All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Did I do a stupid move?
PostPosted: November 21st, 2014, 21:46 

Ok this is what happened guys. I did a scan with WD tools DLGDIAG it said on the quick test "Failed read test element" and extended test "too many bad sectors detected". I checked it more online and it told me I had a problem with my partition. I used testdisk but after 12 hours at 20% my healthy hard drive was full because of the testdisk.log file. I've read other posts on the forum and it said I should have used no log. But here is where my problem starts. After I stopped the Analyse scan it said "write" even though it did not show up any partitions when I stopped the scan I still applied the write. Now I feel like I mess up my failing hard drive even more cause when I tried to use testdisk again without the logging. Now I'm getting read errors as much as it analyse the cylinder. I kinda don't want to used PhotoRec as I would have to rename every file. That's 2TB worth of .jpg .mts .wmv .mp3 .iso ect.

Please help.
Did I mess up my hard drive more by the write part?
Or do I still have a chance recovering my partition so I can get my files?

NEXT
I used my best friend google and it came up with Knoppix and use there software to fix the MBR.
I did that and now windows can see the hard drive now and assigned it a letter but it still says unallocated, RAW and its asking me to format it.

Back then in Computer Management under Disk Management on my Windows computer it used to say unallocated and when I try to add a file system it gives me a CRC error. But now since I used Knoppix it shows it as a healthy partition but as a RAW partition.

As I'm typing this I'm using test disk again its running faster than before but just like I started it hasnt found a partition yet, its at 55%, and still getting as much read errors as much as it's analysing the cylinder.

Please help.
Did I mess up my hard drive more by the MBR part?

NOW
I'm waiting for my eSATA Hard Drive Enclourse to come in the mail.
And I will clone the disk to a new empty one as described in
http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/Damaged_Hard_Disk
And use GNU ddrescue. "ddrescue /dev/old_disk /dev/new_disk sdc.log"

Please help.
Did I mess up my hard drive more by the write part?

Did I mess up my hard drive more by the MBR part?

I seriously freaking out here cause my wife still doesn't know all of our family photos, birth of my first daughter's photos, and ect that have big sentimental value are GONE.

HELP :[

Post subject: Re: Did I do a stupid move?
PostPosted: November 22nd, 2014, 6:02 

"I seriously freaking out here cause my wife still doesn't know all of our family photos, birth of my first daughter's photos, and ect that"

????

Yet you are STILL messing with it, making it worse? :-(

Send it to someone who knows what they're doing and has the right equipment before it's too late.

This has disaster written all over it :-(

New!! HDD-PCB.COM for all your PCB and donor HDD requirements!

PostPosted: November 22nd, 2014, 6:53 

I agree with pcimage.

This bit should have been step 1:

Quote:
NOW
I'm waiting for my eSATA Hard Drive Enclourse to come in the mail.
And I will clone the disk to a new empty one

now I would not advise you doing anymore. The recovery shouldn't be in the high end of price yet, but the drive should be imaged by a professional with tools that are purpose designed to image drives with issues.

Do you know why you keep getting read errors? unless you know why, it is frivolous to keep pounding away at it possibly damaging it beyond recovery. for a test, grab something like a butter knife and start rubbing it back and forth on a sheet of newspaper gently... now keep doing it. This *could be * what you are doing to your disk.

Unless there is no actual physical damage to the disk, all the software programs aren't going to do anything except damage the disk.

BTW, if you put something sensible as your location, we probably could recommend a DR lab.

PostPosted: November 22nd, 2014, 12:34 

Im from the philippines. a third world country where the monthly pay is only $200 USD. I cannot afford professional services.

Can someone help me find information on how to replace the reading element head?

I already made peace with losing everything and paying for expensive professional services is out of the question.

This is actually my last resort. And even if I dont fix it. Atleast I can say I tried.

Please find pity on me.

I need your help.

PostPosted: November 23rd, 2014, 0:59 

I guess you could look on youtube for Scott Moultons videos on how to do exactly what you think you need.
If you possibly can, get 2 working drives of exactly the same type.... then swap heads between the 2. if you get either working again, then you would be in ok shape to try your drive.

After you have watched quite a few of these tutorials, then come back and ask any questions you are not sure of... before starting on your drive.

But I do not have a good feeling about it, it is not really an easy job.

PostPosted: November 23rd, 2014, 1:22 

HaQue wrote:
I guess you could look on youtube for Scott Moultons videos on how to do exactly what you think you need.
If you possibly can, get 2 working drives of exactly the same type.... then swap heads between the 2. if you get either working again, then you would be in ok shape to try your drive.

After you have watched quite a few of these tutorials, then come back and ask any questions you are not sure of... before starting on your drive.

But I do not have a good feeling about it, it is not really an easy job.

I don't think this is a good idea. Not if the information is invaluable to your family.

PostPosted: November 23rd, 2014, 16:19 

I know jono, but if you read his last message, and take it at face value, I cant think of another one :(

PostPosted: November 24th, 2014, 16:56 

oops! thought I was typing a PM.

PostPosted: November 24th, 2014, 17:46 

Ddrescue is your best DIY option, assuming that the drive is still accessible. Please don't write anything else to your drive.

Can you show us a SMART report? You could use CrystalDiskInfo for this.

http://crystalmark.info/software/Crysta ... dex-e.html

PostPosted: November 24th, 2014, 20:06 

fzabkar wrote:
Ddrescue is your best DIY option

My sentiments exactly.

PostPosted: November 24th, 2014, 23:11 

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. I'm going to use my other WD green 2 TB drive. I check evrything it came from the same factory, same serial, same everything. i checked out youtube. com/watch?v=9hcToZC80u0 and I am getting mentally ready for the challenge. I dont have the clamp looking tool so I might try to find something else or do without. What do you guys think?

PostPosted: November 24th, 2014, 23:42 

I think you are about to have 2 broken drives, but I hope you are successful.

Before you do, think about it.

are you contemplating your very first head swap on the actual drives you want to recover??

Read my post here starting with "Have you done one yet?" http://forum.hddguru.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=29684&p=205056&hilit=open+WD+drive+scott#p205056

as always I recommend you update here if you were successful/not sucsessful, and any problems or tips you can talk about.
This follow up info is great for people to see what happens instead of a forum full of questions but no answers.
Good Luck

PostPosted: November 25th, 2014, 0:34 

Quote:
Did I do a stupid move?

you are about do it again

You got the best DIY suggestion possible in your situation , Clone using ddrescue to another empty working drive of similar/greater capacity..
if you succeed ,Then try to recover your data from that clone.

good luck

PostPosted: November 25th, 2014, 11:58 

So after intesive research. Ive learned that getting a head change tool aka head comb tool would make my life easier because the most common problem with changing the head stack assembly is when the heads get damaged or the gets arm bent.

Im looking for cheaper alternative as the head change tool aka head comb tool is pretty fucking expensive.
Does anyone have a autocad file of the head change tool aka head comb tool? I could goto my university and get it 3d printed.

PostPosted: November 25th, 2014, 17:17 

AJ12Gamer wrote:
So after intesive research. Ive learned that getting a head change tool aka head comb tool would make my life easier because the most common problem with changing the head stack assembly is when the heads get damaged or the gets arm bent.

Im looking for cheaper alternative as the head change tool aka head comb tool is pretty fucking expensive.
Does anyone have a autocad file of the head change tool aka head comb tool? I could goto my university and get it 3d printed.

The only people that are going to even have that file are in 2 groups in my opinion.. 1)people that develop the tools for sale - they aren't going to share obviously. And 2) people that develop their own tools for use in house. again, no sharing as this is a part of their professional advantage. a third group MAY be some that want to benefit the DIY community, I guess you could say open source type people, but I haven't seen any tool designs. I am sure the posts discussing that scenario would be interesting.

Using the first revision of any head stack tool also may not be a good idea.

BTW, can you list the places where this is said by people:
Quote:
So after intesive research. Ive learned that getting a head change tool aka head comb tool would make my life easier because the most common problem with changing the head stack assembly is when the heads get damaged or the gets arm bent

because I don't recall seeing it anywhere specifically.
Again, practising on other drives is highly recommended.

PostPosted: November 26th, 2014, 7:18 

I saw it on youtube. Ill try to find it again. But it was the one with chinese letters on it trying to sell the head change tool aka head comb tool.

I dont know if it was a marketing tactic using people's ignorance and fear about damaging the head and arm of the head stack assembly.

PostPosted: November 26th, 2014, 8:26 

AJ12Gamer wrote:
I saw it on youtube. Ill try to find it again. But it was the one with chinese letters on it trying to sell the head change tool aka head comb tool.

I dont know if it was a marketing tactic using people's ignorance and fear about damaging the head and arm of the head stack assembly.

well the way you can qualify to say "the most common problem" must be different than mine. I think "intensive research" is as well.

I am not this in argument, but just pointing out that what you have is a video of someone saying the most common problem is this. There is a big difference.

Intensive research may be getting a stack of drives and testing out methods, but not simply searching on the net.

How many of Scotts videos did you watch? did you read the post I linked to? have you taken many notes? What exactly have you done to prepare to do this task?

You really are going to have to follow the 6 P's here.

PostPosted: November 26th, 2014, 9:58 

Yeah I was exagerrating the "intensive research" part.
Thats what the video said as the most common problem.
And I just rememebred it also said that you had to put the magentic head slowly as it might damage the the voice coil and arm + head.
Im still trying to find the video. It was 50+ mins long.

PostPosted: November 26th, 2014, 10:10 

AJ12Gamer wrote:
Thanks for all the suggestions guys. I'm going to use my other WD green 2 TB drive. I check evrything it came from the same factory, same serial, same everything. i checked out youtube. com/watch?v=9hcToZC80u0 and I am getting mentally ready for the challenge. I dont have the clamp looking tool so I might try to find something else or do without. What do you guys think?

Probably there is some pro data recovery shop also in Philippines which operate with prices which are on philippines level.
If data are valuable for you, then STOP any activities with drive.
In your case, any DIY is like passing minefield.
THINK TWICE befor you open drive with valuable data on it

PostPosted: November 26th, 2014, 15:14 

jerovsek wrote:
AJ12Gamer wrote:

Probably there is some pro data recovery shop also in Philippines which operate with prices which are on philippines level.
If data are valuable for you, then STOP any activities with drive.
In your case, any DIY is like passing minefield.
THINK TWICE befor you open drive with valuable data on it

Totally agree.

New!! HDD-PCB.COM for all your PCB and donor HDD requirements!