All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Replacing drives in my raid 0
PostPosted: February 27th, 2017, 17:23 

I'm currently running 2 500GB HDDs and 1 SSD for system and programs running on Windows10 with no extra sofware. I need to replace the 500s with 2 1TBs. I have a 1TB external for the backup but I don't know what kind of backup I should use, or how to go about reallocating the drives and getting it to restore properly. Do I need software to run it? google wasn't much help.

Post subject: Re: Replacing drives in my raid 0
PostPosted: February 28th, 2017, 1:42 

TeKodaSinn wrote:
I'm currently running 2 500GB HDDs and 1 SSD for system and programs running on Windows10 with no extra sofware. I need to replace the 500s with 2 1TBs. I have a 1TB external for the backup but I don't know what kind of backup I should use, or how to go about reallocating the drives and getting it to restore properly. Do I need software to run it? google wasn't much help.

1) Dont use Raid0 ever, thats extremely dangerouse .
2) Create virtual array based on your 2 HDD and transfer sector by sector all space to your new raid with 2x1Tb drives. Use Winhex, UFS, R-studio ...whatever.

PostPosted: March 15th, 2017, 21:00 

Thanks for the response..forever ago. I know it's a bad idea but it's actually the only system that HASN'T failed, and I have a backup. None of those programs explicitly say this is what they are for. Am I going to spend hours hand sorting this information? If so there has to be a better way..I'm looking more for a program that I can just plug in the two new drives, boot from the SSD like usual, point it to the backup file, point it to the two new drives and say go. Data recovery and all this is kind of foreign to me so is there a good path you can send me on to good my way to a solution at least?

PostPosted: March 16th, 2017, 18:29 

If you just want to replace the 500GB drives, and they contain only data ( and the system can boot / work without them ) , then you can , for an example, use robocopy ( windows native, I think ) to mirror the "virtual" 1tb disk ( the raided 500gb hdds ) to the usb disk.

Later, after replacing them, rebuilding as a raid ( or not ) , formatting, etc, you can use again robocopy to copy back your data to them.

Of course, that is assuming the 500gb are working ok.