All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: WD external stuck in selfscan please help
PostPosted: June 5th, 2020, 10:28 

Hi

I was trying a self scan using WDR on an external WD passport. it has WD3200BMVU inside and only has usb connector (no sata).

now after starting self scan WDR is stuck with no progress for several hours and disk info is borked.

I tried using "self scan stop" command but it does not work.

How can I stop the self scan and return to the normal mode and restore the disk into a working condition again?

thanks

Attachments:
File comment: progress screenshots
screenshot.jpg
screenshot.jpg [ 675.48 KiB | Viewed 11878 times ]

Post subject: Re: WD external stuck in selfscan please help
PostPosted: June 6th, 2020, 18:35 

Status update: No luck

I left the drive powered on for a day and tried checking with WDR again but saw "host_cache_overlay_not_loaded" this time.

I have modules backed up but since WDR doesn't show any modules I have no idea how to restore them.

Please help. I promise I'll never mess with a drive again :cry:

Post subject: Re: [SOLVED] WD external stuck in selfscan please help
PostPosted: October 12th, 2020, 10:42 

I SOLVED the issue :D

Summary: I plugged it into a linux box. Installed HDDSuperTool. Selected the reset/hard reset menu option and voila! Not only the disk, even the files show up like nothing happened!

More details:

Actually I tried plugging it into linux way back when it first happened. And different from windows where it showed gibberish things and couldn't install the device driver, on linux the disk have always been recognized correctly (serial, size etc.).

But it showed IO errors and couldn't read anything, and that all tools are Windows only so there is nothing to do in Linux. Because of that I didn't put a much thinking over it.

Only today I've encountered the HDDSuperTool, and reading it's a linux tool I got an idea that since the linux recognizes the device with no problem I can try that tool and do an ATA reset to stop the self scan. And within minutes I got the device back alive!

I think Windows USB drivers are messing up with the recognition part and since WDR & WDMarvel are relying on Windows' drivers and recognition on the device they were worthless.