All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Successful HDD ATA Master Password Hack
PostPosted: May 31st, 2011, 11:20 

I have manage to unlock the password of any HDD if its compatible with the BIOS error code master password generator.

I tried many tools for the Phoenix Bios and no luck. This is were I found my discovery.

I have a Acer Aspire One with InsydeH20 Bios version 3.50 if I can recall. I found a way to unlock the password of any drive that the HDD ATA password was stored with this certain BIOS.

Whats needed,

Hiren BootCD (usb preferably) 14.0 with BIOS "Master password Generator".
http://www.hirensbootcd.org/download/
The program is only visible if you run and load the HBCD Menu in Mini Windows XP under the password section.

Here you will get a command prompt, were you will enter "7" for InsydeH2O bios. Then it will ask you for the 8 digit code Hash / error code thats given when you insert the wrong password 3 times, and try to unlock it with "Unlock" in the menu . It will tell you to insert the master password and give you a 8 digit Key.

Then, your master password will be given to you. The funny thing is that I noticed once you unlock the drive or a drive that did not unlock, it will give you a new Error Code for the bios.
If you where never able to unlock it, and removed the drive 100 hundred times and inserted it back, it will still generate the same HASH code.

This will work with this "InsydeH2O Bios" 10 out of 10 times, IF YOU HAVE THE PC/LAPTOP and THE DRIVE THAT WAS LOCKED BY InsydeH2O.

Once the master password is inserted, it will erase any security on the drive by the BIOS.
I still have not tried a two different PC/Laptops with Insyde H2O to see if they are interchangeable and unlock-able.

You all might be wondering, What if you do not know what BIOS installed the lock, and tried to unlock it with InsydeH2O? This guy is nuts, password is stored in platters not bios, or is it?

Well for the grand finale, I have a Seagate Momentus 7200.2 Family, and it locked with an ATA password not under MAX. It was locked with Phoenix Bios with my Gateway laptop.

So I tried to unlock it with InsydeH2O, and I get passed the HDD password screen and then I get a "Not a Boot-able Disk error". I have tried many combinations with MHHD, ATAPWD, and Hiren BOOTCD, to try to unlock manually with software but no luck.
I do not know if its the Phoenix BIOS security, or what but I can let you know that IF you have a Laptop that is listed with the "Bios master password generator" and it was locked with your current laptop or PC. You should try the generator. You might get lucky with your own dell/HP or any other manufactures Bios. Phoenix Bios did not work in my case from the selection.

If you all do not trust me, I will create a video on youtube very soon and post it here. I have finally beat the HDD companies! :D

If your having trouble with BIOS password for Phoenix BIOS , 10 out of 10 times this works.
http://www.scribd.com/doc/14167086/acer ... 4330080925

Go to page 49, and start read PW removal. Works on any Phoenix Bios with any laptop.
I tried the HDD Phoenix password removal and no luck with my gateway laptop. Maybe its for older Bios Firmware?
Give it a try with the instructions in the link and the rar file uploaded.

Attachments:
Phoenix Bios master password generator.rar [20.98 KiB]
Downloaded 11967 times

Post subject: Re: Successful HDD ATA Master Password Hack
PostPosted: May 31st, 2011, 12:16 

coralreefcuda08 wrote:
If your having trouble with BIOS password for Phoenix BIOS , 10 out of 10 times this works.

And In 99.9% it's a stolen laptop :evil:

PostPosted: May 31st, 2011, 12:17 

What this means is that this BIOS is not setting what you typed as the ATA password, but some other string that the BIOS is generating internally. The flaw here is not the ATA password, but the algorithm the BIOS is using to generate the ATA password.

PostPosted: June 29th, 2011, 23:28 

This method worked on a netbook i bought on ebay I was pretty shocked that this really worked.

PostPosted: June 30th, 2011, 4:23 

drc wrote:
What this means is that this BIOS is not setting what you typed as the ATA password, but some other string that the BIOS is generating internally. The flaw here is not the ATA password, but the algorithm the BIOS is using to generate the ATA password.

If I lock externally an HDD and put into a laptop with that BIOS will it work ? :mrgreen:
Also works if security = MAX or FROZEN ? :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

PostPosted: July 3rd, 2011, 6:09 

drc wrote:

I wouldn't go so far as to call it an "algorithm".

Anyway, here is how I understand it:
unlocking-ata-password-for-western-digital-t8374-240.html#p130561

Simply put, if you are answering the password challenge from a software application rather than the BIOS of the original laptop, then you will need to send the keyboard scan codes for each key rather than their ASCII values. You can use an application such as Victoria for Windows to do this.