All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 295 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 15  Next
 Post subject: Re: WD10TMVV
PostPosted: August 29th, 2010, 22:55 

Frank,

We disagree.

The chef makes his livelihood from the information that he has refined from trial and error, and long hours in the kitchen.

If he publishes the recipe to his award-winning cheesecake, any restaurant can add it to their menu. The chef may gain "goodwill" - but on the other side of the balance sheet, at what real expense?

The OP may be skilled enough to use the knowledge successfully to his advantage. Others -- persons unknown -- may try the same and end up destroying their PCB or possibly ruin the chances for data recovery. Knowledge in capable hands is valuable. The same knowledge in incompetent hands usually courts failure if not disaster.

If you are feeling generous, freely dispensing the knowledge that others have gleaned through hard work, then it follows (in my mind, anyway) that you ought to be willing to donate YOUR time to help them when they get stuck or screw up. For the same price (i.e., for "free").

Fair enough??

PostPosted: August 30th, 2010, 4:11 

To suggest that you're withholding information to protect lesser mortals from misusing it is disingenuous, to put it kindly. Others would see it as patronising and condescending. Furthermore, to suggest that I would be in some way responsible for its misuse, as was the case in another thread, is reprehensible.

The "recipe" that I made available is extremely trivial. In fact it took me longer to write about it than to think about it. Furthermore, at least one of your colleagues (drc) agrees.

That said, perhaps the interviewee should now be interviewing the interviewer. Should I entrust my precious data to someone who, in my professional opinion, does not have an appropriate level of understanding of electronics? If determining the SATA pinout involved "trial and error" and "hard work" on your part, then perhaps you'd better get out of the kitchen.

PostPosted: August 30th, 2010, 8:19 

Frank,

You are presumptuous and mistaken.

I have >20 years in component-level repair and design tube amplifier circuits for a hobby. So if you want to challenge my credentials, at least have some facts at your disposal.

I agree with you that making the SATA connection on a PCB is a minor procedure, if you have the skill set and equipment. How many newbees are going to be able to remove and replace the four tiny coupling caps? Or have you not seen the frequent posts to this site where people mangle much larger, "trivial" things like 8-pin ROM ICs trying to transplant them?

So, assuming that you've connected to the PCB, the next steps of the recovery are anything but trivial. Unless the PCB had a bad USB port, invariably the problem is a bad head or corrupted firmware. So now you have cheerfully led the person down the path to a dead end. You should know that without the proper gear, knowledge, and experience, no good can come out of subsequent amateur efforts to recover the data.

My friend, to posture otherwise is disingenuous . . . and doing a real disservice to the public stranger, who rarely knows when to it's wise to give up.

If you want to share info by PM or other exchange, I'm all for that -- assuming that you've qualified the recipient. But to put the info on a PUBLIC forum and imply that anyone can do it, and the people who think its a bad idea are simply greedy and self-serving, is immature and irresponsible.

I have made a lot of posts to this forum, and many of them involve helping out newbees to recover their data. So don't make broad and wrong generalizations about my "ulterior motives" or how this forum is self-serving, etc.

You say that you don't do DR for a living. But the many of us do receive results of amateur efforts to revive drives, and it's usually a struggle or a disaster.

I do stand by my previous statement: if you are going to encourage people to jump in way over their heads, then YOU PERSONALLY should be available to help them back to safety.

PostPosted: August 30th, 2010, 11:36 

About Encrypting.

It is couldn't named encrypting , it's just data transforming without any uniq keys. Its not a Prestigio which need to decrypt on its uniq pattern which lies
in hdd.

Every intelligent engineer quickly find out if will do the usual simple experiment:
He need just take two different hdd from different USB-boxes in which the external controller is present INITIO chip, swapping disks he anyway will see their
data. What does it mean?
In this particular case, to finish it we need connect hdd with full image to external USB-controller with INITIO chip, it's important to read the end of drive
where the MakOS loader is present.

I do not know english well enough, that would be ease free talk here, in fact I can not always understand what people write, especially when they express their emotions.

But I think this info in any case is useless for newbies. They will not be solder or programming.

P.S. Guys, we are not competitors to each other. If we want to progress we need to share information, forum's is creating for this. No sense in any secrecy.

PostPosted: September 1st, 2010, 1:39 

jono-ats wrote:
Frank,

You are presumptuous and mistaken.

You are like a weather vane. You change your position according to the way the wind blows.

At first you said that the information was an important trade secret, gleaned through hard work and much trial and error. Now, after I demonstrated just how trivial it actually is, you agree that it is a minor procedure. So initially your argument was that you were protecting your IP, but now you are saying that you are withholding information to protect lesser qualified people from themselves. ISTM that you are the one who is presumptuous.

In fact it is clear to me that you need to re-examine your real motives and decide just where you stand. You can't have your cheesecake and eat it, too.

At least einstein was honest.

PostPosted: September 1st, 2010, 7:06 

Frank, do you ever wonder how many DIY enthusiasts come here and read all your posts and decide that professional DR is not required and then make some terrible mistakes to lose valuable data? Is it so difficult to understand that some DR processes are very complex?

While you seem to have good understanding of electrical repairs and even some file system knowledge, I am sure many others do not and by attempting DIY for these people are worse off.

I have often helped people here, as have many others, but if I feel a case is not suited for DIY I will not offer my opinions and have the customers best interest in mind while doing so. Do you?

And regarding this thread, the soldering of a SATA data cable is a minor process, but there is much more work involved in getting the data and the entire DR process as a whole for these cases is not a minor process. What use is it to have a SATA bridge on this board if data remains encrypted?

Also, this case is knocking its heads indicating probable mechanical failure so it doesnt really matter what your opinion is, Pro intervention is needed to deal with this heads issue, and the encryption also.

PostPosted: September 1st, 2010, 11:31 

Frank,

Clearly it's pointless trying to reason with you. This will be my last post on this thread.

Don't wrench my words out of context.

In discussions about the USB bypass procedures, the (total) process of actually recovering data from these drive is indeed the product of hard work and "trial and error" if you will. So, posturing aside, Frank: Just how many of these integrated USB drives have you recovered the data from, especially those with bad heads or firmware?

In regards to the SATA connections, I said it was a minor procedure, if you know what you are doing. It is anything but if you don't. "Trivial" is your wording, not mine.

Your verbal gymnastics and gyrations aren't compelling.

I imagine that your goal here is to let everyone know just how smart you are, and I don't doubt that you are intelligent man. However, there wisdom in the ability to tailor advice to suit the recipient, so they don't ruin their chances of data recovery. How wise is it to compel someone to modify their PCB, only to leave them hanging with a 1) possibly ruined PCB; and 2) a drive that is with a voided warranty? They are no closer to their goal.

Not to qualify the capabilities of your listener, while encouraging everyone in the interim, really does the entire community a disservice.

PostPosted: September 1st, 2010, 17:13 

jono-ats wrote:
I imagine that your goal here is to let everyone know just how smart you are ...

My goal is to help as many people as I can. In this thread I have demonstrated that a task that at face value was difficult was in fact trivial. If you believe that required any special intelligence, then perhaps I'm a victim of the Dunning­-Kruger effect.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunning–Kruger_effect

PostPosted: September 2nd, 2010, 2:03 

fzabkar wrote:
My goal is to help as many people as I can. In this thread I have demonstrated that a task that at face value was difficult was in fact trivial.

OK, so lets assume you have helped encourage the starter of this thread to bridge a SATA data cable to his USB interface PCB. What now? You need equipment to make relevant repairs, experience with WD SA/ROM structures, which are not easily available except for within a professional dr firm. Clean facilities are needed, as is access to compatible parts for replacement of internal mechanics.
Also, the data remains encrypted.

In reality, the result is a failed DIY attempt, potential damage to the PCB, one unhappy guy with lost data and a more expensive professional recovery.

Nobody is really better off.

If you really are as smart as you make out to be then you would know this and realise some situations really cannot be solved without pro assistance.

PostPosted: September 3rd, 2010, 16:06 

As i promised few friends of mine here about converting this interface to SATA in order to use it with UDMA or whatever.
just for the info. the file is protected with password, and for the password request am forwarding this GIFT to few people here who knows it.

they will decide as i dedicate this to those who really helped me here alot in this community

Finally, this might/not solve your problem but @ least knowing something new is better than nothing.
and thnx again for you guys here who replied to this thread either by understanding my point of keeping this pinout for the people who really deserve it.

here we go, and sorry am not gonna reply here again on this thread anymore.

tawfeek_mokhtar
hddguy
ppumkin
BlackST

Attachments:
HDD.rar [1.46 MiB]
Downloaded 3861 times

PostPosted: November 18th, 2010, 15:58 

Can someone who is certain about this please verify:
The data on this drive (model WD10TMVV) is encrypted and the encryption key is stored on the green logic/controller board, so replacing the board with one from another drive will not allow the data to be decrypted, because each board has a unique key. True?

I have one of these that spins up and sounds fine, but is not recognized as a USB device. In either Windows or Linux (no messages in log on USB connection, nothing listed for it in output of "lsusb").

I have tried replacing the USB cable with no luck.

PostPosted: November 18th, 2010, 17:16 

If it was so simple... At least if the disk is stolen or lost the mechanism should give 'some' peace of mind. Happy tinkering...

PostPosted: November 18th, 2010, 19:00 

sorry, I forgot at specify that I am talking about one of these drives where I as a user have not set a password. so it is just doing its own transparent encryption without any input from me.

so, in such a case, if it is stolen or lost and in working order, the encryption does not benefit me, because anyone can see the data

given this setup, if the drive controller fails, can i replace it with one from another drive?

PostPosted: December 1st, 2010, 1:39 

Thank you to everyone in here for the replying, like in most forums all users have to learn the power of the search function so no repeat topics are started all the time.

The only thing I have to say about sharing or not sharing a solution is there I guarantee is that many users even with a step by step guide to something will still not attempt the fix. Most service jobs are not done because people cant physically or mentally perform the task but rather that they put a price on their time and it is much better or them to have someone else deal with the issue and they just want to see the outcome.

This WD10TMWVV drive is really messed up with the usb right on the pcb, not really sure why WD would ever do that. Some say it is so that people have to go straight back to them to get service but out of the past 25 clients in the past 4 months I was not able to help and suggested sending it to the manufacturer only 1 person decided to do so. They might get a new drive but most don't care for the unit itself.

This small, portable cases should all come with a variety of ports at least esata and usb and by rule the drive should just have the standard sata/power connector.

I ended up with about 15 drives so far from my previous work, will post all info in a later post (in the appropiate place) in case those parts can be of use to anyone.

The WD10T that I am dealing with right now would not benefit from the sata pinout connection since I am sure it has to be some chip or part of the pcb. Any help would be greatly appreciated. drive lights up, spins, flashes three times but is never recognized by computer.

-One Happy Member-

PostPosted: December 1st, 2010, 12:43 

physh wrote:
This WD10TMWVV drive is really messed up with the usb right on the pcb, not really sure why WD would ever do that. Some say it is so that people have to go straight back to them to get service

Not even that, as they don't provide any kind of service other than replacement

PostPosted: December 16th, 2010, 2:20 

Sorry for my english! I'm Italian!!

I damaged the USB port by pressing the USB cable very strong.

I try to swap the PCB with another disk... but don't work!!

Is there a system to connect the drive via USB bypassing the damaged port or you're forced to turn it into sata?
Repair the micro USB port is very difficult even if I found one.

I need to recover my data!!!

Very thanks!

PostPosted: December 16th, 2010, 4:45 

The easiest solution by far is to replace the USB connector. You can attach it with 4 wires. No need to reattach it directly to the PCB.

PostPosted: December 16th, 2010, 10:11 

Ok.. but is very hard to connect 4 wires at the place of the connector, ... is any other place to get USB signal on the PCB??

Converting in SATA like in image posted in this forum will work?

PostPosted: December 16th, 2010, 19:39 

Converting to SATA will not work -- the data are hardware-encrypted. The Initio bridge chip handles the encryption.

Ask your local TV/AV repair shop to do the soldering for you.

PostPosted: December 29th, 2010, 18:24 

Hey everyone, been studying these posts for an entire week. I hoping someone here can give me a couple of clues.

I've got about 3 years of pics of the grand kids on the drive I would like to recovery. The 1TB WD10EADS-11M2B2 drive was knocked over is some horse play, and the mini-usb connector tore loose from the pcb board. The pcb has the dreaded Initio INIC-1607B chip. I've spent about 10hrs soldering small wires to the pcb, and then soldering to the connector itself. I chose to solder to the mini-usb connector in case there was something proprietary with the connector. I've attached some pics for your viewing pleasure. I was able to determine the following. . . .

1) the four posts are anchoring points and are electrically connected to the ground plane on the pcb.
2. pin info . . . . pin 1 is +vdc, pins 2 and 3 are data, pin 4 doesn't seem to be used between the pcb and the computer (more on this below), pin 5 is ground and has continuity to the four anchoring posts and the ground plane.

Ok, the drive powers up, and the OS (win 7 and also same on winXP pro sp3) recognizes the drive and also the virtual partition. I am able to read and copy the files from the virtual partition to my root main desktop harddrive. However, the main partition does not show up. I have tried Find & Mount, but it could not find the missing partition.

I'm wondering if there is more the electrical connections? When I first inspected the damaged pcb with a 32x diopter, I noted there was a very small copper wire that seemed to be located underneath the mini-usb connector. The wire was about the diameter of a small human hair. I assumed it was something leftover from the fabrication, but the partition does not seem to be recognized and I wondering if there was some use for this wire. Additionally, if you look at pin #4, even though it is not used as part of the usb protocol, there seems to be connectivity thru several resistors (R37, R38) on the pcb. I'm wondering what this is about.

Anyone have any clues as to why the partition is missing, or if i've got 99% of the work done, and I just need to make some final magical connection? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Here are the pics. . .
(ok, i tried to post pics but couldn't get them uploaded, i try again in a little while)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 295 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 15  Next