All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 93 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Samsung s2 portable 500gb dead?
PostPosted: January 6th, 2011, 15:14 
Offline

Joined: January 6th, 2011, 12:01
Posts: 1
Location: Philippines
I had the same problem with my Samsung G2... What I did was to use a vise grip near the usb port... and luckily it powered on

here are the screenies:

Image

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Samsung s2 portable 500gb dead?
PostPosted: January 19th, 2011, 17:53 
Offline

Joined: January 19th, 2011, 17:46
Posts: 1
Location: Brazil
e_lm_70, you're the MAN... You save me about US$800, the amount a company here in Brazil charged me to recover the data from my HDD. For those who lost their hope, try exactly what e_lm_70 said above, after a lot of punch, shakes and prays it works fine till now. Regards from Brazil and thanks again. :D :D :D :D


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Samsung s2 portable 500gb dead?
PostPosted: January 28th, 2011, 9:31 
Offline

Joined: January 28th, 2011, 9:25
Posts: 1
Location: Brazil
I got one s2 portable 500gb... it wasnt starting... just playing some sound and shuting down...

i thought..i can´t pay for the fix... so... lets bang!!!

i hit some times... and i could hear the hdd spinning.... but just for a few seconds before stops again.....

so... hit hit hit hit hit and..... worked!!!

lol... thats crazy...

Thanks for all!!

Para os brasileiros: Enfia a porrada com jeito que funciona!!! o meu ficou show!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Samsung s2 portable 500gb dead?
PostPosted: February 2nd, 2011, 5:52 
Offline

Joined: February 2nd, 2011, 5:47
Posts: 1
Location: Rugby, UK
I cannot thank you all enough....or believe it??

A forceful firm while controlled thwack did indeed free the drive. Clearly not the most resilient piece of hardware on the market! :?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Samsung s2 portable 500gb dead?
PostPosted: March 21st, 2011, 1:10 
Offline

Joined: March 21st, 2011, 0:48
Posts: 2
Location: turkey
Hi guys,
Many talks but I didnt see the solid solution yet. Many people having the same problem.. Product is Samsung s2 portable 500gb. After some time, computer does not see the product. Just says usb device not recognised. so I can not see my files? Samsung blue light is on and if I listen, I hear the driver noise but storage doest appears at my computer.. How can I do? Is there anybody solved this problem?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Samsung s2 portable 500gb dead?
PostPosted: March 21st, 2011, 2:46 
Offline

Joined: March 21st, 2011, 0:48
Posts: 2
Location: turkey
alik wrote:
Hi guys,
Many talks but I didnt see the solid solution yet. Many people having the same problem.. Product is Samsung s2 portable 500gb. After some time, computer does not see the product. Just says usb device not recognised. so I can not see my files? Samsung blue light is on and if I listen, I hear the driver noise but storage doest appears at my computer.. How can I do? Is there anybody solved this problem?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Samsung s2 portable 500gb dead?
PostPosted: May 25th, 2011, 22:52 
Offline

Joined: May 25th, 2011, 22:46
Posts: 1
Location: buenos aires
Wow, the PC recognizes the HDD now...my friend and i still cant believe this "Percussive maintenance" worked.

I had to create an account on this forum just to thank you.

You are the man e_lm_70


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Samsung s2 portable 500gb dead?
PostPosted: June 5th, 2011, 2:09 
Offline

Joined: June 5th, 2011, 2:00
Posts: 2
Location: China
And I had to register to say it did not work out for me. S2 640GB, same issue, noise of heads not finding their position (dig, dig, dig, ...). After shaking and following other measures as described, the drive is even making an other noise when moving the device. I think it's gone.

I thought Samsung S2 is a high quality device, but it seems not to be. I used the device at home only, moving it between my laptop and my PS3. Never fallen down, never shocked. I guess it was hanging one time vertically, may be this is what the Samsung does not like.

I hope I still have a chance to claim the warranty. I am afraid there are some shock sensors they may check. Of course after I followed the proposals made in this threat, there were some little "shocks" to the drive. :(


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Samsung s2 portable 500gb dead?
PostPosted: June 5th, 2011, 3:36 
Offline

Joined: July 18th, 2006, 3:05
Posts: 7526
Location: ITALY
manwithcrasheddrive wrote:
And I had to register to say it did not work out for me. S2 640GB, same issue, noise of heads not finding their position (dig, dig, dig, ...). After shaking and following other measures as described, the drive is even making an other noise when moving the device. I think it's gone.

I thought Samsung S2 is a high quality device, but it seems not to be. I used the device at home only, moving it between my laptop and my PS3. Never fallen down, never shocked. I guess it was hanging one time vertically, may be this is what the Samsung does not like.

I hope I still have a chance to claim the warranty. I am afraid there are some shock sensors they may check. Of course after I followed the proposals made in this threat, there were some little "shocks" to the drive. :(


It's months the professionals here say NOT to do it.
It's like banging your head on the wall in case of headache, in the vane hope to "dislodge" the cause inside. Who to blame now ?
What was a perfectly fixable case ended with a maybe unrecoverable drive or - if possible - at a high price - but seems data is not important.
About the warranty , hope that they don't read this forum or they don't check the drive as YES it can be pointed out that the drive suffered from... "external" shock .


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Samsung s2 portable 500gb dead?
PostPosted: June 6th, 2011, 13:18 
Offline

Joined: June 5th, 2011, 2:00
Posts: 2
Location: China
BlackST wrote:
manwithcrasheddrive wrote:
And I had to register to say it did not work out for me. S2 640GB, same issue, noise of heads not finding their position (dig, dig, dig, ...). After shaking and following other measures as described, the drive is even making an other noise when moving the device. I think it's gone.

I thought Samsung S2 is a high quality device, but it seems not to be. I used the device at home only, moving it between my laptop and my PS3. Never fallen down, never shocked. I guess it was hanging one time vertically, may be this is what the Samsung does not like.

I hope I still have a chance to claim the warranty. I am afraid there are some shock sensors they may check. Of course after I followed the proposals made in this threat, there were some little "shocks" to the drive. :(


It's months the professionals here say NOT to do it.
It's like banging your head on the wall in case of headache, in the vane hope to "dislodge" the cause inside. Who to blame now ?
What was a perfectly fixable case ended with a maybe unrecoverable drive or - if possible - at a high price - but seems data is not important.
About the warranty , hope that they don't read this forum or they don't check the drive as YES it can be pointed out that the drive suffered from... "external" shock .


My friend, sure I read all the professional warnings. What do you want to say? I just wanted to tell everybody that there is a risk. Hey, it was worse to try.... ;-)
No, there were no really important data on it. I am professional enough to have a RAID backup system and more to protect my data....

And yes, Samsung can find out, but may be they also found out that there might be a high failure rate of their S2 series....

I bought Samsung before, but after having read this, I will buy other brands for the moments.

Btw, I do not recommend WD Passport Elements USB3.0 if you want to connect it to a PS3 for showing pictures . It does not run on a PS3 without using a USB hub with external power.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Samsung s2 portable 500gb dead?
PostPosted: June 8th, 2011, 7:29 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: September 8th, 2009, 18:21
Posts: 11990
Location: Australia
manwithcrasheddrive wrote:
And I had to register to say it did not work out for me. S2 640GB, same issue, noise of heads not finding their position (dig, dig, dig, ...). After shaking and following other measures as described, the drive is even making an other noise when moving the device. I think it's gone.

If your drive had suffered a head crash, and was making horrible noises, then it would have made no sense to whack it. "Percussive maintenance" is intended to break the adhesion between the heads and platters in cases of stiction. Understandably, the data recovery professionals will only give you two options in such cases -- either send your drive to them, or bin it. Percussive maintenance is a third option, but be aware of the risks.

_________________
A backup a day keeps DR away.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Samsung s2 portable 500gb dead?
PostPosted: August 11th, 2011, 10:51 
Offline

Joined: August 11th, 2011, 10:42
Posts: 1
Location: Johannesburg
paraskave wrote:
I have the same problem with techu.e_lm_70 how did you shock the device on which side was the hdd on when you gave the shock on start-up or on what position should i shock it and how hard would the shock be?So that i can try it myself.we tried to freeze the hdd but to no avail.I have to recover some very important files on it.
Attachment:
DSC05524.JPG
Attachment:
DSC05525.JPG
Attachment:
DSC05526.JPG


Hi paraskave,

I appreciate your photos of the SAMSUNG s2 external HDD. I just bought one with the intention to strip it of its external housing and use it as an internal HDD. Could you kindly let me know how to strip the casing, possibly without breaking it, and confirm or deny if it is a SATA HDD which can be used as an internal HDD in a Laptop?

Thank You

Christoph


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Samsung s2 portable 500gb dead?
PostPosted: August 18th, 2011, 7:02 
Offline

Joined: August 18th, 2011, 6:58
Posts: 1
Location: Oman- Muscat
HI I HAVE A SAMSUNG S2 PORTABLE 320 GB ! AND OUT OF NO WHERE IT JUST STOPS WORKING... SAYS PLEASE FORMAT.. ! HOWEVER I DID NOT FORMAT AS THERE ARE LOTS OF IMPORTANT FILES ON IT.. :( .. ! I TRIED THE SHAKING AND MOVING METHOD IN THIS THREAD BUT IT DID NOT WORK.. I TRIED A LOT.. IN ANGER I GAVE IT ONE OR TWO HARD PUNCHES TOO ;) ! BUT NOTHING AT ALL :'( ! ANY DIFFERENT OR FURTHER SUGGESTIONS ? IS THERE ANY TECHNOLOGY BY WHICH DATA CAN BE RECOVERED ?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Samsung s2 portable 500gb dead?
PostPosted: August 18th, 2011, 8:44 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: May 3rd, 2011, 9:52
Posts: 178
Location: France
CAPS LOCK is not usefull here !

_________________
Lemmy


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Samsung s2 portable 500gb dead?
PostPosted: August 18th, 2011, 14:10 
Offline

Joined: June 27th, 2006, 11:33
Posts: 2331
Location: In ur HDD !
@liverpool.parth ,

Dont punch your drive these drives are pretty sensitive handle with care or you will end up in a bigger mess .

Contact a pro .


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Samsung s2 portable 500gb dead?
PostPosted: September 12th, 2011, 12:09 
Offline

Joined: September 12th, 2011, 12:03
Posts: 1
Location: singapore
My USB connector to the Samsung S2 portable 250 GB HDD broke.

Initially, I had thought the connection was lose after frequent usage; however, I realized after prying open to outer casing that the connector to the HDD has come off totally -- the soldering just snapped.

My friend tried soldering it back and it worked for a moment, but thereafter the connection broke again.

Does anyone know where I could get a replacement board for the HDD, as the Samsung S2 is designed slightly differently from other HDD -- merely changing the outer casing does not work.

My four years of data is stuck inside and I know it is still intact, just that the "entrance" to it is broken.

HELP!!!

chialiang@yahoo.com


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Samsung s2 portable 500gb dead?
PostPosted: September 29th, 2011, 11:55 
Offline

Joined: September 29th, 2011, 11:31
Posts: 1
Location: Philippines
tnx e_lm_70, it worked well for me.,
though i banged it on wrong directions 5x, i eventually figured it out.,
did it by banging it to the left with the light away from me.,


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Samsung s2 portable 500gb dead?
PostPosted: November 29th, 2011, 23:55 
Offline

Joined: November 29th, 2011, 23:18
Posts: 1
Location: MALAYSIA
paraskave wrote:
I have the same problem with techu.e_lm_70 how did you shock the device on which side was the hdd on when you gave the shock on start-up or on what position should i shock it and how hard would the shock be?So that i can try it myself.we tried to freeze the hdd but to no avail.I have to recover some very important files on it.
Attachment:
DSC05524.JPG
Attachment:
DSC05525.JPG
Attachment:
DSC05526.JPG


Hi guys,
well im new here, im looking 4 help 4 my s2 500g exhdd.. the reason my hdd i dead because i somehow accidentally broke the port in side the case. i don't know how to repair this. i hv been asking 4 help from computer tech guys across the street but the only answer i get is 'its glued dead, cant un-case to see the problem inside'. They say somehow i broke the port away from the circuit board inside the casing. but this guy paraskave somehow manage to un-case it somehow. can some1 help?? plss


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Samsung s2 portable 500gb dead?
PostPosted: December 2nd, 2011, 9:21 
Offline

Joined: December 2nd, 2011, 9:09
Posts: 1
Location: Britain
e_lm_70 - Thanks you so much can’t believe that actually worked, Just recovered about 5 years’ worth of photo’s. The method that worked for me was to plug the usb in to my p.c. and as the HD started up, I held the HD flat in my left hand with the lead and light facing me and hit the right side twice, within 5 seconds it had been recognised.

Just signed u to say thanks.
:D


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Samsung s2 portable 500gb dead?
PostPosted: May 3rd, 2012, 10:21 
Offline

Joined: May 3rd, 2012, 10:17
Posts: 1
Location: Singapore
e_lm_70 wrote:
paraskave wrote:
I have the same problem with techu.e_lm_70 how did you shock the device on which side was the hdd on when you gave the shock on start-up or on what position should i shock it and how hard would the shock be?So that i can try it myself.we tried to freeze the hdd but to no avail.I have to recover some very important files on it.
Attachment:
DSC05524.JPG
Attachment:
DSC05525.JPG
Attachment:
DSC05526.JPG


Hi

Sorry for late reply ... I don't check this site very often ...

Anyhow ... as somebody reply before ... be advised that you can make more mess then recovery in this action ... so ... it is up to you ... in my case I did not care much about louse the warranty ... and I did know that it would have been complicated and expensive for me find a different way to recover data ...

So ... this is exactly what I did ... honestly I dont remember the exact direction I did use for "shock" my HD .. but this is how I did:
- I was keeping it in one hand, and immediately after plug the usb for power it up ... I did move the hand with my HD to hit my other hand that was still ... making around 20-30cm movement with my hand with the HD on it ... so the shock was not too hard
- The movement direction was keeping the HD flat ... so the show was only in the horizontal direction ... you don't want to shock the HD up/down ... you just want it to move horizontal ... in the same direction that the head of the HD is allowed to move


------
| |
| |
| | ---->
| |
| |
------

So In case the above skema direction help ... this is the direction of the movement ...

Good luck

e_lm_70

ps: I'm using my HD since then without any problem ... not a single sector was find damage ... now I just take care more to don't make it to move at all while I'm using it.


I just fixed my samsung s2 portable 320GB HD with this method and saved almost $1000 for recovery service. Kudos to you :D

Just to note: At first attempt, hitting the HD didn't cause any effect. I unplugged it and re-plugged it. Hit it again (immediately after I felt it vibrated in my hand) and voila! My computer detects it :d


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 93 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], hddrekt and 25 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group