Switch to full style
Hard drives can be a lot of fun!
Post a reply

DIY platter swap tool - lol

November 16th, 2011, 13:28

Found this old video made me :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wgqOcEAdSas

With the amount of tinned food in my kitchen I could have a production line going :lol:

Loki

Re: DIY platter swap tool - lol

November 18th, 2011, 8:55

Hmmm this got me thinking :iknow: what about a using a car piston compression tool

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... 55216#dtab

If it worked it would be cheaper than SD or HDRC tools & may be it could be modified for platters with spacers.

Loki

January 17th, 2012, 10:02

I'm not sure I would trust a piston compression tool to work on a customers drive but I would be interested to see a proof of concept. Why not give it a try.

January 17th, 2012, 13:43

hotmuon wrote:I'm not sure I would trust a piston compression tool to work on a customers drive but I would be interested to see a proof of concept. Why not give it a try.

I agree, I have the SD HD HPE PRO & the DTI Base Replace tools etc.
It was just an idea I was planning to try in my spare time to see if it would work?

Loki

March 9th, 2012, 15:57

Hmmm reckon a better alternative could be made from a cooks ring (stainless), cut up the wall and file off the edges, line the inside wall with silicon rubber (cut from a baking mould or sheet), glued in place with photomount or any other adhesive and a jubilee clip araldited to the outside or a couple of little brackets made so a thumb turn screw could be used to tighten it together.

Hard to describe, but I'm sure you get the gist. The silicon sheet inside the ring would protect the platters and keep them in place easily. (BTW I'm a chef and have never seen a platter removing tool but from what that guy was doing and having used a similar arrangement myself when a ring of the right size wasn't available for a dessert stack). I reckon it'd work just fine. :lol: :lol: :lol:

S

March 10th, 2012, 8:00

Better still, line these bad boys with some silicon rubber and you're all set for less than a tenner a pair (+ P&P). 8)

Adjustable Kitchen Rings

I'll have a couple of sets of these for the proper use I think as I have no intention of ever removing any platters from an HDD. :D

S
Post a reply