All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Sony Z series LIF drive
PostPosted: August 24th, 2016, 5:08 

I'm know others have had this issue, but having read all the threads I can find, I still don't have a solution to my problem so I thought I'd post here.

I have 2 identical Z series laptops, one bought new with 256Gb of Hard Drive space and one bought on ebay with no hard drive.
In my wisdom I decided to swap the 256Gb drive into the ebay machine and buy a 512Gb drive for my machine.

As most on this board will likely know, the Z series uses special drives with LIF connectors, and rather than being one x 256Gb drive, it's actually 2 x 128Gb in a RAID array, the new drive should be 2 x 256Gb in a RAID array also.

Having purchased the new drive, I went ahead and swapped it into the ebay machine, all is well, BIOS reports 2 x 128Gb drives, windows sees it as 1 x 256Gb drive etc etc
I then installed the 512Gb into my machine and that's where the trouble started.
The BIOS only sees 1 x 256Gb drive, the onboard RAID controller cannot be accessed (apparently it turns off if the BIOS only sees one drive) and windows obviously only sees one drive of 256Gb, not the 512 I should have.

It seems to me that the issue is that the new drive is not correctly set up RAID wise...

Does anyone on this board have any experience / suggestions of what I can do?