All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 295 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 15  Next
 Post subject: Re: WD10TMVV
PostPosted: April 8th, 2012, 17:53 

BTW your logic board looks exactly the same as mine to me.

PostPosted: April 9th, 2012, 0:05 

ciccillover wrote:
This might be because of inverted D+ and D-. A long time ago I was building a desktop PC, and I accidentally exchanged the two lines on the motherboard pin header for the front USB ports of an ATX chassis. No matter what I plugged in those ports, it would be detected as unknown device. So make sure that your wiring is correct.

Well,
Inverting These do not hurt that much but inverting the gnd and power supply lines do :mrgreen:

Website-> http://www.chandigarhdatarecovery.com

PostPosted: April 9th, 2012, 1:07 

ciccillover wrote:
BTW, I'm looking for a replacement PCB that is SATA only, without the USB stuff onboard.

There is a Scorpio SATA PCB #2060-771672-004 REV A that has a Marvell 88i9045-TFJ2 MCU and an SH6601AF motor controller.

It might be worth looking into.

PostPosted: April 9th, 2012, 2:40 

Amarbir wrote:
Well,
Inverting These do not hurt that much but inverting the gnd and power supply lines do :mrgreen:

Of course it does, but in one of my previous posts I wrote:
ciccillover wrote:
The spots I pointed for GND and +5VDC are right indeed (at least for my HD), as I have already tried powering the drive from there. My doubt was about D+ and D-.

PostPosted: April 9th, 2012, 2:41 

fzabkar wrote:
ciccillover wrote:
BTW, I'm looking for a replacement PCB that is SATA only, without the USB stuff onboard.

There is a Scorpio SATA PCB #2060-771672-004 REV A that has a Marvell 88i9045-TFJ2 MCU and an SH6601AF motor controller.

Thanks for the tip!

PostPosted: April 9th, 2012, 5:59 

fzabkar wrote:
ciccillover wrote:

Franc ,
There was a post of replacement pcb like this cannot seem to find it

Website-> http://www.chandigarhdatarecovery.com

PostPosted: April 9th, 2012, 11:31 

Thanks for the help again guys,

fzabkar, i'm going to replace my PCB with a donor one. Seems like the only way i'll be able to get my very important data :(

I've attached another image, hopefully more clear. What i would like to know is which chip(s) exactly i would need to transfer from patient to donor. I read earlier on in the post that we should swap U14 and U12. However, my board only has U14. Would this be the only chip that i would need to swap?

I was really hoping it was only a USB connector issue, but unfortunately it seems worse :(

Thanks again!

Attachments:
IMG_2046.JPG
IMG_2046.JPG [ 2.45 MiB | Viewed 17239 times ]

PostPosted: April 9th, 2012, 17:09 

Normally you would transfer U12. This would account for the "adaptive" information for the HDD. You would then have access to your data. However, if the data appear as gibberish, then you would need to transfer U14 as well. This chip handles the hardware encryption.

Unfortunately in your case U12 is vacant, so the adaptive data are internal to the Marvell 88i8946-TFJ2 MCU. :-(

One way to determine whether the Initio bridge chip has sanity would be to desolder the data or clock pins from U14. This will make the bridge believe that there is no external EEPROM, in which case it will identify itself as a Default Initio Controller.

You will then be able to see an Initio device in UVCView's output:
http://www.users.on.net/~fzabkar/USB_ID ... ew.x86.exe

You should be able to find a datasheet (and pinout diagram) for your U14 component in my IC database:
http://www.users.on.net/~fzabkar/HDD/HD ... Flash.html

PostPosted: April 9th, 2012, 17:19 

Amarbir wrote:
Franc ,
There was a post of replacement pcb like this cannot seem to find it

There were these ...
marvell-pcb-alternatives-t21621.html
few-questions-plz-about-families-pcb-t21338.html

PostPosted: April 10th, 2012, 4:15 

fzabkar wrote:
Normally you would transfer U12. This would account for the "adaptive" information for the HDD. You would then have access to your data. However, if the data appear as gibberish, then you would need to transfer U14 as well. This chip handles the hardware encryption.

Unfortunately in your case U12 is vacant, so the adaptive data are internal to the Marvell 88i8946-TFJ2 MCU. :-(

So from what you are saying, there is actually no way i'll be able to recover this data by trying to use a donor board. I don't think it would be possible to move the Marvell chip over to the new donor board :(

Thanks

PostPosted: April 10th, 2012, 7:55 

Also, while running UVCView i'm able to see it come up but with "FailedEnumeration". Does that mean that the controller and everything is OK? Perhaps i just have the D- and D+ wrong?

PostPosted: April 10th, 2012, 9:41 

garymon wrote:
Also, while running UVCView i'm able to see it come up but with "FailedEnumeration". Does that mean that the controller and everything is OK? Perhaps i just have the D- and D+ wrong?

I don't know exactly what it means, but obviously Windows is unable to identify the device.

AIUI, the USB host controller (on the PC side) detects that a USB device is present by sensing resistances on the D+ and D- pins. It then attempts to identify (enumerate) the device.

As Amarbir has said, you won't do any damage by interchanging these two pins.

PostPosted: April 10th, 2012, 15:51 

Well i would just like to say thank you to Franc and ciccillover. You have helped me tremendously. I've learned a lot and with persistence and determination for 1 week, I'm happy to finally say that i was able to recover my irreplaceable data!!!!!

Just to recap. The issue as i suspected from the beginning was a faulty USB connector to the main board. The main symptom was that the drive would never mount (only once, with a bit of force) however the drive would get power and spin up and it didn't sound as if it had any internal issues. I ended up removing the mini-USB connector from the main board (thinking i would solder the USB cables in the same spot, bad idea) then attempted to locate the USB pins on the back of the PCB myself. With the help of ciccillover i was able to know for sure the 5+ volt and GND pins. As for the D+ and D-, i had to search for them myself with a bit of trial and error, I found them with a bit of luck!

I've attatched an image of my PCB (WD1T0MVV-11A27S2, 2060-701675-001 REV P1), which is a 1TB Western Digital Passport SE. If anyone has this exact drive model the pins i marked should work for you. Thankfully i was able to go this route since this PCB has an encryption chip on it. It would have been a complete nightmare or almost impossible trying to replace the PCB due to this!

Anyway, i'll recommend to everyone else to bypass the USB connector by going directly to the main board, before attempting a PCB replacement or converting to an SATA drive, if you suspect a faulty USB connector, as it seems this is the majority of everyone's issue.

Last but not least, this is the last time i will purchase one of these good for nothing drives! I highly advise everyone else to avoid these things, you could be in a very unfortunate situation where you risk losing a lot of important, meaningful data. I can't wait to go smash this thing with a hammer!!

Thanks again guys!!

Attachments:
WD10TMVV-11A27S2.jpg
WD10TMVV-11A27S2.jpg [ 2.3 MiB | Viewed 17190 times ]

PostPosted: April 11th, 2012, 3:56 

So good! :)

PostPosted: April 19th, 2012, 14:49 

hi guys. we seem to have the same issue here. hdd wd10tmvv 11bg7s0. the device is going on but is not recognised by the computer. we just want to rescue the data. we tried to connect the pins directly as marked by garymon but nothing happens.

@garymon how do you know about the pins? was it a try and error approach or is there a way, a specification where i can find the pins for my hdd to?

any help is much appreciated!

PostPosted: April 19th, 2012, 15:14 

we just were able to get the computer recognise the hdd. it tries and installs drivers, saying the device is ready to use, but it doesn't appear as a partition. also this happens only once in a while.

PostPosted: June 7th, 2012, 2:53 

Hi garymon,

I have the same issue with this drive - the pcb stopped connecting to my pc... I bought another new drive (500GB) thinking that I can transfer its usb board to the old 1TB drive, but it appears that the new drive has newer board revision and the layout of some components and location of connectors changed, so I can't really couple them...
Could you explain please how to use the connectors which you identified in your pictures to bypass the usb port?
To which cable should they be connected? USB2.0?

Thanks so much!
Igor

PostPosted: June 11th, 2012, 10:16 

I have this drive too but I am pretty sure the INIC-1607E chip died. I am sure because there was a short circuit in the connector that made the plastic deform. I changed the connector and checked D+ and D- for continuity to the chip. The drive spins up but it is not recognized and shows up as unknown device. I also tried disconecting the data and/or clock pins from the U14 eeprom chip but there is no difference. I guess the D+ or D- line contacted Vcc somehow burning the chip.

So my question is:
Can I just exchange the 1607E chip and make it work? I have the skills and the equipment to do it but I don't have a spare chip and can't seem to find one.

I do not care about the data, I just want to make it usable again and avoid tossing it.

Thank you!

PostPosted: June 15th, 2012, 9:35 

thanks to garymon, the same was with mine WD passport(WDBABM0010BBK). "USB not recognized" and so on, i took other usb cable, but it didn't helped. I swiched usb cable as shown in garymon photo, and i got my data (old photos) back. Thanks, and cheers!

Attachments:
File comment: alternative to micro usb connection
photo.JPG
photo.JPG [ 543.36 KiB | Viewed 16886 times ]

PostPosted: June 18th, 2012, 18:33 

garymon wrote:
Well i would just like to say thank you to Franc and ciccillover. You have helped me tremendously. I've learned a lot and with persistence and determination for 1 week, I'm happy to finally say that i was able to recover my irreplaceable data!!!!!

Just to recap. The issue as i suspected from the beginning was a faulty USB connector to the main board. The main symptom was that the drive would never mount (only once, with a bit of force) however the drive would get power and spin up and it didn't sound as if it had any internal issues. I ended up removing the mini-USB connector from the main board (thinking i would solder the USB cables in the same spot, bad idea) then attempted to locate the USB pins on the back of the PCB myself. With the help of ciccillover i was able to know for sure the 5+ volt and GND pins. As for the D+ and D-, i had to search for them myself with a bit of trial and error, I found them with a bit of luck!

I've attatched an image of my PCB (WD1T0MVV-11A27S2, 2060-701675-001 REV P1), which is a 1TB Western Digital Passport SE. If anyone has this exact drive model the pins i marked should work for you. Thankfully i was able to go this route since this PCB has an encryption chip on it. It would have been a complete nightmare or almost impossible trying to replace the PCB due to this!

Anyway, i'll recommend to everyone else to bypass the USB connector by going directly to the main board, before attempting a PCB replacement or converting to an SATA drive, if you suspect a faulty USB connector, as it seems this is the majority of everyone's issue.

Last but not least, this is the last time i will purchase one of these good for nothing drives! I highly advise everyone else to avoid these things, you could be in a very unfortunate situation where you risk losing a lot of important, meaningful data. I can't wait to go smash this thing with a hammer!!

Thanks again guys!!

I have just been testing the same idea with the WD Passport Essentials USB3 500Gb & 1Tb 2060-771761-001 REV A

Attachment:
image.jpeg
image.jpeg [ 2.17 MiB | Viewed 16855 times ]

To find the pcb connections I just cut the usb end off the cable that goes to the pc & then plugged it in to the usb drive & tested continuity from the usb wires which i stripped to the connections points on the pcb.

Red = 5v
Black = Ground
Green = D+
White = D-

Just got to practice soldering the little buggers :lol:

Loki

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 295 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 15  Next