Tools for hard drive diagnostics, repair, and data recovery
Post a reply

Re: New version of R-Studio

June 13th, 2012, 6:39

lcoughey wrote:It does support this, but it is a lot of manual work. It would be nice for R-Studio to add an extra line for the number of delayed parity blocks, to help speed up the process.

Looks like this is something like I described in Working with Advanced RAID 5 Layouts. As a temporal solution, I recommend using a Description File Description Files for RAID Configurations. It's still a lot of manual work, but at least when you make a mistake, you don't need to redo everything from the beginning.

June 16th, 2012, 10:16

A new version of R-Studio for Mac is released. Now our Mac users enjoy the same functionality as our Windows ones do. Read more.

New version of R-Studio

June 20th, 2012, 12:13

And at last here comes our new version of R-Studio for Linux. Now our Linux users also enjoy the same functionality as our Windows ones do. Read more.

June 21st, 2012, 3:45

R-Studio needs better time out controls or maybe an advanced panel for DR people. I see these posts on here for newer versions but I doubt many DR people actually use this software due to its limitations.

June 21st, 2012, 13:29

I think from that point when they signed agreement (or sold :roll: ) to Seagate , bosses won't allow to do r-studio more advanced than it became . Only for end customers. It is not so hard to improve it even to xfs , nfs ,vmfs, zfs etc.
It is beginning of the end. :oops:
Other commercial products are already ahead of its functionality.

June 22nd, 2012, 5:34

DR-Kiev wrote:Other commercial products are already ahead of its functionality.

Can you name a few, except file systems?

June 22nd, 2012, 5:57

DMDE (NTFS, FAT16/32, EXT2/3, RAID).

June 22nd, 2012, 7:05

thatdellguy wrote:DMDE (NTFS, FAT16/32, EXT2/3, RAID).

Can you name features in DMDE important to you that R-Studio lacks?

June 22nd, 2012, 7:58

Alt(R-TT) wrote:
DR-Kiev wrote:Can you name a few, except file systems?

Too much to name.
Very small part of them:
Attachments
5.JPG
4.JPG
3.jpg
2.jpg
1.JPG

June 22nd, 2012, 8:39

The only thing I see is Files -> Synchronize & Compare.
RAIDs with parity is on the way, you already can open a file as a disk image. And I don't quite understand what "Assemble a disk from a set of files" means.

June 22nd, 2012, 8:43

Alt(R-TT) wrote:

Why not name file systems? Are there no plans to add additionsl support, or it is planned already?

June 22nd, 2012, 8:49

hddguy wrote:
Alt(R-TT) wrote:

Why not name file systems? Are there no plans to add additionsl support, or it is planned already?

Wouldn't go into details,but they're planned, of course.
I quite agree that they should be added to R-Studio.
Which one you prefer?

June 22nd, 2012, 8:56

Alt(R-TT) wrote:The only thing I see is Files -> Synchronize & Compare.
RAIDs with parity is on the way, you already can open a file as a disk image. And I don't quite understand what "Assemble a disk from a set of files" means.

I think you are mistaken
R-Studio can open raw image files but it can't open VHD containers. R-Studio also doesn't support delayed parity (I think In Winhex it's called Compaq RAID)

June 22nd, 2012, 9:05

Doomer wrote:R-Studio can open raw image files but it can't open VHD containers. R-Studio also doesn't support delayed parity (I think In Winhex it's called Compaq RAID)

Yeah, I understand now.
RAIDs with delayed parity in on the way, though.

June 22nd, 2012, 11:51

Doomer,

R-Studio does in fact support Delayed Parity, it is just sort of boring to enter. You need to draw your own block diagram each time.

June 22nd, 2012, 12:14

ReclaiMe wrote:Doomer,

R-Studio does in fact support Delayed Parity, it is just sort of boring to enter. You need to draw your own block diagram each time.

Right , especialy when digits always somewhere in Cyberspace (out of screen) :mrgreen:
Attachments
hp.JPG

June 22nd, 2012, 12:26

ReclaiMe wrote:Doomer,

it's not support - it's PITA

June 22nd, 2012, 12:51

Dr. Kiev, you'd be probably better off scripting the XML file, via Excel or something, with that number of drives, eh?

June 22nd, 2012, 13:01

ReclaiMe wrote:Dr. Kiev, you'd be probably better off scripting the XML file, via Excel or something, with that number of drives, eh?

What have done many times. :mrgreen:
Now, i don't use r-studio quite often because of this.
In other Sw you can set 16 delays quite fast.
What about yours SW ? Any good capabilities in this way ?
Attachments
hp1.JPG

June 22nd, 2012, 13:12

Suppose not. Our software is for end-users, one-button, fire-and-forget, either it works or it does not. If you need fancy configurations, you're not going to like it.
Post a reply