All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: HDDErase v4.0
PostPosted: August 25th, 2009, 4:37 

even Enhanced Secure erase is not safe........

PostPosted: August 25th, 2009, 5:08 

Oh is it so? how's that possible as disks firmware itself is overwritten

PostPosted: October 26th, 2009, 15:25 

I know this topic is old, but I think is the best place to put something like this.

For some reason, I can't get version 4.0 to work right. The CD boots up, but AUTOEXEC.bat errors out and I have no access to hdderase.

Has anyone been able to successfully do this?

PostPosted: July 20th, 2010, 11:16 

I too switched off my computer after letting it run for like hours without any response ...

i was using HDD Erase 3.1.... is it normal? cos i tried afew more times, the computer simply have no response while performing the secure erase

PS: the link given is to just d/l the new program rite? cos i burn the disc liao...but computer cannot boot

PostPosted: August 10th, 2010, 19:53 

Hi I have used the UBCD version 4.1.1 to load HDErase tool.

I go through all the menus, agreements, confirmation but after the final confirmation nothing happens.

I have tried everything even removing the protection in the BIOS, and suggestions?

Hard disk is Samsung HD502HJ 500GB

PostPosted: September 8th, 2010, 5:41 

Issue:

I had a Hitachi 2.5 SATA HD installed on a Toshiba Satellite A100 laptop. Oneday I decided to upgrade to a bigger HD and securely erase the old one. Used the HDDErase 4.0 that decided it needs only 52 min. to get the task done but actually took more than 2 hours and the laptop ran out of battery. Plugged the laptop to AC later and the HD is locked, "idrive" password wasn't working!

- The BIOS does not allow proceeding without the HD password and unlocking by connecting the HD to USB is not supported.
- Booting MHDD without the HD then plugging it later did not work either.

Solution:
(hot swapping)
- Plug the HD enough time to be detected by BIOS at startup then quickly unplug it just before the BIOS asks for the password.
- The BIOS will not ask for the password and skips to Booting from CD.... You should have the HDDErase 4.0 CD or Hiren's Boot CD in drive at that time.
- Once CD starts loading plug the HD back.
- Select Unlock drive.
- You're done!

Timing is the key in that method.... Leave the HD plugged enough so that it is detected by BIOS then unplug it before it asks for password then plug it back once the CD starts to load.

PostPosted: October 13th, 2010, 15:33 

This is my first time using HDDerase and i can't get it to start properly. I go through some of the confirmation screens and press "y", but it keeps freezing on the following section:
Image (i found the screenshot from another person, i ran mine from boot before Windows XP loaded).

I've run it via the latest Ultimate Boot CD (as well as UBC from USB), and still hangs at the same section. Any ideas?

My motherboard is a Asus P7P55D, CPU is i5 750, Windows XP and i have two Sata drives, a Hitachi 1tb that has Secure Erase and Seagate 1gb that has Enhance secure erase as well as standard.

PostPosted: October 18th, 2010, 3:12 

sounds great. Could upload a screen shot?

PostPosted: October 21st, 2010, 12:10 

** UPDATE **

I managed to get it to work. I did something i should have done before, which is read the ReadMe file :oops: Before i just skimmed through it, but it has all the answers.

Anyway, i changed my SATA settings from "Enhanced" to "IDE" mode, then the menu worked and the drive showed as Frozen, so back to the ReadMe file and followed the instructions and did a hard reboot and it worked. It estimated my 1TB drive would take 5 hours but it took around 3.

BTW, what is the "Security Frozen" feature anyway? And does it go back to that Frozen state once i'm done erasing the drive or do i turn it back on somehow?

I wish the program could erase multiple drives at the same time like DBAN as i have two; is that a limitation with the "secure erase" method itself or is that something for the ToDo list for the future?

PostPosted: December 1st, 2010, 15:04 

dencee,

Thank you for your good work.
I would like to get involved in extending the features of Version 4 to automatically schedule all drives and handle exceptions better.

Let's chat.

PostPosted: December 4th, 2010, 20:42 

I am trying to run HDDerase version 4.0 on my Dell with Windows 7 and am having an issue.

I run the boot disk in DOS and am getting the 3 steps and getting to the options for the drives.
This is the problem.

I'm getting
P0 is NONE
P1 is NONE

Its like its not recognizing the drive.
This is all it says and does nothing. I've read countless posts on here and other sites, only a couple have gotten this and no one has ever had a response to fix it. I'm hoping with as long as its been since anyone has posted here maybe someone will have an answer for me. Please!
It's supposed to be so easy and I just don't understand it. Have read all the readme files and whole bunches of stuff, and no explanation on this. Thanks in advance.

PostPosted: December 8th, 2010, 7:22 

Hi,

I had ThinkPad R60 and tried to erase HDD with HHD Erase. Now I have same problem as many, password idrive is not accepted. I cannot boot from Hiren's BC or from UBCD. Only when I remove HDD I can boot from bootable CD. When I boot my laptop without HDD it is OK. Then I plugg HDD and I get black screen with blinking cursor and that's it.
Can someone help me to unlock HDD? Thanks.

P.S.
HDD is WD2500BEVT

PostPosted: December 8th, 2010, 7:32 

m_kamaleg2000 wrote:
Issue:

I had a Hitachi 2.5 SATA HD installed on a Toshiba Satellite A100 laptop. Oneday I decided to upgrade to a bigger HD and securely erase the old one. Used the HDDErase 4.0 that decided it needs only 52 min. to get the task done but actually took more than 2 hours and the laptop ran out of battery. Plugged the laptop to AC later and the HD is locked, "idrive" password wasn't working!

- The BIOS does not allow proceeding without the HD password and unlocking by connecting the HD to USB is not supported.
- Booting MHDD without the HD then plugging it later did not work either.

Solution:
(hot swapping)
- Plug the HD enough time to be detected by BIOS at startup then quickly unplug it just before the BIOS asks for the password.
- The BIOS will not ask for the password and skips to Booting from CD.... You should have the HDDErase 4.0 CD or Hiren's Boot CD in drive at that time.
- Once CD starts loading plug the HD back.
- Select Unlock drive.
- You're done!

Timing is the key in that method.... Leave the HD plugged enough so that it is detected by BIOS then unplug it before it asks for password then plug it back once the CD starts to load.

This doesn't work for me. When I plugg the HDD laptop reboots.

PostPosted: March 12th, 2011, 9:35 

Is there any hard disk wipe utility that wipes drives from sector to sector? In few words, one hdd wipe utility that can wipe a sectors range,

I mean that allow you to choose the starting sector and erase from that sector on, some kind of offset, the final sector is welcome but not needed, it would be enough to wipe from a certain sector up to the last one.

Thank you if you have the right tip.

C.

PostPosted: March 12th, 2011, 9:41 

Corsari wrote:
Is there any hard disk wipe utility that wipes drives from sector to sector? In few words, one hdd wipe utility that can wipe a sectors range

The dd command (native on *nix, and it has been ported to Windows) can do exactly that e.g. by using /dev/zero as the input file.

Why do you want to do this? Is there a filesystem on the disk where you want to do this?

P.S. Please start a new thread for your reply - do NOT reply to this thread, since your question is off-topic for this specific thread.

PostPosted: March 12th, 2011, 10:57 

@ Vulcan: thank you so much for the tip, I give you some answers and some questions.

The reason for this, is because I'll keep one partition on four (now they are four).

I want to safely erase the disk space occupied by the last three partitions. Only after this, I'll create a unique partition on the space I've erased.

No I don't want safely wipe each of the three partitions, I know the offset where the first partition ends and I want to i.e. zeros-fill the disk space from that offset, on. Also because of testing purpose.

Would you kindly suggest me which should be the correct dd command to provide?

Thank you
R.

PostPosted: March 12th, 2011, 11:10 

As I explained above, your question is not about HDDErase and so it is off-topic for this thread. Therefore I will not respond further in this thread.

Please start a new thread to discuss this further, because your topic is not about HDDErase. Thank you :)

PostPosted: April 17th, 2011, 20:12 

Sorry dont know how old this thread is but I may have a solution for you guys experiencing frozen / locked hard drives, mine was in this same state and ive been working on it almost hours to try a figure out the problem.

In the end it took 2 pieces of software to sort the problem, HDDERASE 4.0 and MHDD, the instructions on how I did this are below.

Starting with MHDD and the bios set with all drives to standard IDE mode.

First I entered the CONFIG option in MHDD, when asked if you want to edit the drives config file say yes, you can bypass most of the options by just pressing enter except the one which mentions security, make sure you enable your drives security features.

Next I had to set manually lock the drive with a password of my own using the PWD command, make sure you use a password you will remember, after completing this I ran the FASTERASE command which is MHDD's version of a secure erase, it asked me to enter the password I set earlier and hey presto it worked.

Ran the same command once more just to be sure and it worked again, I then rebooted my system and booted into HDDERASE this time, and finally went straight through and successfully ran a secure erase on my SSD.

I think the problem we are experiencing here is that somewhere along the lines security features for the drives have been disabled, stopping these pieces of software setting their default passwords and therefore failing.

PostPosted: May 26th, 2011, 6:29 

Thought it will be a good idea to write down on how I sorted out my issue with locking up my Hitachi drive with HDDErase 4.0 from UBCD.

I too switched off my computer before the Secure Erase was finished so I ended up with a Hitachi locked drive ( ATA Password). I tried most of the solutions from UBCD forums, HDD Guru and I don't think there is one solution when the drive is locked up by HDD Erase ( no matter what version).

So, I locked the drive when using HDDErase 4.0 (from UBCD 5.0.3) and all I've done is to run HDDErase 3.1 (from UBCD 4.1.0); although it said that the drive is locked up it did the Secure Erase and then the drive was fine, checked with Hitachi Diagnostic Tool; there was no need to add any passwords...etc.

PostPosted: June 13th, 2011, 11:12 

i had same problem in my laptop, i stopped the erase in the middle of operation and then i was unable to continue because the HDD riqured the password: thed hdd requires the password as first thing , and i was unable to restart the hdd ERASE phase. After 3 retryes the HDD is in locked state and the HDD Erase utility is unable to reset the passwerd.

I solved in this way: i removed the hdd from laptop, i started PC from usb key, i plugged in the HDD the PC at machine powered, then i entered in the hdd Erase program and i did as Esben, i start a new secure erase, in this way the HDD Erase program can reset the password.

bye!