All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: WDCMarvess ROM - Adaptives included in the ROM?
PostPosted: December 17th, 2016, 17:07 

Hi,

currently I have a backup of the ROM of a WD MyPassport Drive done via the serial connection to the USB PCB. In the SABackup Directory I have the ROM File (256kb) and 7 Modules. Are these Modules included in the ROM File or do I have to rewrite them after writing the ROM File, if I want to switch the PCB (to SATA)?

Post subject: Re: WDCMarvess ROM - Adaptives included in the ROM?
PostPosted: December 17th, 2016, 17:26 

I have written a tool to analyse your ROM:
http://www.hddoracle.com/download/file.php?id=3726
http://www.hddoracle.com/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=1235

PostPosted: December 17th, 2016, 18:28 

Spildit wrote:
Just write the ROM file to the compatble SATA PCB and you should be ok. What is the problem with the drive ? Slow responding ?

The drive failed during files were read from the drive.
Yes, the drive was slow responding. But after I applied the slow responding fix to the Copy0 and restarted the Drive, it started to klick. And even with blocked SA-Access I wasn't able to access the drive via the COM Terminal. Then I used a SATA Board, wrote the ROM File to it and was able to access the SA and Data.

I ran the head test, that said, that Head 6 is not reading.

Code:
Heads test
Cylinder to test........................ : -10
Heads to test........................... : 0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7
Test every head......................... : without test time limit
Head 0.................................. : Ok
Head 1.................................. : Ok
Head 2.................................. : Ok
Head 3.................................. : Ok
Head 4.................................. : Ok
Head 5.................................. : Ok
Head 6.................................. : Error W : 0;R : 12
Head 7.................................. : Ok

So I tried to read the Data without Head 6, this wasn't possible. I had similar patterns of Data around the whole disk. So I regenerated the translator and was able to read the NTFS Structure.

The funny thing is, that this is currently the 3rd WD-Drive in the last 7 Days, that has issues with one head and no harm was done to the drive.

PostPosted: December 17th, 2016, 20:19 

Hi,

no, you get me wrong. First of all, the drive was very slow. It took some time to auto detect the drive and to start the Utility, so I isolated the preamp from the PCB. Then I was able to connect with the TTL adapter to the drive and block the SA Access. Then I disconnected the drive, connected the preamp back on and turn the drive back on again. Then I was able to work with the drive. First of all, I loaded the LDR from HDD SA into the RAM.

Then I read the ROM and the Modules by ABA, but only Copy0. After 5-6 hours then I read the P-List and Relo-List. Then I applied the slow responding fix to the drive. I selected "Read by ABA" and Copy0. When this was done, I enabled the SA access again and turned the drive off. Then I connected the drive back. Then the drive get initialized, I heard it ... well I can't describe the sound. It was not the typical clicking sound, but like the drive is reading data the whole time.

Then I took the SATA PCB and put it onto the drive. The drive got ready after a few seconds. The first thing I did, is to write the ROM File to the PCB. Then I repowered the drive and made a HDD resources backup, this time Copy0-Copy3 of the Modules and SA Tracks Head0/1.

Then I tried to access the data. I could read the first sector. Then I moved to the last sector and headed the clicking sound, I heard before, when the USB-PCB was on the drive. And the UNC Register showed up. Then I used the goto sector button, removed the first digit from the end and was able to read the data over there.

I suggested, that the drive is a SED, I decrypt it (in the sector edit tool). It was not a problem. And the first sector looked ok. But the decrypted data in "higher" sectors looked strange. Repeating patterns, e.g. Then I closed the sector edit, went to the head check and run the test of all heads. One head was not reading.

So I went to the DE and tried to get the data. In the options of DE I activated the Decrypt checkbox. Then I built the head map for the drive and tried to image it. I was not able to read with Head6. So I stopped the imaging process and tried to read the FS-Structore. But DE could not find any.

Because of the repeating patterns I thought, it might also be a translator issue, so I used PC3k to regenerate the translator. I went back to DE and started a new task. But this time, I got the NTFS-Structure and was able to get the files from the drive, except for the files, on Head6. This files are in the !Problem folder now, because they are damaged.