All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: DIY Clean Box
PostPosted: December 13th, 2011, 21:32 

cat1x, thanks. No, I haven't measured particle count but suspect it would be quite high, primarily because of all the rough finishes on the cut-outs and the filter end-plate. Over time, I suspect the particle count would diminish to an acceptable level as the residue is flushed out with use. If I were still keen, I'd do a better job finishing up the front flap for a better fit, replace the filter assembly with a HEPA air purifier and flexible aluminum ducting, and add an air diffusion plenum beneath the inlet.

For a while, I was tempted to buy the Dylos unit I mentioned above, but couldn't justify the expense.

PostPosted: August 9th, 2014, 9:18 

For those interested in a DIY clean box/chamber, I recently posted an update on the status of my clean chamber project on The HDD Oracle: http://malthus.zapto.org/viewtopic.php? ... 4375#p4372

There are still things to be done, like installing a tool rack so my tools aren't scattered all over the place like that, and improving the volume/speed of airflow with a more powerful/supplementary fan, or replacing the whole filter assembly with a larger rectangular filter mounted to the back of the tote.

Larry

PostPosted: August 10th, 2014, 10:12 

(another revived 2+ year old thread... how strange...)

Would be nice to know the real disaster count and/or recoverability increase using such equipment. Naturally and unfortunately independent and certified survey of the processes and data is unavailable.... :mrgreen:

P.S. What's worst : if you are really good at it and the case falls in a certain category, a cleanroom can be one of the last things you can need. Depends on you.

PostPosted: August 10th, 2014, 13:52 

BlackST wrote:
(another revived 2+ year old thread... how strange...)

Not strange at all. I did it purposely, because it's an update.

Quote:
Would be nice to know the real disaster count and/or recoverability increase using such equipment. Naturally and unfortunately independent and certified survey of the processes and data is unavailable.... :mrgreen:

Would be good to know? Why? So you can mock and ridicule one's efforts to learn, even if it means failures and making mistakes in the process?

Quote:
P.S. What's worst : if you are really good at it and the case falls in a certain category, a cleanroom can be one of the last things you can need. Depends on you.

I'm trying to prepare myself to deal with laptop and portable drives that get bumped/dropped and have head damage. I know some will have media damage that I will not be able to deal with. My focus is on non-commercial clients, who can't/won't pay the rates charged by most DR pros. The low volume of such business means commercial benches are not feasible for me, hence the need to be innovative and resourceful.

It seems to me that you are always condescending and arrogant with those who come here to learn/share, rather than helpful. It's a shame, because I believe you could be very helpful and a positive influence, if you'd just obtained treatment for your personality disorder and pry that bug from your arse.

PostPosted: August 10th, 2014, 14:09 

LarrySabo wrote:
It seems to me that you are always condescending and arrogant with those who come here to learn/share, rather than helpful. It's a shame, because I believe you could be very helpful and a positive influence, if you'd just obtained treatment for your personality disorder and pry that bug from your arse.

I confirm it, and many other people, i'm sure!
:(

PostPosted: August 10th, 2014, 15:00 

hey Larry, don't give up with your project just because some people say is not good or not possible.
I like your project and i think is interesting!
:)

PostPosted: August 10th, 2014, 15:07 

michael chiklis wrote:
hey Larry, don't give up with your project just because some people say is not good or not possible.

Thanks for the encouragement, Michael. I have no intention of giving up on it. I've removed and re-installed heads on a number of drives without killing them. One even had fewer slow sectors afterwards than it had originally, according to HDDScan. Mind you, I also have a pile of a dozen or so "scrap" drives that I have mangled the heads on, but the destruction rate is diminishing. :)

PostPosted: August 10th, 2014, 16:02 

michael chiklis wrote:

Ditto.

PostPosted: August 10th, 2014, 18:34 

I actually built a flow hood just like you did, however using a different filter and blower design. I also went ahead and purchased a Dylos unit and have been very pleased with the results. I consistently get particle counts of < 100 for size greater than 5 micron and in the 200-300 range for size less than or equal to 5 micron. Not quite Class 100, but it does the job. Good job Larry.

PostPosted: August 10th, 2014, 19:32 

Thanks, PeskyBit. Very good to know you got such good results. I'd love to see pictures of your chamber, and those of anyone else who has built a DIY clean box/chamber.

I'd love to know what my particle count is. The packaging of the filter I'm using reads: "The RIDGID 5-Layer replacement allergen filter is made from HEPA-rated material and removes 99.97% of all particles .3 microns and larger from the air." and "Filter made with HEPA-rated material but does not meet EPA or RRP guidelines for certified HEPA filtration." That should be good enough for what I'm doing.

Cheers, Larry

PostPosted: August 11th, 2014, 2:20 

About personality, mine is perfect and most important, UNIQUE and ONE ONLY.

P.S. If you feel attacked and react that way, it's not me having problems.

PostPosted: August 11th, 2014, 8:39 

Hai 7454 messaggi inviati, ma non ne ho mai letto uno da parte tua che dicesse agli altri utenti nel forum cose del tipo:
1) Bravo, sono contento che sei riuscito a recuperare i tuoi dati.
2) Nonostante l'impegno e le buone idee da parte tua mi dispiace che non sei riuscito a recuperare i dati.

Insomma, quando qualcuno ha successo tu non scrivi alcun commento positivo, ma non perdi tempo nel rispondere negativamente a coloro che ancora hanno bisogno di un consiglio.

Le uniche tuo frasi che leggo sempre sono:
1) Pessima idea, io non farei questo e quell'altro (senza però spiegare realmente come faresti)
2) Prese in giro e analogie spassose ma che irritano coloro che cercano una soluzione :roll:

Dovresti essere più costruttivo!
Non è la prima volta che te lo dico...

PostPosted: August 11th, 2014, 9:45 

E quindi ?
So what ?

Forse non li hai letti tutti o li leggete dalla parte sbagliata :mrgreen:
Eithe you didn't read them all or you read them the wrong way :mrgreen:

In ogni caso esprimo il mio pensiero che non necessariamente coincide con le aspettative, generalmente motivato e con le possibili conseguenze e non so che farci se non vi piace. Fine.
In any case that's my statement, that could or not fulfill expectations, usually with a reason and possible consequences - like it or not. Period.

PostPosted: August 14th, 2014, 22:27 

I’ve been practicing head assembly removal and re-installation in my clean chamber and I’m pleased with the effectiveness of the chamber and my progress. Below are HDDScan results (before on the right, after on the left) of a drive where the drive had fewer slow sectors after than before the RnR (removal and re-installation). I've had that happen on other drives, too. Granted, it’s a drive with low density platters but it’s encouraging. When I can get my hands on some higher density drives, I’ll see if perhaps I was just lucky.

I should receive the higher powered centrifugal-design fan tomorrow, so I'm keen to see if it improves the airflow substantially. It's only the 4" model, so it may be too small (underpowered).

Toshiba 250GB 2.5" drive:

PostPosted: August 14th, 2014, 22:39 

Nice work, and didn't take you too long to do the RnR .

Stop it or you are going to encourage me to start playing with HDDs a b it more!! ;)

PostPosted: August 14th, 2014, 23:42 

Yes, nice work.
Let us know if the new centrifugal fan gives you good result also on higher density drives, i also would like to know how much noisy is the new fan :D

PostPosted: August 15th, 2014, 10:32 

Thanks, HaQue and Michael. Much of the time between images was taken to do the HDDScan and a lunch break. The RnR only took about 20-30 minutes, however, it was an easy drive to work on. Here are results of an RnR on a 750GB WD drive, where I didn't do a complete scan because of the time it takes. Nevertheless, it, too, had fewer slow sectors after the RnR than before for the sectors that were scanned. I'm still waiting for the new fan to arrive and will try to make a video to capture the sound level, once I set it set up.

PostPosted: August 28th, 2014, 5:06 

Larry, you are doing a great job and there are tons of people out there who are learning from your experiences.

Keep up the good work!

P.S. Provide a link to your friend who helped supply/construct your vision.

PostPosted: August 28th, 2014, 9:19 

Thanks, toneee. I thought I had posted the link in the original article I cited elsewhere, but I can't find it. So, here it is: http://makezine.com/2010/03/08/diy-clea ... n-a-budget.

BTW, I tried two 150mm fans stacked on top and the airfow did not appear to improve much. My next step in this saga, was going to be to add a 12"x16"x1" Fellowes filter of the same effectiveness to the back of the chamber and dispense with the Rigid filter. It would be such an ugly hack that I think I would be embarrassed by it, so I've been thinking of replacing the entire chamber. Below is a sketch of one candidate that closely matches the volume and dimensions of the current chamber. My apologies for the poor scan; it's just a pencil sketch and has poor contrast. I'll prepare a better drawing if I decide to decide to actually make it.

PostPosted: November 10th, 2014, 10:52 

Hello, i did some research on low cost clean bench, you can now have one for 350€:
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Dismount ... 40383.html