Switch to full style
Tools for hard drive diagnostics, repair, and data recovery
Post a reply

WD decryptor boards

January 25th, 2021, 4:44

Hi, i see some decryption boards available online for WD (latest drives). The claim is most of the tools are not able to decrypt the latest type of encryption. Which can be fairly right aswell.
I wanted to understand, i had seen a Charger drive with the client doing a quick format.
The drive returned 0s.
Data was read in PBA mode. However the data seemed encrypted and not interpret-able .
All i wanted to understand from your experience is, whether such a decryptor board help to decrypt such a case?

I am posting this inquiry on behalf of another DR engineer who wants to import this boards to solve this case.
I am surely out of money to afford anything more atm post the portable iii buy. :)
some inputs here would help some one recover a case which is very important.

--

Re: WD decryptor boards

January 25th, 2021, 4:44

also, the client confirms there are no 3rd party encryption schemes used. So that is ruled out.

January 25th, 2021, 5:02

Those PCB are to allow the access to SA and solve the FW problems.
Of course, if the drive is SED you need too access SA to solve it.

January 25th, 2021, 5:39

Hi there, i am not pointing towards unlocked pcbs.
SA is already accessed with the unlocked boards. Using an unlocked board, we got the full dump of SA.

its quite confusing the way it is described by the vendor.
--
Attachments
WhatsApp Image 2021-01-20 at 2.07.46 PM.jpeg
sed.png

January 25th, 2021, 16:04

The pictured item is an adapter PCB so you can easily wire the existing USB PCB for a SATA connection. This allows you to use the native CPU/MCU to decrypt the data. You typically need to remove some capacitors and possibly a crystal for it to work.

January 26th, 2021, 3:11

thats it? the same old thing! so why is the vendor Jeeshan talking things about new encryption (??sedV2?? )
he needs to give better description i believe.
Any one in touch with him ? Can they help ask on my behalf? Whether PBA read encrypted data be decrypted using this board? this is what the other DR engineer wants to know.

let me know

January 29th, 2021, 7:02

Has anyone had any experience ordering from the following supplier:

jieshan.weng
www.datarecovery-china.com

I noticed that he has quite a nice looking PCB adapter for wiring on SATA connection to USB based PCB ( see: https://www.facebook.com/datarecoveryChina ) and also sells unlocked PCBs. I do not have the 3.5" unlocked PCBs yet and I wondered if anyone has ordered from this supplier and can confirm that these PCBs are OK?

Thanks,
John

January 30th, 2021, 14:57

This is the guy who had posted the pics that I have uploaded here on his FB.
jieshan.weng

February 5th, 2021, 11:25

oh ok, i got the whole scene corrected in my mind..
so this is nothing but a USB bypass SATA pinout based thing which basically gets the thing decrypted through the new MCUs (ie SED)
my bad..
Post a reply