All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Choosing a software for formatted Veracrypt Partition
PostPosted: February 17th, 2021, 21:46 

I had a Windows system, and I had an NTFS partition that was encrypted with Veracrypt. Unfortunately whenever a partition is encrypted with Veracrypt, Windows detects it as a RAW unformatted partition. Windows offered to quick format it and the encrypted partition was accidentally quick formatted. Do note that the partition was not mounted with Veracrypt when the quick format was performed.

There is a difference between formatting a mounted Veracrypt partition, in which case, you can probably still mount the partition and try to recover data from the mounted partition. However, if you format an unmounted partition, it destroys the primary Veracrypt header and you won't even be able to mount the partition at all. Fortunately, for me, I had a backup Veracrypt header.

Now I want to recover data from the partition with a data recovery tool and will pay about $100 for the software. My current system runs Linux, and right now I do not have access to any Windows machine. However, I have a valid Windows license, and am willing to install Windows on an extra drive if need be. Which recovery tool will be the best fit for my scenario? I have heard people talk highly of R-Studio, DMDE and UFS Explorer, but cannot decide the best one for my scenario.