All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: File copy to Target
PostPosted: March 19th, 2011, 12:46 

On the Atola it is possible to clone your entire drive to the target, clone data area only to the target, but not copy files only to the target.

If the file structure is viewed and files are chosen to copy to a target or other HDD it is not possible to put a formatted HDD on the Target side of Atola and copy files to this target drive.

It would make sence to me that if you just want certain files from a HDD that you should be able to format your target drive such as FAT or NTSF and be able to chose as your target drive the drive that is formatted and attached to the Atola. But you can not chose this HDD you have to chose one from your computer or external USB port.

Atola copying speeds are excellent when cloning a HDD to the target on the tool. But when you only want certain files and to copy them to the HDD on your system this slows down the speed for copying.

It would be nice if we know the file system such as FAT or NTSF that we prepare our target drive and attach this to the target of the devie. After we chose the files we want to move or copy from the sourse HDD we can chose the target in Browse and move the files to the prepared formatted Target Drive.

Is this one possible to add this feature to the tool?

Post subject: Re: File copy to Target
PostPosted: March 19th, 2011, 16:31 

Hi Ann, we have spoken about this matter yesterday.

I bet we do not need to speak about small data quantity which can be
handled in a few minutes with Atola as is its done now. But I would like
to point to a very important point for bigger data quantity:

Besides its a lot of work to implement this feature additionally into the
Atola software the main challange for DR is to get as much data as
possible from the source to a target.

Minimising further harm to the source (if defect but still accessible) is
very, very important. An ongoing stable cloning process sector to sector
from start to end is the best way to do that. Especially when we speak
about big data quantity of a drive. Besides the fact that it might work
to image the "used data areas only" which minimises the amount of
data to be imaged (and the necessary time) enormously.

You want to bypass that - create a new final hdd for the customer
directly from perhaps more than one defect hdd.

I think thats counter productive for the source drive(s). It could cause
more damages having the heads jumping around to read the puzzles
of data from a defect drive.

Any ideas - also from non-Atola-users - on that matter are wellcome !

+++

PostPosted: March 19th, 2011, 18:55 

Hi Falther

But if the selected files are imaged sequencially, the head stress will be the same as if imaging the entire disk, right?
Isn't that what DDI does?

Ann only wants some files, to be faster, right?

PostPosted: March 19th, 2011, 22:23 

To me it is like this. You have a drive you need files off it. You are using the Atola and the drive is on the source. There is no difference to me to format a HDD and put it on the Targe of the Atola and copy over to this one. You put a formatted HDD on your PC now you copy over to this one. The process is long, slow, and takes 10x's longer than if you could just chose a formatted HDD that is attached to the Atola. It is a bottle neck on this one. It is just as simple to add a formatted HDD to the Atola and when it ask to where you want to copy you chose the HDD that is attached to the target port on the Atola. The copy is quick and would be done through the Ethernet port of the device. The way it is now you are using only the source from the Atola and copying to a HDD that is formatted on your system. The process is very long, slow, and woud or could be better handled copying to a Target formatted HDD on the Atola.

What I am talking about is HDD that are +500GB and the files needed off them are around 320+450GB of data. The HDD I am speaking of are not drives in danger with lots of bad sectors on them. They are still readabel, useable HDD that takes forever to move all the data off one drive to another to combine them into one backup drive. Each person who uses the computers are not so neat in their file system and stuff is thrown all over the place. They want a better filing system to do the backups with and do not want to go with RAID, NAS or other storage such as this. They are not big companies and normally have 3 to 4 PC's in their office.

I have here many request where companies have a multiple HDDs that store data on them from different system. They OC will not use a RAID storage on this becasue their companies are small. So each person backs up their HDD to separate drives. To combine all the data together from these multiple drives they would like one storage device instead of a lot of smaller ones. This way they feel they can handle thier data easier.

Do not forget here on the islands people do not think like the rest of the world. They are over 20 years behind in this game and computers have not been here on the islands as long as the rest of the world. So they are not as up to date on this as other parts of the world are.

Not all work is for DR all the time and not all HDD that come in to me are bad and have to be handled in a different way than what I am doing part of the time.

I just see the advantage of the Atola in handling a good drive file system and being able to have a formatted HDD on the target side of the tool and using the Ethernet due to the speed to move files over to the target. Especially if you are given 10 HDD and need to combine them into one drive. That would be ideal that is all I am saying on this one.

I receive a lot of request here to do just that and it is very time consuming and takes a very long time and this would be a great advantage of this tool only if when you browse that it would also include the targe port on the tool and there was already a formatted HDD on the target port.

PostPosted: March 20th, 2011, 7:53 

I dont know whether this is the usual request of pc repair shops and I daubt
its for DR.

Finally its the decision of Atola, if there is really a demand for that feature,
to implement it into its software solution.

At the moment you can clone complete, parts, used data area only
of a source hdd directly (high speed up to over 110MB/sec) to a target
hdd. http://www.atola-europe.com/index.php?p ... -media-map

Files and folders can be copied over the ethernet cable to a hdd within the
PC one is working on with Atola. But I wouldnt do that with big data volume.

+++

PostPosted: March 21st, 2011, 13:43 

Dear Iorana,

I think that slow speed may be related to network issues.

What imaging speed do you have when imaging from source disk to a file?

Sometimes due to network misconfiguration the speed may be very slow. The normal speed should be at least 50 MB/s while imaging from DiskSense Ethernet to a file on the local PC.

Please tell me if that is your case and I will try to assist you how speed can be improved.

Sincerely,