All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Windows XP freezes my desktop - Virus?
PostPosted: April 19th, 2018, 14:17 

HaQue wrote:
I have to disagree with installing XP again, sorry but it is just asking for trouble. Agree with everything else though. Win 7 is only a little better. Unless PC will never connect to the internet.

If you saying that there's no more updates for XP and that could be a reason for not connecting to the internet, I can say I still use XP on my other desktop and never had any issue connecting to the internet or a issue like my wife's desktop. It runs smooth. I don't know what the heck she did on her desktop to behave like that.

Quote:
what CPU is it? Core2 Duo at a guess.. this will run win10 fine with an SSD.

Yes, with this 1TB seagate video HD.

Quote:
If you want your wife to be happy, buy an SSD, install win10 and she will think she has a new PC.
if money is an issue, even a 120GB boot drive and your new HDD with 0kn (0hrs?) on it as a second drive would be good.

(zero KM) I mean, brand new hd. I don't think it's hd issue because it only happens on boot up moment (keyboard and mouse being blocked). There's an weird issue that I could not figure it out yet.

Post subject: Re: Windows XP freezes my desktop - Virus?
PostPosted: April 19th, 2018, 20:43 

igirao wrote:
HaQue wrote:
I have to disagree with installing XP again, sorry but it is just asking for trouble. Agree with everything else though. Win 7 is only a little better. Unless PC will never connect to the internet.

If you saying that there's no more updates for XP and that could be a reason for not connecting to the internet, I can say I still use XP on my other desktop and never had any issue connecting to the internet or a issue like my wife's desktop. It runs smooth. I don't know what the heck she did on her desktop to behave like that.

I have left my keys in my car all night before and no-one has stolen it.. should I suggest people leave their keys in their car because I have proven it is safe?
XP is not secure - becoming less compatible with modern software and internet technology every day. There simply is no robustness in that OS. It is time to ditch it.

igirao wrote:
Quote:
If you want your wife to be happy, buy an SSD, install win10 and she will think she has a new PC.
if money is an issue, even a 120GB boot drive and your new HDD with 0kn (0hrs?) on it as a second drive would be good.

(zero KM) I mean, brand new hd. I don't think it's hd issue because it only happens on boot up moment (keyboard and mouse being blocked). There's an weird issue that I could not figure it out yet.

have you updated the BIOS of the motherboard?