPosted: April 6th, 2018, 11:00 

that Vogons forum has a lot of help in installing/coaxing old software to work in newer things.

But yes, finding a cheap old computer ( P2, P3, K6, AMD from the socket 462 era [ and others, to that no-one feels left out ] ) could be easier to set up. Many of those with onboard sound have already sound blaster emuation built in also, so there is some chance you would not need a separate audio card.

PostPosted: April 6th, 2018, 21:54 

I can get the HP DC5750 Desktop for free so do you think this sound card will work?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/PCI-E-Express- ... Sw7z1aEMrS

The Computer has PCI-E-Express slot.

PostPosted: April 6th, 2018, 22:17 

Maybe you could have some luck with a Creative Labs pci card.

But I think that computer is still too new for running these old things correctly.

Look for things AMD before the socket 754/939 era, or Intel before pentium 4. Then maybe you can find a good old ISA sound card, or these machines will support sblaster emulation with their onboard audio hardware.

Oh, one other idea : try perusing the Vogons forum, buried somewhere there may something like a suggested configuration for supporting the games/hardware you want to run.

PostPosted: April 6th, 2018, 22:35 

I'm on a tight income since I retired so I have watch how I spend money but I keep looking for an old Computer.

PostPosted: April 7th, 2018, 9:30 

Good.

I don´t know what kind of store you have in your area, but look at places that sell used things, pawn shops, trash dumps, etc. Salvation army, maybe. Or someone may have something forgotten in a basement.

PostPosted: April 8th, 2018, 0:52 

I found out today that I can boot Dos from a USB but it won't on a 2GB Hard Drive. I partition the Hard Drive with 2GB for Dos and the rest of the Hard Drive for Linux. It was a 80GB Hard Drive. It was formatted from a boot able CD I type format c: /s then I copy the Dos file then I try to boot up then I got the error.

So I do need to fine a old Computer somewhere for sure. Tell then this project is on hold.

PostPosted: April 8th, 2018, 9:40 

Bootable cd of what OS ?

From the same OS, fdisk and format the drive. If you want to use MSDos, then you are limited to 2GB, because no fat32 support.

If you can use Win98, then you have fat32 support.

PostPosted: May 18th, 2018, 20:04 

I am back I got most iron out but I do have a question. Will a USB Floppy Drive work like a real Floppy Drive? What I mean is I have few Floppy Disk that needs to be in A: drive to install and it check to see. The USB is not a real Floppy drive will it work or not work? The Laptop is a Acer Aspire One that has CD or Floppy drive.

PostPosted: May 19th, 2018, 0:20 

Welcome back !

It kinda depends on the emulation done by the laptop bios. If you have access to the floppy drive, it would be better to test. If the machine can boot from a floppy in the drive, then it probably will work with other software that searches for drive A.

With games and other things that employ copy protection schemes you may encounter some problems, and things may not work, but that can be addressed later.