All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: PCB repair/replaced help needed for two WD BOOK
PostPosted: June 27th, 2010, 11:52 

Hi everyone, I have a double failure on my archive drive and on the backup of my archival drive, so literally all my data is gone by now.I need help with the PCB repair, I contacted some guys who do sell PCB and do the ROM chip swap, but they are in China, and I do not want to risk shipping anything oversea at all.
I need help to find the PCB compatible with my drives, and/or someone who can swap the rom chip (or rewrite the data) on the new PCB, or even better someone who can repair my PCBs.
For now, I will take a guess and start to check the first 2 diodes D4 & D3 , it looks like some guys were able to fix the PCB replacing the diodes... I want to start with that even I can not visually find any burned/smoked part/area.
Below, the description of the HDD, and symptoms.

HDD #1
WD BOOK 750 GB
S/N: WCAU50074248
MDL:WD7500AACS-00D680
WWN:50014EE2570BF5E2
Date:06 jul 2008
DCM:DHRNNT2CFB
LBA:1465149168

PCB: 2061-701537-R00 AD XC 6Q05 0WWP M 0007010 9017 (sticker)
2060-701537-004 rev A (printed on the board)

HDD # 2
WD BOOK 1000GB SATA/8MB cache
S/N: WCAU4617572
MDL:WD10EAVS-007B1
WWN:50014EE257B631AC
Date:13 Ian 2009
DCM:HANNHT2MAB
LBA:195325168

PCB: 2061-701590-A00 AC XW7C18 EMTE * 0003280 9283 (sticker)
2060-701590-000 rev A (printed on the board)

There was no activity (zero) on the external enclosure, no led light, and no HDD spinning at all.
After i took out the HDD from enclosure and connected to a separate SATA adapter there also is no activity, no spinning, zero.It looks to me like is no power to HDD.
Than I connected the HDD (bare) to a SATA drive adapter. Nothing, no movement.I've noticed that the LED on the power source (of the SATA adapter) started to dim and blink anytime I plugged the SATA connector to the HDD, and went back to steady green when I removed the unplug the connector from the drive.
I unscrewed out the PCB bord and plugged the SATA adapter on the bare PCB, the same result....the LED started to dim and blink anytime I plugged the SATA connector to the PCB and went back to steady green when I remove the Connector, basically same warning light with the PCB connected to the HD, or with the PCB bare.

I made a test today, I mounted a PCB from an 500 GB old WD (similar, but not exactly the same SN), and I tested it for a second on the 750 HDD , and it started spinning (I did not wanted to let it run, because it can damage both PCB and drive), so I'm positive the problem is within the PCB not delivering power to HDD.
Thank you !

Post subject: Re: PCB repair/replaced help needed for two WD BOOK
PostPosted: June 27th, 2010, 20:12 

Before doing anything else, check the diodes and resistors. A digital multimeter will cost you $10.

If you need to replace the PCB, see this thread:
http://www.deadharddrive.com/forums/vie ... =9531#9531

The OP writes that s/he "took the board to an electronics repair store and for $20 the ROM chip was swapped."

If your ROM is internal to the MCU, then the above option will not be available to you.

PostPosted: June 27th, 2010, 20:31 

I'd just get these drives assessed by a data recovery professional. My experience with these models is that it is very likely that the problem is more than just the PCB. If it is just the PCB, the price shouldn't be too high. But, you can expect to pay at least $500 for such a recovery from most labs. Others may quote less over the phone, but I'd be leery of most of them.

PostPosted: June 27th, 2010, 22:12 

There is a respected member of this forum not too far from you he goes by thatdellguy. Send him a PM and take your drives there for him to look at. He can handle this one and give you a good estimate of the costs on this and what it will take to save both or one of your drives.

PostPosted: June 27th, 2010, 22:19 

@ fzabkar: I have a meter, and I already measured the first 2 diodes, one (D4) is in short (measured as a short circuit both polarities) I found out on the forum that is a TVS diode (Transient Voltage Suppressor) and is actually short out when the power surge (I presumed was a power surge) happened....Now..... I will look to find a replacement for that diode (or swap one from other PCB), and move from there.
@ lcouhey: I will try to do as much as I can to fix it myself I have 2 shots, same data on 2 drives with the same problem, if not...I will wait to have the money to pay a pro , or put the whole thing in stand by, and wait even more for this kind a repairs to drop in price, Simply put I'm unemployed, and as much as I need the data and my portfolio back, (there is no music or movies, just work related projects), I do not have the money to pay a pro.
If I would have the money, I would not have asked for help in a repair forum.
@ poehere I will try to contact the person as you suggested.
Thank you all for the replies, I will keep you posted with the progress (if any)

PostPosted: June 27th, 2010, 23:00 

A 12V TVS diode can be substituted with an SMBJ12A, and a 5V diode with an SMAJ5.0A.

Both are available for ~$1 from Digikey and Mouser, and maybe Newark.

PostPosted: June 27th, 2010, 23:05 

Watch out find the guy post from Greece and see what happened to him when he tried to fix his PCB. Not saying you will have same problems but I would be careful on this one if your skills in this field are not so good. Check out some other posts and see what happened when people tried to fix their PCB boards and they did not know what they were doing. Then go on if you wish on this one. Good luck

PostPosted: June 28th, 2010, 15:27 

roudesign wrote:
Simply put I'm unemployed, and as much as I need the data and my portfolio back...I do not have the money to pay a pro. If I would have the money, I would not have asked for help in a repair forum.

Not interested...

PostPosted: June 28th, 2010, 16:21 

I would try another forum being precise : how can I repair this kind of failure with a multimeter and a PC. Who knows?

Post subject: Problem solved...DIY worked for me !
PostPosted: June 30th, 2010, 16:02 

Hello everyone. I want you all to know I have all my data, from both drives is saved and well.I want to say Thank you ! to everyone who tried to help me with their knowledge, and their suggestions. After reading all the comments to my request for help I realized that probably I posted my request in the wrong category, or maybe in to the wrong forum.
It looks like from a certain point of view some of the participants in to discussions (allover this site) are recovery business guys hunting for clients (nothing wrong or unusual, just saying)
For whom is interested how I did it.... well, I was very lucky, OK, again, I was very lucky, and on my both drives, I had only the D4 TVS diode in short.I found a donor, replaced, and all OK. (actually can work with D4 removed but has no protection).
I will document, and post every step I took to fix the problem, I have detailed macro photos of the PCB's and the placement of the failed parts.
Maybe, down the road somebody will be able to use my info.
Just a note, on my WD PCBs there is no removable ROM chip , the ROM is internal to the MCU, so the ROM swap is not a DIY option.
Regards.

Post subject: Re: Problem solved...DIY worked for me !
PostPosted: June 30th, 2010, 16:43 

roudesign wrote:

They could but they won't. It has already been documented on this forum 10000000000+ times. I don't think regular contributors use this forum to fish for customers, I think some people just wouldn't ever "get it" no matter what anyone told them and it is simply much easier to say "let me do it for you" than spend a lot of time and effort trying in vain to help over the internet.

Anyway, good job.

Post subject: Re: Problem solved...DIY worked for me !
PostPosted: June 30th, 2010, 21:06 

roudesign wrote:
I will document, and post every step I took to fix the problem, I have detailed macro photos of the PCB's and the placement of the failed parts.

Many thanks for that.

You may also like to post your info to WD's forums:
http://community.wdc.com/t5/WD-Internal ... nal_drives
http://community.wdc.com/t5/WD-External ... nal_drives