All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: MRT vs. Dolphin vs. RapidSpar
PostPosted: August 9th, 2019, 2:45 

Hello,

I run a small PC-shop and do somethimes data-recovery. Quite easy tasks like undelete files or software-based recovery. I am thinking now about stepping up a bit. Finacially the folliging devices are in my reach:

• RapidSpar - cloud driven, easy to use, no controll, does also firmware-repair
  • MRT Labs Express - a PC-3000 knock-off with less features
  • Dolphinlabs PCIe 4x card - didn't find much about that one

What I hear MRT is like PC-3000 but with a few less options. If I could e.g. deactivate a head to image the other ones or have some hardware handeling bad sectors better then operating-systems do would be great.

As far as I found out RapidSpar and MRT can do backward and forward passes, multiple passes and MRT can even switch the different (U)DMA - levels or use even POI for the first 137GB to maximize the chance to get data out. This tools can even handle disks which won't get recogniced by the OS.

Does someone here use MRT? Is the tool good? Or which tool you would recommand me to get?

I am willing to learn so it's no issue if the tool need some knowledge - actually i am watching the Youtube-Videos of Scott Moulton and the "training" of ReclaiMe, I also try to find some more ressources online. Can anyone recommand a good book or some sites?

Thanks and greeting from Vienna!

Post subject: Re: MRT vs. Dolphin vs. RapidSpar
PostPosted: August 9th, 2019, 3:10 

For ease of use, reliability, shallower learning curve and quicker financial returns, my money would be on the RapidSpar.

New!! HDD-PCB.COM for all your PCB and donor HDD requirements!

PostPosted: August 9th, 2019, 4:02 

pcimage wrote:
For ease of use, reliability, shallower learning curve and quicker financial returns, my money would be on the RapidSpar.

Did you try the device out or dou you use it? I am just concerned because I have no controll and if the automatic of that tool dont find the right settings I have no chance to fiddle alone. Do you know if the "50% of all cases solved" marketing-statement is true? With all addons I will be also able to work with all kind of media from memory-cards till NVME-drives. Also that leads to the RS...

If I go for the RS I could later get the MRT (360 USD one time + 25 x 150 / month) as additional tool. Does that make a sence. Could I solve with the MRT cases where the RS fails? PC-3000 is far to expensive for me now because I have much to less cases...

PostPosted: August 9th, 2019, 7:15 

I have RapidSpar, DeepSpar, MRT and PC3000 among other things. For a computer shop, I'd definitely start with RapidSpar and partner with a solid lab to handle what you can't.

MRT is a cheap way to test the waters before making the full investment into PC3000.

I can't speak to DFL, but I hear that it is pretty good.

PostPosted: August 9th, 2019, 10:01 

DFL is very good and powerfull tool with great service.. very supportive team. they arrange easy installment payment system. lots of demo video and remote support.

PostPosted: August 9th, 2019, 11:50 

@maddin, I'm like you - a PC repair shop that did logical recoveries using Linux and terminal but wanted to handle firmware repairs and more complex cases involving hardware cloning, selective head imaging, data only imaging, etc. I went with DFL and do not regret it. I have had multiple DFL product (WDII, STII, DDP, URE and finally SRP, upgrading along the way and selling the URE without violating any agreement).

The points Dananjaya mentions are all true and DFL are committed to excellent support and product continual improvement. For example, you can find details of their latest software upgrade here. You can see some of the case studies they present to help their users here.

I'd love to be able to afford a PC3000 but data recovery is not my primary business so it just isn't economically feasible for me or shops like mine. Anyway, good luck in your quest.

PostPosted: August 9th, 2019, 15:50 

lcoughey wrote:
I have RapidSpar, DeepSpar, MRT and PC3000 among other things.

Why that? I mean for collecting this are quite expensive toys - so what reason you had to get them all? Does every tools have his own area / cases where it works best?

lcoughey wrote:
MRT is a cheap way to test the waters before making the full investment into PC3000.

That's true - 360 USD + 150 each Month I need it is basically a nobrainer in case it's a sencefull addition to the RapidSpar.

Dananjaya wrote:
DFL is very good and powerfull tool with great service.. very supportive team. they arrange easy installment payment system. lots of demo video and remote support.

OK, sounds also great.

LarrySabo wrote:
@maddin, I'm like you - a PC repair shop that did logical recoveries using Linux and terminal but wanted to handle firmware repairs and more complex cases involving hardware cloning, selective head imaging, data only imaging, etc. I went with DFL and do not regret it. I have had multiple DFL product (WDII, STII, DDP, URE and finally SRP, upgrading along the way and selling the URE without violating any agreement).

Same is true for me...

LarrySabo wrote:
Anyway, good luck in your quest.

Thanks!

PostPosted: September 22nd, 2019, 10:56 

I've got MRT Ultra and it is pretty good apart from the support. I've found out more by watching PC3000 videos on YouTube than on the MRT site. The ability to pay over 24 months is great for cash flow and if you know you won't be needing it for a month you can suspend payment for that month. It is also very good at imaging damaged drives. Like people on here say, it's not as good as a PC3000 but at the price it's quite a useful tool.

You might want to check out HDDSuperClone. I've had some success with it. The basic software is free and the Pro version is only about $25 for a 60 day licence.

I've used Deepspar in the past and it is good at what it does but is quite expensive if you're not into data recovery full time.

I'm tempted by Rapidspar as well. It seems ideally suited to a business where data recovery isn't the main part of the business.