All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Best paid software to recover deleted files.
PostPosted: June 25th, 2019, 14:32 

Hi gurus.

What do you expert recommend for deleted files?

I recently had a deleted user account to recover, but couldn't find anything above 2014, customer insist that there are more files on the drive.

Not much info on the drive only 60 gig from 750g

I usually user power data recovery if I can't find what I'm looking for I use R-Studio, Not much of difference though.

Please, any recommendation for a good paid software will be appreciated.

Rgds

Post subject: Re: Best paid software to recover deleted files.
PostPosted: June 25th, 2019, 14:51 

FAT? EXT? NTFS? HFS+? APFS? XFS? ZFS?
HDD or SSD?
Single drive or RAID?

I'll assume NTFS on a single HDD. In such a case, I'd go with R-Studio, UFS Explorer or ReclaiME.

On a side note, you have to be the first real person I know of who uses MiniTool. The other million posts I've seen are all spammers.

PostPosted: June 25th, 2019, 15:26 

Same here. DMDE has it all.

PostPosted: June 25th, 2019, 18:15 

lcoughey wrote:
HDD or SSD?
Single drive or RAID?

I'll assume NTFS on a single HDD. In such a case, I'd go with R-Studio, UFS Explorer or ReclaiME.

On a side note, you have to be the first real person I know of who uses MiniTool. The other million posts I've seen are all spammers.

Many thx for taking your time to answer.
As for Minitool it did most of the jobs for me, I did buy R-studio because most of data recovery using it. I did use photorec as well.

Most of the cases as you know are NTFS, EXFAT and HFS.
HDD for now days
Raid very rare

I leaned that PC3000 has the option of recovering deleted files, can it do more?

Thanks

PostPosted: June 25th, 2019, 18:18 

Spildit wrote:
I use DMDE ...

Hi dear Spildit.

Thank you I will try it right now.

I own you an answer to a post, I did answer but probably forgot to hit submit.

PostPosted: June 25th, 2019, 18:45 

If all you need to do is to recover deleted files, and if the file system is otherwise OK, then I wonder if the results would be better if one were to wipe all the active files.

That is, one could clone the drive and then delete and write zeros to each active file and its corresponding directory entry or MFT record. This will remove all traces of the newly deleted [unwanted] files, leaving only the remnants of the previously deleted [wanted] files.

PostPosted: June 25th, 2019, 18:48 

lcoughey wrote:

Just to be clear regarding Minitool power data recovery. I have nothing to do with this software and I'm not trying to advertise it in anyway.
They offered it free few years ago that's why I started using it when I started doing data recovery. I'm still using it as a first option even that I bought R-Studio, I never found big difference between the two when it comes to NTFS file system which is most of the cases. In some cases when I used both I received a better result from Minitool. When it comes to other file system thats when I use R-studio, Like EXFAT and HFS+.

Rgds

PostPosted: June 25th, 2019, 18:56 

fzabkar wrote:
If all you need to do is to recover deleted files, and if the file system is otherwise OK, then I wonder if the results would be better if one were to wipe all the active files.

That is, one could clone the drive and then delete and write zeros to each active file and its corresponding directory entry or MFT record. This will remove all traces of the newly deleted [unwanted] files, leaving only the remnants of the previously deleted [wanted] files.

Hi Pro friend.

I have a case where I used 3 recovery software, R-Studio, Minitool, and photorec. All gave me slimier result.
I did a raw copy using hddsuperclone just in case.
The customer didn't find what he need, so I called local DR company and he said that they have more tools to recover deleted files than R-studio.

My big question is; Is there any other tool that I'm not aware of that can do more than these 3 tools I used? All three gave similar result

PostPosted: June 25th, 2019, 19:40 

CSL PC wrote:
Is there any other tool that I'm not aware of that can do more than these 3 tools I used? All three gave similar result

I understand your question, but I would approach it from a different viewpoint. I'm wondering whether your data recovery tools would perform better by searching an "empty" user area. To this end I would remove all the unwanted files by filling their space with zeros. That should be easy to do with a file wiping tool. Then all that will remain on your HDD will be the unused space. If there are any previously deleted files, they will be located within this unused space.

As for other tools, GetDataBack is often mentioned.

PostPosted: June 25th, 2019, 23:40 

fzabkar wrote:
CSL PC wrote:
Is there any other tool that I'm not aware of that can do more than these 3 tools I used? All three gave similar result

I understand your question, but I would approach it from a different viewpoint. I'm wondering whether your data recovery tools would perform better by searching an "empty" user area. To this end I would remove all the unwanted files by filling their space with zeros. That should be easy to do with a file wiping tool. Then all that will remain on your HDD will be the unused space. If there are any previously deleted files, they will be located within this unused space.

As for other tools, GetDataBack is often mentioned.

I didn't know that there is a way to delete files completely without low level format.
So you are suggesting to delete (wipe) all existing files and trying to recover the files that were deleted before?
I don't think it'll make a difference but worth trying.

Thats interesting
https://security.web.cern.ch/security/r ... %20MFM.pdf
Thanks again

PostPosted: June 26th, 2019, 0:19 

A file system consists of used space and free space. Ideally you would limit your search for deleted files to the free space. If your tool cannot do this, then you could fill the used space with zeros. That's all I'm suggesting.

PostPosted: June 26th, 2019, 9:09 

fzabkar wrote:
A file system consists of used space and free space. Ideally you would limit your search for deleted files to the free space. If your tool cannot do this, then you could fill the used space with zeros. That's all I'm suggesting.

Many thanks

PostPosted: June 26th, 2019, 13:30 

Quote:
I didn't know that there is a way to delete files completely without low level format.

Even the free Recuva can do that (and many dedicated file shredding tools). WinHex can wipe files' contents and also files' MFT records. (Not sure about other file systems.) WinHex is also able to explore deleted file trees, although it's usually less efficient than R-Studio in my experience it's worth a shot (but it most likely won't give better results in this case, see below).

Quote:
As for Minitool it did most of the jobs for me, I did buy R-studio because most of data recovery using it. I did use photorec as well.

Then the question is, what particular file types are you looking for ? If the needed files are of a specific type which is not included by default in the list of file types analysed by any of those tools, it is normal that they can't be recovered in “raw” mode. R-Studio and Photorec allow to add custom file signatures, don't know about the others.

Quote:
I have a case where I used 3 recovery software, R-Studio, Minitool, and photorec. All gave me slimier result.

You mean “similar” I suppose ? :? It's surprising, as Photorec can only do “raw file carving” type of recovery, if both other tools, which are first and foremost designed to analyse the filesystems and recover as much files as possible based on their original metadata, doing “raw” search as a complimentary method (when the metadata structures are partially or totally damaged, or to recover deleted files which are no longer referenced because their metadata information has been overwritten), didn't find any files with the first method (i.e. with their original names and timestamps and directory location), it would mean that no valid metadata structures related to that deleted user account are available anymore.

Quote:
I recently had a deleted user account to recover, but couldn't find anything above 2014 [...]

Not sure what you meant by that. You mean the year 2014 ?
Do you at least see actual data all over the “free space” ? (With the aforementioned WinHex, or with R-Studio's hexadecimal viewer – in the “Device view” tab, right-click on the target partition and select “View/edit” or press CTRL+E.) If it's already been wiped (or partially wiped), then nothing can be recovered. Does the customer remember how exactly that user account was deleted ? If he (or someone else unbeknownst to him) used a method specifically designed to really wipe the files (“cleaning” tools like CCleaner are able to do just that for instance), then none of the previously allocated files can be recovered, and what you are getting might be files deleted by a regular method prior to that.

Quote:
I did a raw copy using hddsuperclone just in case.

I don't remember if HDDSuperClone has an option to write an image in “sparse” mode ; ddrescue does for sure, so as a test you could copy that backup (whether you did a clone to another drive or an image file doesn't matter) to an image file (preferably on another drive, much better performance and less stressful for a HDD) with ddrescue -S (upper-case S switch = sparse mode). Then if you check the properties and see that the actual size of that image is in the vicinity of 60GB, you'll know for sure that there is nothing more to recover (in “sparse” mode only non-empty sectors are actually allocated).

PostPosted: June 26th, 2019, 13:42 

Quote:

Interesting, but of no practical relevance in your situation. :)

Quote:
In conclusion, as was presented in the previous chapters, a system to recover data from a hard disk drive through magnetic force microscopy was developed to do so from an un-degaussed hard disk under certain experimental conditions. The design of this system took inspiration from the read channels of modern hard disk drives to accomplish this goal. The performance has been poor even under these idealized conditions, but this is attributed to a particular form of degradation that could be removed by an improved experimental setup. Techniques to remove this degradation via signal processing were investigated, and while they have not proven successful yet, they still hold promise to be beneficial. Since the performance of the developed system has been poor even when recovering data from an un-degaussed hard disk drive, any amount of degaussing would make this systemunable to recover data. It should be emphasized that even if high performance could be achieved in detecting data from the images, the time required for the imaging process itself would make the recovery of any significant amounts of data intractable.
This having been said, it is interesting that the response of magnetic force microscopy to the magnetization pattern has enough similarities to that of a read head to allow the application of the design principles in read channels to this work. As the technology in both microscopy and hard disk drives evolves, the questions this work has sought to answer and the answers this thesis has provided might yet change. Ultimately, only time will tell.

PostPosted: June 28th, 2019, 18:10 

abolibibelot wrote:
Quote:

Even the free Recuva can do that (and many dedicated file shredding tools). WinHex can wipe files' contents and also files' MFT records. (Not sure about other file systems.) WinHex is also able to explore deleted file trees, although it's usually less efficient than R-Studio in my experience it's worth a shot (but it most likely won't give better results in this case, see below).

Good to know

Quote:

Then the question is, what particular file types are you looking for ? If the needed files are of a specific type which is not included by default in the list of file types analysed by any of those tools, it is normal that they can't be recovered in “raw” mode. R-Studio and Photorec allow to add custom file signatures, don't know about the others.

Photos is the main files but other as well like .ost, .bbb and videos.

Quote:

You mean “similar” I suppose ? yep :? It's surprising, as Photorec can only do “raw file carving” Yep even in raw files couldn't find what I'm looking for type of recovery, if both other tools, which are first and foremost designed to analyse the filesystems and recover as much files as possible based on their original metadata, doing “raw” search as a complimentary method (when the metadata structures are partially or totally damaged, or to recover deleted files which are no longer referenced because their metadata information has been overwritten), didn't find any files with the first method (i.e. with their original names and timestamps and directory location), it would mean that no valid metadata structures related to that deleted user account are available anymore.

I did find the account that was deleted with all the pst files till year 2014 and some photos, but he didn't do backup of the emails since that's why I wanted to find the ost file which I did but it is showing 0 byte nothing in it.

Quote:
I recently had a deleted user account to recover, but couldn't find anything above 2014 [...]

Not sure what you meant by that. You mean the year 2014 ? yep year
Do you at least see actual data all over the “free space” ? (With the aforementioned WinHex, or with R-Studio's hexadecimal viewer – in the “Device view” tab, right-click on the target partition and select “View/edit” or press CTRL+E.) If it's already been wiped (or partially wiped), then nothing can be recovered. Does the customer remember how exactly that user account was deleted ? If he (or someone else unbeknownst to him) used a method specifically designed to really wipe the files (“cleaning” tools like CCleaner are able to do just that for instance), then none of the previously allocated files can be recovered, and what you are getting might be files deleted by a regular method prior to that.

The story is that the IT tech deleted his user account before backing him up and he disabled system restore to make sure it will be impossible to recover but he fail to do the backup, I don't know how or why. Now I did recover the System volume information folder that has 6.5 gig of files but I cannot extract the data from it. If someone can I'll send it to him and him for the job.

Quote:
Not much info on the drive only 60 gig from 750g I did a raw copy using hddsuperclone just in case.

I don't remember if HDDSuperClone has an option to write an image in “sparse” mode ; ddrescue does for sure, so as a test you could copy that backup (whether you did a clone to another drive or an image file doesn't matter) to an image file (preferably on another drive, much better performance and less stressful for a HDD) with ddrescue -S (upper-case S switch = sparse mode). Then if you check the properties and see that the actual size of that image is in the vicinity of 60GB, you'll know for sure that there is nothing more to recover (in “sparse” mode only non-empty sectors are actually allocated).

The drive is good no bad sectors only deleted files. I'll make an image to check

Thank you so much for the detailed answer!

PostPosted: June 28th, 2019, 18:25 

CSL PC wrote:
Hi gurus.

I recently had a deleted user account to recover, but couldn't find anything above 2014, customer insist that there are more files on the drive.
I usually user power data recovery if I can't find what I'm looking for I use R-Studio, Not much of difference though.

Rgds

Maybe I missed it in all the responses:-
How did the user account get deleted?
Was Windows reinstalled?
Has the PC/laptop been used since?

PostPosted: June 29th, 2019, 7:35 

ddrecovery wrote:
CSL PC wrote:
Hi gurus.

Rgds

Maybe I missed it in all the responses:-
How did the user account get deleted?
Was Windows reinstalled?
Has the PC/laptop been used since?

Thank you for the answer.

Windows was not reinstall, I'm not sure how they deleted the user, But they deleted the restore points and the OS is not booting. When running R-studio it find the user account and all the folders but the ost file is zero byte and not all photos found only few, all pst files were found easy.

As far as I know the pc was not used.

Thank you

PostPosted: June 29th, 2019, 13:05 

I propose to collect a list of objective quality assessment criteria of data recovery software. As example, it may be list of tasks that may be solved with help of software. And rate how good each software in each criteria. Because it is not first time and not last when somebody ask "The Best". As for me I do not think that exist software that may cover all tasks :)

PostPosted: June 29th, 2019, 14:51 

fzabkar wrote:

Ufsexplorer/Recovery Explorer doing same. When you do indexing scanning first and than - full scan, it operates with unused area only.

PostPosted: July 12th, 2019, 10:35 

Thank you all for your help, I learned new things