All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New DeepSpar USB Stabilizer
PostPosted: March 12th, 2019, 19:59 

Recover unstable USB drives with any Windows software.
View this email in your browser

We are happy to announce the release of the DeepSpar USB Stabilizer, which allows any Windows software to quickly and reliably work with unstable/degraded USB storage devices. It is a combination of software and a hardware device which connects between the PC and USB source drive. The source drive shows up in Windows as if it was connected directly, allowing any software to work with it, including PC-3000, R-Studio, DFL, UFS Explorer, MRT, FTK, etc.

USB Stabilizer provides seamless hardware instability handling, ensuring that intermittent drive issues do not cause software/Windows to freeze, crash, or drop the drive. Whenever the drive gets ‘stuck’ reading a bad area, it is automatically reinitialized by various resets, dramatically speeding up bad sector processing and slowing down the rate of further physical degradation. As a last resort, the drive can even be repowered without aborting the recovery process.

Click on the following image to watch the demo video:

Key features:

Works with any non-proprietary USB storage, including devices converted to USB through an adapter. With basic adapters it can be used with almost any type of storage device, including SATA drives and the newest AHCI/NVMe PCIe SSDs.
Ensures that Windows always maintains a stable connection to the source drive, even if it’s physically degraded and intermittently goes offline.
Customizable read timeout duration in milliseconds.
Read timeout enforced by software reset, hardware reset, controller reset, or drive repower.
Works with vendor specific commands, so third party tools like PC-3000, DFL, and MRT can build head maps and repair firmware issues through the USB Stabilizer. In some cases the added stability even allows USB firmware repair procedures to be successful when they would otherwise fail due to Windows dropping the drive in the middle of the repair.
Optionally stops Windows from mounting the drive’s file system or even reading the MBR, giving access to drives with a bad sector at LBA0.
Hardware write blocking.
Free firmware/software updates.
The price is only $1,390US + shipping, making this the least expensive and most flexible hardware read instability handling tool on the market. An absolute must-have for any data recovery company:

Recover the newest unstable USB drives which cannot be converted to SATA.
Save time on USB to SATA conversions by recovering drives which aren’t too damaged through native USB.
With adapters, recover unstable AHCI/NVMe PCIe SSDs which lock up in any software, including M.2 M-key and Apple blade-style SSDs.
with a SATA drive bay, recover unstable SATA drives – not as efficiently as with native SATA tools, but still sufficient for moderately unstable drives, effectively freeing up a SATA port on your professional native SATA tools.
Orders can be placed on our website here.

http://deepspar.com/usb-stabilizer.html

Post subject: Re: New DeepSpar USB Stabilizer
PostPosted: March 14th, 2019, 5:40 

but i can't believe the price . too much :shock: :shock:

PostPosted: March 14th, 2019, 16:42 

Tawfeek wrote:
but i can't believe the price . too much :shock: :shock:

Not really, I’ve just ordered one. Will report on its performance in a while.

I’ve got some nasty PCI-E SSD’s to test it on. They all have been recovered but were a right royal PITA. If this increases the quality and speed of recovery then it’s worth it to me :-)

New!! HDD-PCB.COM for all your PCB and donor HDD requirements!

PostPosted: March 14th, 2019, 17:00 

It seems like a great tool. I'd love to look inside the box. :-)

PostPosted: March 14th, 2019, 17:19 

I wonder if the pro version of HDDSuperClone can perform just as well for PCI-e SSDs. HDDSuperClone can control a power relay, and Linux can be configured not to automatically mount storage devices.

PostPosted: March 14th, 2019, 19:59 

I just completed a review of the DeepSpar USB Stabilizer from a DFL-user's point of view. You can read it here.

PostPosted: March 15th, 2019, 12:56 

fzabkar wrote:
I wonder if the pro version of HDDSuperClone can perform just as well for PCI-e SSDs. HDDSuperClone can control a power relay, and Linux can be configured not to automatically mount storage devices.

That's what I always wanted to know. Everyone is comparing tests with windows which is not relevant. though there is a way to disable automount but still not like linux

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/117 ... ndows.html

PostPosted: March 15th, 2019, 18:30 

LarrySabo wrote:
I just completed a review of the DeepSpar USB Stabilizer from a DFL-user's point of view. You can read it here.

Hi Larry,

Would you be willing to do a test with Linux and the free version of HDDSuperClone with that same drive and sector range of the one in the review, and post the results here? I am REALLY curious how it would perform in comparison. From watching the videos, you would need to adjust a few settings in HDDSuperClone to match. First would be disabling all cloning phases except for phase 4 to prevent any skipping and re-reading. Then you would set the input offset to the first sector to be read, and set the size to the number of sectors that would take it to the end sector of your test (a bit different than what you are used to). If you need any help let me know.

Did I mention that I am REALLY REALLY REALLY curious what the result would be?!?!?!?

PostPosted: March 15th, 2019, 18:40 

maximus wrote:
LarrySabo wrote:

Hi Larry,

Would you be willing to do a test with Linux and the free version of HDDSuperClone with that same drive and sector range of the one in the review, and post the results here? I am REALLY curious how it would perform in comparison. From watching the videos, you would need to adjust a few settings in HDDSuperClone to match. First would be disabling all cloning phases except for phase 4 to prevent any skipping and re-reading. Then you would set the input offset to the first sector to be read, and set the size to the number of sectors that would take it to the end sector of your test (a bit different than what you are used to). If you need any help let me know.

Did I mention that I am REALLY REALLY REALLY curious what the result would be?!?!?!?

Me too!

PostPosted: March 15th, 2019, 19:23 

maximus wrote:
LarrySabo wrote:

Hi Larry,

Would you be willing to do a test with Linux and the free version of HDDSuperClone with that same drive and sector range of the one in the review, and post the results here?...

Sure. I'm a Linux retard so it may take some coaching. Let me see what I can do on my own and I'll call for help when I need it. It may be a little slow in coming, but I'll shoot for sometime next week.

Larry

PostPosted: March 15th, 2019, 21:04 

LarrySabo wrote:
maximus wrote:
LarrySabo wrote:

Hi Larry,

Would you be willing to do a test with Linux and the free version of HDDSuperClone with that same drive and sector range of the one in the review, and post the results here?...

Sure. I'm a Linux retard so it may take some coaching. Let me see what I can do on my own and I'll call for help when I need it. It may be a little slow in coming, but I'll shoot for sometime next week.

Larry

The easiest way to run it would be to use the HDDLiveCD. Just boot it up, plug the USB drive in, let it settle (even with automounting disabled Linux still has to get the drive info, plus read some sectors for reasons I don't know), double click on the HDDSuperClone desktop icon, and go through the few steps to perform the test. With this test, I would think you could choose the destination of NULL, as no data needs to be recovered, and the nature of this test should not have any noticeable speed increase by not actually writing data to a destination, as all of the delay is from the reading. Just play with a good drive first to get familiar with how to use HDDSuperClone, and once you have it figured out enough, do the test.

PostPosted: March 15th, 2019, 22:03 

Thanks for that, Scott. I'll give it a try on the weekend.

Larry

PostPosted: March 17th, 2019, 20:49 

maximus wrote:
LarrySabo wrote:
maximus wrote:
LarrySabo wrote:

Hi Larry,

Larry

The easiest way to run it would be to use the HDDLiveCD. Just boot it up, plug the USB drive in, let it settle (even with automounting disabled Linux still has to get the drive info, plus read some sectors for reasons I don't know), double click on the HDDSuperClone desktop icon, and go through the few steps to perform the test. With this test, I would think you could choose the destination of NULL, as no data needs to be recovered, and the nature of this test should not have any noticeable speed increase by not actually writing data to a destination, as all of the delay is from the reading. Just play with a good drive first to get familiar with how to use HDDSuperClone, and once you have it figured out enough, do the test.

I've tested many time, drives that hang, get stuck, freeze in Windows can be easily cloned some takes time but most will be recovered. The question should be; can these tools detect drives that cannot be detected by linux?
I had drives that needed to be reset every 2, 3 minutes, still manged to clone them with hddsuperclone.

Nissim

PostPosted: March 18th, 2019, 19:33 

Last night, I used HDDLiveCD to run HDDSuperClone on the same hard drive with the same starting offset and number of sectors to clone to a NULL file and e-mailed @maximus the project file and video of the process. The cloning process began with sector 0 and continued past sector 54299999 so I thought perhaps I didn't do it right. However, here's what @maximus just reported...
Quote:
You did it right, although if you want to match the test I see in your stabilizer test, in the clone settings you would set the input offset to 54016384, and the size to 283615 (puts the end at 54299999).

From watching the times in the video from before and after that sector range, I calculate a time of 2:24 to read those sectors :mrgreen:

The HDDSuperClone test was run on a different computer but it had the same specs as the one used in the USB Stabilizer tests, Win 10, i7, 8GB, so I wouldn't expect that to be a factor.

PostPosted: March 19th, 2019, 0:23 

Was the HDDSuperClone test done through the stabiliser, or was the unstable drive connected directly to the host's USB port? I'd be more interested in whether HDDSuperClone in combination with a power relay could perform as well as the DeepSpar Stabiizer.

PostPosted: March 19th, 2019, 8:57 

@fzabkar, it was connected directly to the copmuter's USB port. I must say, I'm impressed with how fast HDDClone was. A power reset wasn't required for these 300000 sectors, fortunately. I'm curious whether a simple inline switch pressed manually could serve as an alternative to using a power relay with HDDSuper Clone Pro for drives where there are limited times power resets are required.

PostPosted: March 19th, 2019, 18:08 

LarrySabo wrote:
@fzabkar, it was connected directly to the copmuter's USB port. I must say, I'm impressed with how fast HDDClone was. A power reset wasn't required for these 300000 sectors, fortunately.

I wonder if the instability issues may be due to deficiencies in Windows' error handling. Conversely, could HDDSuperClone's superior performance be due to Linux's error handling? That's the only variable that stands out for me.

Does HDDSuperClone log each soft or hard reset?

PostPosted: March 19th, 2019, 18:25 

I am going to be busy the next few days, and may or may not have some downtime to post. I will post more info about all aspects and explain some things, when I do have the time.

PostPosted: March 19th, 2019, 18:59 

I would like to point out one thing now. Larry used the FREE version of HDDSuperClone for the test.

When I get the time, I will post more about the how and why of the results, and my thought about how and why the USB Stabilizer works.

PostPosted: March 20th, 2019, 4:44 

Good stuff. But isn't it the same as USB PWR adapter from PC3000 kit?