All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: How To Reset/Erase SMART content in WD 500GB HDD
PostPosted: November 3rd, 2014, 21:52 

I have a WD caviar blue HDD for over 5 years and its has a problem with a SMART value, i want to know if there is someway to erase de SMART table ... the hdd its mine ... the information in it its not important but i want to get rid of the SMART alert, for good. thanx in advance

Post subject: Re: How To Reset/Erase SMART content in WD 500GB HDD
PostPosted: November 4th, 2014, 6:41 

SMART resetting will not fix the problem.
SMART is like a road sign that indicates a hazard, remove it will not help to eliminate the danger.

Which is the smart value with problem?

PostPosted: November 4th, 2014, 8:53 

Can you report us SMART Values.?

But as Michael said is only an advertisment (only a report about a failure) if you reset is do not reset the problem, the problem will be there.

PostPosted: November 4th, 2014, 9:49 

First of all... thanx for the reply ... Yes both of you are right erasing SMART table wont fix the problem ... but the thing is i dont want the problem fixed i just want to know if there is a way to delete the record of the problem ... like i said the problem was detected more than five years ago .. so ... if it had not damage the data on the disk so far ... it wont ... at least for the time ... until i can replace it with another ... even the data in the disk its not important ... its more like a lab job ... i wanna try to erase the SMART ... i have read some post about the PC-3000 ... its to much money just for fun ... i also read about communicating with the disk through a RS232 interface ... if thats possible i will post you the HDD model and firmware specs for you to give me the exact command that can reset the SMART ... excuse my english ... thanx

PostPosted: November 4th, 2014, 10:40 

I some cases you can reset SMART ussing RS232 but not all drives al compatible. PC3K is valuable too.

I think some Computer BIOS can disable SMART features, maybe is that you are looking for.

for sure will be free tools, but i don ot know.
If any knows free software tools for reset SMART, i think here write it for you.

PostPosted: November 4th, 2014, 10:49 

You can't erase smart via terminal connection, your drive is a WD not a Seagate.
You can use WDR demo version for WD smart reset
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=20176&hilit=wdr+3

Be carefull with this tool, even if is only a demo version it can damage your hard drive if you don't know how to use it.
Be carefull also on selecting the proper hard drive in the tool.

I take no responsibility if one of your hard drive gets damaged by wrong utilization of WDR

PostPosted: November 4th, 2014, 12:48 

Very helpful your post michael chiklis thanks. That is exactly what i want ... erase the SMART table ... if i disable SMART check in BIOS its only not to show the problem .... if i understand you correctly in the seagate brand i can do it with RS232 ... if you could post me the right commands ... ill appreciate it ... by the way i have a Toshiba HDD with another SMART issue ... in this case more serious one ... this time its installed in a netbook ... the netbook BIOS does not allow me to change the SMART read ... so i have to press F2 always ... can i erase it with the WDR or via RS232??? or neither. You must think i have a lot of HDD with SMART issues ... i work in IT in a company ... so i receive a lot of damage HDD ... im also in CUba ...so recycling its my duty ... if the HDD its readable .. its good enough for me ... i keep the users data in the servers ... thanks all for your replies

PostPosted: November 4th, 2014, 13:15 

michael chiklis your post its very helpful i download the WDR tool ... the SMART reset its a soft reset??? ... by the way i get from your post that Seagate model can do a SMART reset via terminal ... if you could give me the right commands .. i also have a seagate 500 GB with smart situations... and a Toshiba 500GB.... in the case of this one ... a specific tool its required???.. or with one of the former can be done... you must be wondering why i have so many HDD with SMART issues... i work in IT in Cuba ... so i receive a lot of damage HDD and my work its to recycle ... i keep users data in my servers but as long as the HDD its readable i use it in PC, laptop, netbooks... thanks all for your replies

PostPosted: November 4th, 2014, 13:28 

ajajajajaj sorry for the dual reply ... my internet its crappy ... i didnt see post it the first time i reply ... thought that internet hung up... so i wrote it again ... sorry ;)

PostPosted: November 5th, 2014, 11:48 

There are a lot of topics around this forum where it is explained how to reset Seagate smart via terminal, you have just to use the search function.

Some of what you wrote sounds strange, i suspect that the reset of these drives has a different purpose from your part ...
Selling old and damaged hard drives as perfect new ones it's not legal, especially if you work in IT, you could find yourself and your company in a lot of trouble.

PostPosted: November 5th, 2014, 12:15 

i did what you suggested and my Western Digital WD5000 AAKS-00A7B0 was detected by wdr as a family Atlatis(ROYL) i select the WD-ROYL and used the erase SMART function with no use. Im sorry that you think that way about my purpose, as i told you before im from Cuba ... no selling intentions... just a bunch of crappy HDD in my company .. a lot of material to experiment ... and the desire of my part to do it ... of course i cant convince you of this ... illegal selling in my country does not exist ... all the things that come here must have being in a warehouse or a ship from china for about 4 years .. anyway ... thats not the point .. just help me if you want ... if not thanks for the previous replies ... you have been must helpful.

PostPosted: August 8th, 2017, 6:20 

michael chiklis

please Sir, i want the steps for making S.M.A.R.T resseting using WDR tool

PostPosted: August 9th, 2017, 7:18 

i did but no result

when i do Clear SMART get

Clear SMART - SUCCESS

But

in the status register Leds

ERR get RED

in the Repair Leds

ABRT get RED

PostPosted: August 9th, 2017, 9:05 

^^^

When make any order give me Error (ERR led lights RED)

Attachments:
Untitled1.jpg
Untitled1.jpg [ 128.96 KiB | Viewed 44317 times ]

PostPosted: August 9th, 2017, 17:16 

ok Sir, i will Try it with WD 1tb Green and will show you the results

Frankly, i thought WDR will handle Hard disk from Hitachi (as Hitachi became a WD Brand) :D But it's clear that i was Wrong

Now Sir, What program you suggest me to Clear SMART of Hitachi Hard Disk ?

thanks you

PostPosted: August 13th, 2017, 11:28 

Spildit

Hi Sir, i used WDR to Clear SMART for WD 1 tb Black, WD 1 tb Green and WD 750 gb, All is OK :)

THank you Sir for your advice

PostPosted: August 13th, 2017, 14:12 

Now i'm looking for(SeDiv for Hitachi) or Any Free or Limited program can ONLY reset SMART a Hitachi Hard Drive

i'm not working in that field or IT generally (i'm working in Oil Well field) so i will not pay for progam to just learning how can reset SMART :D