All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Seagate 7200.12
PostPosted: July 25th, 2010, 19:40 

coffeebean wrote:
digitalrecoveryNZ - (your diagnosis is bad!! and this means you are wrong)

a. your patient was probably not same as elish.
b. your problem was CERTAINLY not the same as elish.

So you give elish a solution to repair a broken heart when elish has a broken leg.

digitalrecoveryNZ - if you were a doctor - you would be dead mate :mrgreen:

Funny, his error messages were the same as what I was having. These forums are about helping people and giving advice. The solution I gave would not destroy a drive even if his problem was not the same as mine. All people seem to do on these forums is state that they can fix the problem and that the person with said problem should send it to them what good is that? I am actually trying to help someone with a similar problem as what I have experienced.
So "mate" Unless you have something worthwhile to say or if you yourself can help Elish why don't you just hush.

PostPosted: July 26th, 2010, 1:56 

I would try on Seagate forum...

PostPosted: July 26th, 2010, 2:38 

digitalrecoveryNZ wrote:
Hi Elish,

Just try what I stated in my previous post about removing the PCB etc. Translator rebuilt is the "m0,2,2,0,0,0,0,22" command.

Well for a start he will not get that far. He has a 7200.12 not a .11, this problem has absolutely nothing to do with the 7200.11 failure.

The advice is simple, if your data is important to you only ever issue a command to the drive that you fully understand. There is no push button fix for this problem - but there are many, type key wait 5 seconds, say good bye to data 'fixes' that you can try.

Putting square wheels on a car won't repair your blown head gasket - so why try?

Pay the pro or resign yourself to losing this one.

PostPosted: July 26th, 2010, 8:09 

granaryloaf wrote:
digitalrecoveryNZ wrote:
Hi Elish,

Just try what I stated in my previous post about removing the PCB etc. Translator rebuilt is the "m0,2,2,0,0,0,0,22" command.

Well for a start he will not get that far. He has a 7200.12 not a .11, this problem has absolutely nothing to do with the 7200.11 failure.

The advice is simple, if your data is important to you only ever issue a command to the drive that you fully understand. There is no push button fix for this problem - but there are many, type key wait 5 seconds, say good bye to data 'fixes' that you can try.

Putting square wheels on a car won't repair your blown head gasket - so why try?

Pay the pro or resign yourself to losing this one.

FYI my drive too was a .12... I was surprised when this fix worked. Another possible solution for this problem could be to perform a password removal via terminal (easiest if you have a PC3000)

PostPosted: July 26th, 2010, 10:57 

Hi digitalrecoveryNZ,

You make very, very, wrong conclusions and you give very, very, very bad advice. Why?
Because you do not know how to interpret terminal output.

You need to study and research much more before before you show off your lack of knowledge.

Possible solutions ? try password removal :mrgreen:

This is like playing computer games with unlimited health renewal? This is what you doing.
Try this , try that - no work - start all over, try again - Ooooppps re-install game. No no no.

In data recovery you sometimes get just one chance and nobody even ACE will give you free health
to start a new game.

PostPosted: July 26th, 2010, 23:03 

coffeebean wrote:
Hi digitalrecoveryNZ,

You make very, very, wrong conclusions and you give very, very, very bad advice. Why?
Because you do not know how to interpret terminal output.

You need to study and research much more before before you show off your lack of knowledge.

Possible solutions ? try password removal :mrgreen:

This is like playing computer games with unlimited health renewal? This is what you doing.
Try this , try that - no work - start all over, try again - Ooooppps re-install game. No no no.

In data recovery you sometimes get just one chance and nobody even ACE will give you free health
to start a new game.

Coffeebean,
That advice about password removal came straight from Ace labs for this problem.
Also this advice I give is non destructive (so long as the commands are typed correctly). I think you just don't like any knowledge leaking out of these forums to people who can use it. All I have seen from you on these forums is moaning and giving useless information that no one could use. Try actually helping people instead of whining like a little girl.
Also stop using those horrible smilies where they are not needed...

PostPosted: July 27th, 2010, 2:56 

digitalrecoveryNZ wrote:
FYI my drive too was a .12... I was surprised when this fix worked. Another possible solution for this problem could be to perform a password removal via terminal (easiest if you have a PC3000)

A .12? Really?

If so, how did you get a terminal prompt? By removing the PCB you say? :roll:

You should only help people if you know what you are talking about. Some of us on here do not hang around waiting for business to present itself and do actually try to help.

It is a difficult thing to try and do knowing that without having the disk in your hands you can never be 100% sure of what the problem is. Sometimes you have to keep quiet, even if you 100% believe in the answer you are giving, if there is reasonable doubt it is better to keep your mouth shut rather than risking somebody's data.

I agree that your suggestion is unlikely to hurt the drive, my point was that he will not get far enough to attempt it anyway because your procedure is the wrong one for this issue - amateur meddling with the terminal on the drive you wish to recover is not a good idea. If you are a pro you should know better than advising somebody to carry out a repair without a proper diagnosis.

PostPosted: July 27th, 2010, 4:29 

digitalrecoveryNZ,

ACE advice can be very wrong at times - ask them how many 5400.6 they have fuxed up.

I like to see people getting help and progressing that's why I respond to your rubbish advice.

If you just listen - you can learn something :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

PostPosted: July 27th, 2010, 8:56 

granaryloaf: Yes it was a .12 with busy error and removing the PCB seemed to give me terminal access much like the .11 problem.
I agree that you can't be 100% sure of a problem until you actually have the drive to examine but I assume the people asking these technical questions are smart enough to know these are only suggestions they attempt at their own risk. I figure if they cared enough about their data they would take it to a pro but either they can't afford the price or don't care enough so they try it themselves, if they stuff it up no major loss... or so I assume.

Coffeebean: If you truly did "like to see people progress" then you would try giving some useful advice instead of berating me.

PostPosted: July 27th, 2010, 19:57 

digitalrecoveryNZ wrote:
granaryloaf: Yes it was a .12 with busy error and removing the PCB seemed to give me terminal access much like the .11 problem.
I agree that you can't be 100% sure of a problem until you actually have the drive to examine but I assume the people asking these technical questions are smart enough to know these are only suggestions they attempt at their own risk. I figure if they cared enough about their data they would take it to a pro but either they can't afford the price or don't care enough so they try it themselves, if they stuff it up no major loss... or so I assume.

Assumptions are dangerous. I pretty safe one would be " I saw that this might save me the cost of recovery so I will try it"
digitalrecoveryNZ wrote:
Coffeebean: If you truly did "like to see people progress" then you would try giving some useful advice instead of berating me.

Just because his advise was not useful to you, does not mean it was not correct.

PostPosted: January 20th, 2011, 9:08 

Hi together,

I have a ST3250318AS here, with same failure: always busy, also if naked PCB will be started, or read channel is shorted in the right moment (I did that several times with success, also in difficult cases, but here I'm not sure, where the failure is located. And I don't want to destroy customer data).

Does anybody have, and can share the solution?
Thanks in advance!

Kind regards,

Thomas

PostPosted: January 21st, 2011, 17:04 

...found root cause: defective sectors in firmware area or weak head / pre amplifier, so disc cannot read firmware completely.

PostPosted: February 10th, 2011, 16:23 

Or is it a broken arm? :lol:

PostPosted: June 14th, 2011, 11:19 

ur problem is pcb

PostPosted: June 14th, 2011, 11:22 

dear zebong ur problem is pcb
u can find any pcb the same family
and ur problem is solved