All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New data recovery lab
PostPosted: March 6th, 2021, 9:29 

Hello to everyone,

I want to do a data recovery job. I will set up my own data recovery lab. First of all my goal is to start with low capital. I had to ask your ideas about the necessary equipment, devices and software.
What equipment should be in a low capital data recovery lab. How do you think the content of the installation should be. Thank you from now.

Post subject: Re: New data recovery lab
PostPosted: March 10th, 2021, 7:18 

You will only be able to undertake DR on a professional basis with lots of experience. To start with read up on things online. DR equipment, both hardware and software tools aren't cheap. I would recommend using things like DMDE to start with and HDDSuperClone Pro which runs on Linux and is a real bargain. Do all this with old drives and only offer paid services when you become more proficient. Always remember that you might only get one go at recovering data. Taking a drive apart and rebuilding it, say with new heads greatly multiplies the risk of losing everything.

Paid training like Scott Moulton's 5 day residential course is good but you need to know about Computers before you spend your money.

Ideally you need to work with a DR pro or company to learn the skills but getting a job without experience would be very hard. Why would a company pay you when you know nothing when they could hire somebody who can bring value to the business?

PostPosted: March 10th, 2021, 9:19 

Dear Alfarom,

Thank you for your answer. I am new to data recovery. I have expertise in forensic informatics, cyber security and cyber intelligence in my existing laboratory. I want to include data recovery area in my current work. The equipments required is quite expensive. I will start with Dolphin Data Lab DFL-PCI 4X in the first place. But apart from these, I got very confused in my research and therefore I wanted to consult the experts of this business.

PostPosted: March 10th, 2021, 9:42 

ibrahim wrote:
start with low capital.

This part of your question isn't compatible with this part:
ibrihim wrote:
the necessary equipment, devices and software.

The necessary equipment, devices & software don't come at "low capital". They're very expensive. And, as mentioned, even if you had them it wouldn't accomplish much without the needed knowledge to use them.

PostPosted: March 12th, 2021, 22:22 

ibrahim wrote:
I will start with Dolphin Data Lab DFL-PCI 4X in the first place.
BAD START ALERT, spend your money elsewhere.

For tools:
You can setup a 150$ pc just for imaging with HDDSuperClone (wich for what it does, it's really the best $ you will spend in your early stages)

To learn:
I know what it feels like to be a begginer... Help and knowledge will rarely meet you without strings attached, specially because you will ask for help with the wrong questions.
Read as much as you can, do not touch drives that need physical work (at least until you have the tools, i've done 3 years just imaging, fixing firmware, rom swapping, and minor pcb repairs).

My advice:
DO NOT BE A F*CK UP.
It's really easy too loose credibility when your curiosity takes the best of you and you will end up with a fingerprint on a clients drive, and you have started messing with that drive just to take a "look under the hood".
DR feels like big, easy money. It will not be. Sometimes it will be 2am (like it is where I live) and you will be banging your head against the wall when you are stuck on a drive and you need to solve it. You must really enjoy this to work daily without loosing focus.
Take small steps, learn how to diagnose without BIG BOI TOOLS, understand what Brand does what when some issue occurs.
Ask your friends, family and lovers for old drives, experiment on them. Never try new things on drives you dont want to loose the data.
Play safe, it's better to do 2 out of 10 jobs, with minimal risk that managing 5/10 and risk it... time will catch up and soon you will be in a bad spot.
This sums my advice, remember that people are really fond of their personal data, and companies can be ruined if their data is lost due to incompetence.

GL.

PostPosted: April 6th, 2021, 7:17 

ibrahim wrote:
Hello to everyone,

I want to do a data recovery job. I will set up my own data recovery lab. First of all my goal is to start with low capital. I had to ask your ideas about the necessary equipment, devices and software.
What equipment should be in a low capital data recovery lab. How do you think the content of the installation should be. Thank you from now.

Respected sir, I am very interested in your data recovery and also I have experience in this field of data recovery. I want to join your project.