Switch to full style
Hard drives can be a lot of fun!
Post a reply

Re: Perhaps we have it wrong?

March 4th, 2013, 5:55

Today's winning customer e-mail after receiving a quote of $350 for a WD 1TB USB with bad heads:

---
Hi

I'm actually shocked at how ridiculous your prices are, I can buy myself a rand new 1tb hard rice for $60 all I wanted was for you to try save some photos o mine and you want to charge me $350 it's completely insane! I will come fetch it sometime this week.

Sent from my iPhone
---

:lol:

March 4th, 2013, 9:07

A real winner!

March 4th, 2013, 9:08

PS. They indeed can buy a "rand new rice" for $60.

April 4th, 2013, 17:19

Haha, great post. I just had a client who emphasized that he took his drive to a "NETWORK ADMINISTRATOR" at his company. He (network administrator) claimed he successfully recovered a few drives by:

1. leaving it a lone for a few weeks, which miraculously brings it back to life.
2. throw the already failed drive on the floor
3. hit it slightly with a hammer

I suppose 2 and 3 MIGHT fix stuck heads on the platters but at what risk.. I dont know even know the drive would fix itself by itself...

Anyways, I loved number 3 about the PCB. About half my clients automatically assume that if the drive was dropped and it isnt spinning it's PCB damage.

April 5th, 2013, 22:49

Regarding #1 ,we know that small things like atoms and electrons vibrate and move. I think we can all agree on that. So maybe it's possible natural Brownian motion allowed something to vibrate and lock itself back into position.

December 4th, 2014, 17:59

labtech wrote:That's crazy.

Or how about received each individual platter, from a 4 platter Seagate, each platter in its own CD paper sleeve?! Guy was upset when told him it is was not recoverable.

Classics...

that is truly amazing ... and cool platter on a cd sleeve ahah

February 26th, 2015, 14:19

Hi guys!

I have to tell you that ive received a hard drive qith a Headcrash an the client told us tha he will conserve the drive in his freezer and maybe in 20 years somebody will be able to recover it :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Regard to you all

February 26th, 2015, 14:36

Thanks for resurrecting this thread. I had forgotten about it and enjoyed the chuckles as I re-read through it. Too bad that nothing has changed.

February 26th, 2015, 15:33

Deuterium wrote:15. Remove the 'disks' to another 'reader'. (Actual client suggestions / comments!)
16. Magic machine, costs about £40,000, if you invested you would have one. (As above)

The funny thing is I've had computer techs argue with me on the phone that such a machine exists and they know of companies (I think DriveSavers) who have them. :lol:

February 26th, 2015, 15:47

data-medics wrote:
Deuterium wrote:15. Remove the 'disks' to another 'reader'. (Actual client suggestions / comments!)
16. Magic machine, costs about £40,000, if you invested you would have one. (As above)

The funny thing is I've had computer techs argue with me on the phone that such a machine exists and they know of companies (I think DriveSavers) who have them. :lol:

Then send to them, np. Why bother me?!? I love those... When one stops arguing with them and explain to them to simply send it to such and such they claim to do miracles, all of a sudden they have a change in perspective.
Post a reply