Switch to full style
Tools for hard drive diagnostics, repair, and data recovery
Post a reply

Factory reset?

June 16th, 2020, 5:30

Hi,

I have a Seagate Video 3.5 HDD. Model S1G25GKN - ST1000VM002-1CT162, firmware version SC23.

Long story short: it's from a DirecTV DVR they never picked up, 2 years have passed since I canceled the service so I opened it up and took the disk.

Computer recognized it randomly every a few boots and I fixed it with this guide by disabling the PUIS mode and has worked ok ever since. That'd be like 2 weeks now.

My question is: Sometimes when I access the disk I'll hear it starts spinning, like it is turning on. Like when I boot up the computer. Is this normal? Was it off and then came on when I tried to use it?

I'm worried it might get damaged, and since I don't quite understand how it works I'm asking if maybe I had to change something else. Is there some way to reset all setting to factory state? When it was firstly shipped and intended to be used in a computer?

Sorry for the noobness and thanks in advance.

Re: Factory reset?

June 16th, 2020, 18:33

Check the power settings in your computer. Some power profiles will spin down your drives after a certain period of idle time. Alternatively, the drive's firmware may have a default APM setting which needs to be changed.

June 17th, 2020, 0:41

Hi,

Thank you for answering.

I disabled the "Turn off after..." option. I'll check if I still hear this sound I mentioned.
I used to have dual boot but stopped using Mint, so I'm only on Windows now.

In the meantime I read about APM and learnt a few things about using HDDGuru and hdparmtool.

I was hoping there'd be some kind of "reset everything to factory defaults" but I think there isn't.

I'll wait a few days to check if I still hear this on/off sound.

Thanks a lot.

June 18th, 2020, 3:06

fzabkar wrote:Check the power settings in your computer. Some power profiles will spin down your drives after a certain period of idle time. Alternatively, the drive's firmware may have a default APM setting which needs to be changed.

You are right,the drive's firmware may have a default APM setting which needs to be changed.
Post a reply