All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: does USB Stabilizer eliminate the need for hardware imagers?
PostPosted: November 30th, 2020, 9:15 

i'm trying to understand the difference between USB Stabilizer / and hardware imagers

Conept.1
Does Deepspar USB Stabilizer eliminate the need for hardware imagers? since it can deal with bad sectors and clone the drive without degrading / damaging it ?

Dose that means we can use any software imaging tool like R-Drive Image + USB Stabilizer and will get results equal to hardware imager tool ?
and thus by using USB Stabilizer more sectors will be more retrievable, which will give us a results equal to hardware imager ?

Conept.2
Or still, the hardware imagers will read far more data than any software’s imagers can, because software’s imagers are generally limited to reading sectors in blocks, such as 256 sectors at a time, but hardware imagers can read on an individual sector level and thus it will read much more data!

Does this means that the "USB Stabilizer" will just enhance our ability to work with degraded / damaged drive only and it has nothing to do with the imaging process ! and we still need hardware imagers tools to read at individual sector level?

and thus USB Stabilizer makes the recovery/imaging process faster! when connected to any software or hardware tool?

which concept is correct concept 1 or 2 ? i'm trying to understand it but still confused !

Regards,
Mohammednt0

Post subject: Re: does USB Stabilizer eliminate the need for hardware imag
PostPosted: November 30th, 2020, 20:42 

Stabilizer is designed to work around / deal with problems associated with accessing a drive over USB. MAny of those shortcoming could also be attributed with how Windows deals with such drives. In DeepSpar's own words to address drives that can not be converted to SATA.

You have to wonder if first convert a SATA drive to USB to then use Stabilizer work around USB related issues due ill behaving drives is a good idea. Also if you compare to for example RapidSpar you'll find the latter offers many more options (repair simple firmware issues, selective head imaging) than software + Stabilizer.

That being said I use software (ReclaiMe Pro) + Stabilizer and I am happy with it, but I don't deal with SATA (mainly SD Cards and thumb drives). If I'd deal with SATA then I can imagine in some cases hooking up a SATA drive with many bad sectors via USB + Stabilizer may have some advantages over cloning with software with drive connected through SATA.

And I also wonder how well UFS for example would perform as it also offers time out settings and such. I guess there's room for experimentation there.

And, let's not forget about HDDSuperClone, did you look into that?

PostPosted: December 2nd, 2020, 2:57 

Arch Stanton wrote:
Stabilizer is designed to work around / deal with problems associated with accessing a drive over USB. MAny of those shortcoming could also be attributed with how Windows deals with such drives. In DeepSpar's own words to address drives that can not be converted to SATA.

You have to wonder if first convert a SATA drive to USB to then use Stabilizer work around USB related issues due ill behaving drives is a good idea. Also if you compare to for example RapidSpar you'll find the latter offers many more options (repair simple firmware issues, selective head imaging) than software + Stabilizer.

That being said I use software (ReclaiMe Pro) + Stabilizer and I am happy with it, but I don't deal with SATA (mainly SD Cards and thumb drives). If I'd deal with SATA then I can imagine in some cases hooking up a SATA drive with many bad sectors via USB + Stabilizer may have some advantages over cloning with software with drive connected through SATA.

And I also wonder how well UFS for example would perform as it also offers time out settings and such. I guess there's room for experimentation there.

And, let's not forget about HDDSuperClone, did you look into that?

thank you for taking time to answer my question, your answer was not satisfying i felt that i need more information so i contacted DeepSpar and here is there reply:

Quote:
Good Day,
i want to purchase USB Stabilizer but not sure about it please guide me to purchase the right product that will suit my needs.

Does Deepspar USB Stabilizer eliminate the need for hardware imagers? since it can deal with bad sectors and clone the drive without degrading/damaging it ?

Dose that means we can use any software imaging tool like R-Drive Image + USB Stabilizer and will get results equal to hardware imager tool ?

or still we need the hardware imager because hardware imager can read at individual sector level and thus it will read far more data than any software’s imagers !

Quote:
Answer: USB Stabilizer is built on exactly the same hardware platform as RapidSpar (RS) USB Add-on, but the firmware/software are completely different, and the capabilities are different. In broad terms they are used for the same purpose – dealing with read instability issues (like bad sectors) on USB storage devices like WD MyPassport HDDs, USB Flash drives, or NVMe SSDs converted to USB3 with an adapter.

RapidSpar USB Add-on only works with RapidSpar Assistant (RSA) software and not with any other third party tools, whereas USB Stabilizer can work with any software, including RSA.

Basically USB Stabilizer is the most advanced and expensive version of this platform, so it can work as RS USB Add-on when used with RSA, or it can work as USB Stabilizer, so basically you can choose which one to use.

Working with third party software like R-Studio can be a big advantage, for example if you are dealing with a rare filesystem type that RSA doesn’t support.

USB Stabilizer allows you to manually configure the read timeout in milliseconds, and in RS USB Add-on it’s all only automatic, so there is no manual control. Configuring the read timeout manually can improve performance in some cases by as much as 50%.

USB Stabilizer has some features that are similar to hardware data recovery imagers, namely the ability to set a read timeout controlled by hardware resets, which makes the process faster and safer, and also the ability to block read retries.

However hardware data recovery imagers have more functionality than this, like the ability to manually configure multi-pass imaging process (which help you to target specific errors and sectors to retrieve more data on later passes), use if/then statements to anticipate errors before they occur, disable specific read/write heads, and more. So it’s definitely not a full replacement, but USB Stabilizer + R-Studio would still be able to handle the majority of cases that normally require hardware imagers, since read timeout controlled by hardware resets is the most important function.

(Of course connecting SATA drives to USB Stabilizer through an adapter will be much slower than native SATA tools, by as much as 3 times; this is because the adapter itself takes a lot of time when resetting.)

Sincerely,
Serge Shirobokov

PostPosted: December 2nd, 2020, 7:43 

OK. Are you now satisfied?

PostPosted: December 2nd, 2020, 8:12 

Arch Stanton wrote:
OK. Are you now satisfied?

:mrgreen:

PostPosted: December 2nd, 2020, 17:54 

USB Stabilizer is nice, but if you need a generic hardware image I'd go for RapidSpar. But again, did you play with HDDSuperCLone? It may be all you need.

PostPosted: January 27th, 2021, 1:15 

Arch Stanton wrote:
USB Stabilizer is nice, but if you need a generic hardware image I'd go for RapidSpar. But again, did you play with HDDSuperCLone? It may be all you need.

i'm going to use HDDSuperCLone, if the business is returning a good profit, that will cover the cost of RapidSpar then i will purchase it.

PostPosted: January 27th, 2021, 18:53 

I would just like to confirm what has already been said, and that is that the USB Stabilizer (or the Direct USB mode of HDDSuperClone) is NOT a substitute for connecting a SATA drive to a hardware imager (or directly to the computer in the case of HDDSuperClone).

USB can be a hot mess, and not all USB adapters are the same. With the a good SATA to USB adapter, it can help compared to not having a hardware imager (or the pro version of HDDSuperClone). But with a not so good adapter, you can make things worse.

PostPosted: February 20th, 2024, 6:29 

For clarification, Can you define what you mean by a bad USB adaptor and a good USB adapter?

PostPosted: February 20th, 2024, 15:03 

*STABLE* NVMe - USB Adapter?
https://forums.anandtech.com/threads/stable-nvme-usb-adapter.2572973/

Possible flaw in popular USB-SATA adapter cables:
https://www.hddoracle.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=632