All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Is there still any use/future for HDD's?
PostPosted: July 10th, 2020, 12:07 

There are companies searching to keep expanding HDD's and come up with new ways for storage on hard drives such as heat assisted magnetic recording but I don't see the point. Why keep trying to beat a dead horse here, won't HDD's be obsolete very soon and move onto flash memory or MRAM technology?

I'm asking because I'm an undergrad researcher at a UNI and we are studying materials used for perpendicular magnetic recording for heat assisted magnetic recording devices. However I don't see the point at all, it seems like could be a waste of time.

Post subject: Re: Is there still any use/future for HDD's?
PostPosted: July 10th, 2020, 16:33 

well, AM radios were a waste of time too... and wheels without tires, and so on.
Flash technology is still far from being a reliable replacement. Each technology has its advantages and drawbacks, you can decide by your application.

pepe

PostPosted: July 11th, 2020, 11:43 

terkobitel2 wrote:
There are companies searching to keep expanding HDD's and come up with new ways for storage on hard drives such as heat assisted magnetic recording but I don't see the point. Why keep trying to beat a dead horse here, won't HDD's be obsolete very soon and move onto flash memory or MRAM technology?

I'm asking because I'm an undergrad researcher at a UNI and we are studying materials used for perpendicular magnetic recording for heat assisted magnetic recording devices. However I don't see the point at all, it seems like could be a waste of time.

You seeing the point or not is irrelevant, just as long as it's economically viable.

PostPosted: July 13th, 2020, 5:33 

Banned User

They'll be used less and less as boot devices, which is frankly just fine. For a lot of small computers, a mechanical hard drive doesn't really make sense, so SSDs are a fine choice.

PostPosted: July 16th, 2020, 7:39 

terkobitel2 wrote:

well I studied C++ and Uni, and at the start of the year was told next the year they would move to JAVA.

You will still be able to learn all the skills that it takes to learn your subject, and this is more the point.

when you learn how to read, you may start with 10 books. The point is not those 10 books, it is the next, and the next.

advice: try to excel at your study no matter how pointless it seems. it will be worth it and the next opportunity to pivot could be amazing.

PostPosted: July 30th, 2020, 12:20 

terkobitel2 wrote:

The price/TB of SSD tech won't be any cheaper than HDD in the near future, so yeah HDD won't be die anytime soon.

We may think "why drive motorcycle when you can sit comfortably in a car?" However for hundreds of millions people out there, there are many reasons than just comfort to get them to buy motorcycles.