All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: A strange problem with WD3200JS-00PDB0
PostPosted: June 4th, 2012, 3:38 

WD3200JS-00PDB0 (Raider) perfect on reading tests, but writing speed is about 100 times lower than normal !!! All modules are readable and checksums are OK. Translator regeneration takes much, much time...

Any ideas ? :roll:

Post subject: Re: A strange problem with WD3200JS-00PDB0
PostPosted: June 4th, 2012, 4:05 

Hi

Did you try to change the PCB?....I've had a HAWK disk with very slow speed on writing and after changing the PCB (701335) all speeds were return to normal (read and write)....Also it could be one or more dirty/weak write heads that could give such behavior......

Rgds

PostPosted: June 4th, 2012, 4:22 

ccc wrote:
Hi

Did you try to change the PCB?....I've had a HAWK disk with very slow speed on writing and after changing the PCB (701335) all speeds were return to normal (read and write)....Also it could be one or more dirty/weak write heads that could give such behavior......

Rgds

The heads are fine, but the PCB ( the Flash chip) could be not the original. I've bought a lot of such drives from a computer company and they may have interchanged some of the PCB's...
Can you tell me how to match a HDA with its native PCB (or ROM)?

PostPosted: June 4th, 2012, 4:36 

Hi

Because it's Marvell family I think it will be very hard to find a perfect match PCB and also you can't regenerate the ROM from SA ....Of course you can find a match PCB for reading but, to be a complete match, the user and SA adaptives must be recalculated which means only selfscan is the way to do it.....

Rgds

PostPosted: June 4th, 2012, 4:48 

ccc wrote:
Hi

Because it's Marvell family I think it will be very hard to find a perfect match PCB and also you can't regenerate the ROM from SA ....Of course you can find a match PCB for reading but, to be a complete match, the user and SA adaptives must be recalculated which means only selfscan is the way to do it.....

Rgds

Most likely I've got the native PCB, but it is on a wrong HDA. Should I match mod 47 with the respective part of the ROM or something else?

PostPosted: June 4th, 2012, 6:34 

Native PCB means it must be a perfect match, means correct read/write adaptives for THAT HDA, which in your case it is'nt because you have writing problems probably because of wrong adaptives .....That is a native PCB....Your only chance is to try several PCBs on one HDA and hope you'll find the original one...Without original PCB that's no way to make it work correctly....
Mod 47 is part of the ROM so I don't understand what part you want to match.....

Rgds

PostPosted: June 4th, 2012, 9:18 

In the case of a ROYL drive mod47 (part of the ROM) matches mod0103 (part of the SA). Since I can read both of them I can decide which ROM (or PCB) match my HDA. Is there something similar for a Marvel drive?

PostPosted: June 4th, 2012, 9:35 

That's what I have tried to explain to you ...NO, only Royl have that feature.....

PostPosted: June 6th, 2012, 1:55 

ccc wrote:
Your only chance is to try several PCBs on one HDA and hope you'll find the original one.

You can narrow down the search by comparing the manufacturing date of the HDA against the YWW or YYWW date codes on the chips.

PostPosted: June 6th, 2012, 14:11 

Another drive from the lot had a burn PCB. After replacing the PCB with good one and transfering the flash chip (U12) it showed the same problem - perfect reading and very slow writing . In this case the ROM is native, no doubts.

Any other ideas?