All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: I can't get Wipe My Disks to work
PostPosted: October 2nd, 2022, 23:31 

I downloaded and unzip wipemydisks1.1.imgc.zip. I also downloaded HDD Raw Copy Tool and copied imgc file onto thumb drive. I can see message that file has been copied successfully. But when I click on thumb drive to verify if file was copied, a message pops up thumb drive needs to be formatted for access. I have formatted thumb drive four times but I keep getting message to format drive after using HDD Raw tool to copy imgc file onto thumb drive. Could you help?

Deede

Post subject: Re: I can't get Wipe My Disks to work
PostPosted: January 19th, 2023, 15:56 

I'm facing the same problem. Did you find a resolution?

PostPosted: January 22nd, 2023, 7:23 

The USB key works fine, I can use it for other purposes.

PostPosted: January 27th, 2023, 5:05 

Banned User

Hi,
It sounds like there may be an issue with the formatting of the thumb drive. When using the HDD Raw Copy Tool to copy the imgc file to the thumb drive, it may be overwriting the file system and causing the drive to become unreadable.

One solution could be to reformat the thumb drive to a different file system such as NTFS or exFAT before copying the imgc file over. Additionally, ensure that the thumb drive is properly connected to the computer before attempting to copy the file.

Another solution could be trying to copy the imgc file with a different tool, like Win32DiskImager, which is designed specifically for creating bootable USB drives, and see if that works.

You can also try to download the WipeMyDisks again and make sure you downloaded the correct version for your system, some software might only work with certain operating systems.

PostPosted: January 27th, 2023, 14:47 

Don't bother with the .imgc version. Even though it is compressed, it is actually larger than the .img version.

If you open the .img.zip download in 7Zip, you will see a Linux file system.

https://hddguru.com/software/Wipe-My-Disks/wipemydisks1.1.img.zip

If you extract the .img file and open it in DMDE, you will see that it is a byte-for-byte image of a partitioned and formatted ext4 file system. All you need to do is to copy the .img file, sector by sector, to sector 0 of your flash drive. You can do this using Tools -> Copy Sectors in DMDE. There is no need to format the flash drive.

https://dmde.com/

PostPosted: January 27th, 2023, 14:49 

ChristianMorris wrote:
Hi,
It sounds like there may be an issue with the formatting of the thumb drive. When using the HDD Raw Copy Tool to copy the imgc file to the thumb drive, it may be overwriting the file system and causing the drive to become unreadable.

One solution could be to reformat the thumb drive to a different file system such as NTFS or exFAT before copying the imgc file over. Additionally, ensure that the thumb drive is properly connected to the computer before attempting to copy the file.

Another solution could be trying to copy the imgc file with a different tool, like Win32DiskImager, which is designed specifically for creating bootable USB drives, and see if that works.

You can also try to download the WipeMyDisks again and make sure you downloaded the correct version for your system, some software might only work with certain operating systems.

Hi, Christian.

Do androids dream of electric sheep?

-Artie

PostPosted: January 28th, 2023, 15:04 

I should add that Windows does not recognise the ext4 file system.