All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please do not post questions about data recovery cases here (use this forum instead). This forum is for topics on finding new ways to recover data. Accessing firmware, writing programs, reading bits off the platter, recovering data from dust...

Post subject: HDD DATA RECOVERY AFTER LOW LEVEL FORMATTING.
PostPosted: May 11th, 2011, 15:59 

Hi all,
I've got a query.After completing low level formatting on an external HDD(500GB) ,Is it possible to recover '.exe files' also using recovery soft ware?.I'll be great ful,if I get a reply as soon as possible.

Tnk u.

Post subject: Re: HDD DATA RECOVERY AFTER LOW LEVEL FORMATTING.
PostPosted: May 11th, 2011, 16:06 

If you mean drive was filled with zeroes, then no, recovery is not possible

PostPosted: May 11th, 2011, 16:08 

What do you mean when said "low level formatting" ? How low it was? What soft have you used for this?

PostPosted: May 15th, 2011, 13:51 

I'm sorry pals!.
On my way to do formating of my external HDD,I got an error msg.mentioning I/O error and formating could not be done.And I tried to format the same with 'linux'.Then I saw there is a new '.exe' file on the hard disk root memory.I guess that's a virus,which hinders the HDD operation.I could not delete that '.exe' file with any of the 'OS'.(LINUX,XP,VISTA,win7).How ever the data are still present in the HDD.But after a while the window gets freezes,until I restart my PC.
I'll be great ful if I get a good solution.

Thanks in advance.

PostPosted: May 17th, 2011, 8:24 

You could try writing zeros to the whole drive using dd in Linux, and then examine the SMART report for reallocated sectors.

PostPosted: May 18th, 2011, 6:59 

@BALAJI.R:

First you said:
BALAJI.R wrote:
After completing low level formatting on an external HDD(500GB) [my emphasis]

Then you said:
BALAJI.R wrote:
On my way to do formating of my external HDD,I got an error msg.mentioning I/O error and formating could not be done. [my emphasis]

This is the opposite to what you first said! So your actual problem/question is really unclear. :(

BALAJI.R wrote:
I guess that's a virus,which hinders the HDD operation.

If you want to overwrite (erase) data from the disk, and you are worried about that possibility of a virus on the disk, you could download a bootable CD (e.g. Western Digital LifeGuard or Seagate Seatools) and then use that utility to erase the whole disk (similar to the suggestion from fzabkar).

BALAJI.R wrote:
I'll be great ful if I get a good solution.

It will help, if you give much clearer, less ambiguous, and more detailed information (e.g. exact error messages), if you request further advice. :)

PostPosted: May 18th, 2011, 10:06 

You can try to wipe the drive with a software like dban.
You can download and install on a usb key, then select the drive and the software will overvrite all the data on the selected hard drive

PostPosted: May 20th, 2011, 5:15 

Hi all,
Thanks for the reply.This msg is especially for 'VULCAN'.Actually I haven't formatted or could not format my external HDD yet.I was curious to know wether '.exe' file recovery is possible with recovery soft ware along with other files after formating the HDD.I heard from my friends that they were able to recover all type of files except '.exe' files,after formating their own HDD.So I wanted to place my query regarding this issue,among you 'experts',since I don't want to lose any of the data from my HDD.
My issue is this.The content in my 500 GB external sea gate HDD could not be run/played.When I try to open the files from my HDD,the window gets frozen up leaving me with only option to shut down my PC for ejecting/disconnecting my HDD.I tried with 'sea gate tool' and other formatting soft wares also(Even windows formatting too).But none of them could be performed,as a msg pops up after initiating the formatting process like,'I/O error'and 'formatting can not be done'.
I have tried formating my HDD in different OS and with high configuration PC's also.When I tried it with 'LINUX',I saw an 'set up.exe' file along with other files in the HDD root memory.And I was able to open the folders also but I haven't tried to run/play any of them,as I wanted to copy all those contents as soon as possible.But again the window page got frozen after a while.I guess that 'set up.exe' file is a virus which hinders all the subsequent operation(How ever I'm not sure about it).

So, all I need is a good solution to resolve this issue.I want all the content back from my HDD.Or as a last resort,I want my HDD to be formatted.Please help.

Thanks again in advance.

Rgds
Balaji.R

PostPosted: May 20th, 2011, 7:15 

BALAJI.R wrote:
This msg is especially for 'VULCAN'.Actually I haven't formatted or could not format my external HDD yet.I was curious to know wether '.exe' file recovery is possible with recovery soft ware along with other files after formating the HDD.I heard from my friends that they were able to recover all type of files except '.exe' files,after formating their own HDD.

Ability to recover files depends on exactly how you format the disk (e.g. Win 7 full format is a complete overwrite and therefore everything in that filesystem is unrecoverable; recovery (not always everything) is possible in some other cases, depending on things like file fragmentation). The exe files are not treated differently than any other type of files. Unfortunately there are not enough details in your post, to understand what problems your "friends" had with recovering their exe files.

BALAJI.R wrote:
So I wanted to place my query regarding this issue,among you 'experts',since I don't want to lose any of the data from my HDD. [my emphasis]

But you also said you were trying to format your disk?! If you want data back from that disk, then do NOT try to format it. Doing that will not help you to recover data from the disk.

BALAJI.R wrote:
My issue is this.The content in my 500 GB external sea gate HDD could not be run/played.When I try to open the files from my HDD,the window gets frozen up leaving me with only option to shut down my PC for ejecting/disconnecting my HDD.I tried with 'sea gate tool' and other formatting soft wares also(Even windows formatting too).But none of them could be performed,as a msg pops up after initiating the formatting process like,'I/O error'and 'formatting can not be done'.

As I said, if you want to recover data from the disk, then formatting it is the wrong procedure.

Your story is still not explained clearly for me, because you are mixing at least 4 questions / issues:
- exe file recovery.
- formatting the disk (you also confuse the issue by using the phrase "low level formatting" sometimes).
- recovering data from the disk.
- computer "freezing" when you try to copy data from the disk.

I think that you are trying to recover data from the disk, and you are becoming confused thinking that formatting the disk will help you - but your real situation is still unclear to me.

BALAJI.R wrote:
I was able to open the folders also but I haven't tried to run/play any of them,as I wanted to copy all those contents as soon as possible.But again the window page got frozen after a while.

If this is what you really want to do, then do not try to format the disk.

If the data is important to you, and because of the communication difficulties that I see in this thread, then I suggest you use a local professional DR company to help you.

If the data is not important, then DIY recovery attempts might be possible (at your risk) e.g. trying to clone that disk as an initial start. However, as I said, with the continuing communication problems, it is still not really clear what you want to achieve, because of contradictory / unclear comments in your posts. Unfortunately I think I am wasting my time trying to help in this thread, so I will stop here and I hope you get help from other members who understand you better than I do. :) Good luck!

PostPosted: May 23rd, 2011, 10:07 

All right Vulcan! Thanks for your tips any way.

PostPosted: August 15th, 2012, 13:34 

Hi

Can someone help me with my HDD issue.

I have attached a screen shot of the status.

Thanks

Attachments:
Doc2.pdf [186.62 KiB]
Downloaded 2035 times

PostPosted: March 3rd, 2017, 5:19 

low level format is format track(50H) in factory, it's will rebuild translator /plist/glist, and also clear the sector data.