All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: R-Studio is becoming junk tool?
PostPosted: May 15th, 2020, 17:42 

I've installed last version 8.13.176.95 but it always crash on many HDD recovery jobs after a while since i start to save data.
Have you noticed same issue?

I'm definitively moving to GetDataBack Pro, it also does a better job in raw recovery.

Post subject: Re: R-Studio is becoming junk tool?
PostPosted: May 15th, 2020, 21:04 

are you sending the crash reports to them so they can fix it?
They do a lot of work on this tool and I imagine the development is NOT easy. This would help.

PostPosted: May 15th, 2020, 21:09 

No i haven't send, i will do.
Thanks

PostPosted: May 16th, 2020, 1:23 

Based on my own experience, their latest release is quite buggy. I experienced issues with their extract file function. The file tree structure recovered doesn't remain intact. Files under level 2 folders will appear at level 1 folder.

PostPosted: September 21st, 2020, 18:05 

I also experienced many crashes, I usually tried to report them so that they can get fixed, once I got the feedback that I should just try the newest version. The crashes usually are not reproducible, so trying again can help. Now my license expired, I have too few cases to warrant an upgrade, I offered them to help with debugging R-Studio, but my offer was declined.

PostPosted: September 21st, 2020, 20:52 

Quote:
I'm definitively moving to GetDataBack Pro, it also does a better job in raw recovery.

Could you elaborate on that ? I haven't used GetDataBack in a long time, and its performance in raw recovery was quite abysmal then (v. 4.3.3). While R-Studio was already very good (v. 5.4) and has been constantly improving in that department, with a few exceptions.
Otherwise I would tend to agree that the latest versions have been somewhat lackluster. About a year ago I tried 8.10, which would crash frequently (usually when trying to open the then-new “Get info” panel), so I stuck to 8.7 ; then recently tried 8.14 and 8.13 : 8.14 caused a high CPU usage whenever started (on Windows 7), then 8.13 had no such issue, but the very useful “show files in HexEditor” feature seems to be gone (perhaps it is now only available with the “technician” license ? noone has replied yet on the forum), while the “Recovery chances” assessment (which didn't exist as of v. 8.7) seems far less reliable than what the freeware Recuva has been offering for years...

PostPosted: September 22nd, 2020, 4:15 

R-Studio 8.12.175.481 is the last build which doesn't crash (at least for me). After that, all versions do crash very often.
About raw recover, i just remember that i was doing some test on recovering fragmented JPGs and MP4 files in raw comparing different tools.
GetDataBack gave me the better results for those type of files comparing with r-studio

The best tools for jpg and mp4 files raw recovery where Photorec and Klennet Carver, but they are more slow due to additional calculation that CPU needs to do for rebuilding fragments.

PostPosted: September 22nd, 2020, 8:16 

why don't just use the last working version ?
are there any critical functions in the newer ones?
pepe

PostPosted: September 22nd, 2020, 9:20 

Since I started using UFS never got a system crash.
It's becoming my favorite tool for now (and I still don't know all the tweaks possible...)

PostPosted: September 22nd, 2020, 11:24 

I have yet to see a fragmented file completely recovered by Photorec (perhaps it works sometimes on a memory card, but on a large HDD the odds are very slim, as fragments can be located anywhere, not necessarily at the next free space, it can be 1TB further, or 1TB before the beginning, totally impossible to guess, the program has to be aware of the structure of each file type at a very deep level, which Photorec is obviously not). It's still very good at what it does, especially for a freeware, but it still has issues : indeed it can be excruciatingly slow because of that nearly hopeless fragment searching (it doesn't seem to be caused by a heavy CPU computation, rather, the algorithm seems to be reading hundreds of GB over and over again whenever it finds a seemingly incomplete file, which seems very inefficient) ; it can generate a lot of false positives, especially for JPG and MP3 files which are seemingly identified by a 3 bytes signature only, in which case the file that came before, containing that false signature, is either truncated, or cut and merged with what comes after the end of the identified fake file, making the former file partially or totally unreadable, even if that file was still complete and contiguous on the source device ; it can extract humongous files, with totally unrealistic sizes, like 2GB DOC or XLS documents or 160GB ISO images (enabling only a few file types reduces the amount of false positives but increases the likelihood of those gigantic files : after doing an analysis of a 3TB drive and finding all those fake JPG / MP3 and all those truncated video files, I made a second analysis, enabling only AVI, WMV, MP4, MKV and ISO -- not MPG because some ISOs contained MPG videos, and MPG are themselves very problematic with regards to raw recovery, -- this time all non-fragmented video files were completely extracted -- especially a quite large number of MKV files which were no longer referenced, while raw recovery of MKVs was then very poor in R-Studio -- but I got a 160GB and a 85GB ISO files, although both corresponded to much smaller ISO files, which were still referenced and not fragmented).
I reported those findings on the dedicated forum a few months ago, but the only reply I got was rather cold... (I got a reply from the author more recently, when reporting a more specific issue with MP3 files which have a double ID3 header.)

As for Klennet Carver, and CnW Recovery, haven't tried them, they seem to be very different kinds of beasts, with a much more sophisticated approach.

PostPosted: September 22nd, 2020, 12:25 

pepe wrote:
why don't just use the last working version ?
are there any critical functions in the newer ones?
pepe

R-studio 8.12.175.481 is the last build that works without going in crash.
I use Win7 x64, still haven't try any r-studio release on Win10.

PostPosted: September 22nd, 2020, 12:27 

R-Studio has always crashed a lot for me over the years. I think the way it parses the file system is a real RAM brain suck. However I still like it for NTFS (along with GDB). I find UFS to be the most stable and now it has the imaging option, its getting better all the time. ReclaiMe I find to be by far the best for HFS/APFS file systems. If only we could put all that in one tool.......

PostPosted: October 8th, 2020, 0:17 

My recent experience with R-Studio is getting worst, all recovered files unable to open (jpg, pdf, excel.. etc). All appeared to be unrecognised. While I tried with EaseUS, Stellar and Reclaime the files open just fine. When I raise this matter to them, they ask me to check the RAW files.

I think it's time to move on to another tool if they take their time to fix it.

PostPosted: October 8th, 2020, 9:51 

calk82 wrote:
My recent experience with R-Studio is getting worst, all recovered files unable to open (jpg, pdf, excel.. etc). All appeared to be unrecognised. While I tried with EaseUS, Stellar and Reclaime the files open just fine. When I raise this matter to them, they ask me to check the RAW files.

If you are getting better results with EaseUS and Stellar, you are probably doing something wrong with R-Studio. That said, I've moved onto UFS Explorer Pro as my main logical recovery engine.

PostPosted: October 12th, 2020, 1:55 

lcoughey wrote:
calk82 wrote:

If you are getting better results with EaseUS and Stellar, you are probably doing something wrong with R-Studio. That said, I've moved onto UFS Explorer Pro as my main logical recovery engine.

Hi Luke,

Maybe you are right, but these sort of incident doesn't happen very often. I would say 1/10 cases I scanned with R-Studio. Also, another incident that I sometimes encountered with R-Studio is with the extraction function, some of the files extracted failed to remain it's original folder structure. Some of the files in Level 2 of the folder structure when extracted and placed under Level 1 folder structure.

I will give UFS a try since it's recommended by you and some of the members of the community.