All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: WD My Book Essential 1TB won't Unlock
PostPosted: April 1st, 2015, 5:03 

einstein9 wrote:
fennec wrote:
Doomer wrote:
The password is correct for the key sector you have shown, so "bad password" message does not belong to the password but maybe to incorrect key sector location or something else

Thanks a lot, that's a good info, I was afraid the password was bad or changed. Are you able to extract the AES key from the sector I provided, or just verified the hashing of the password? If you give me the AES key, or procedure I could make a program to decode the block from my drive?

Am sure that your problem is ELSE WHERE
it is where you started @ the 1st. place
Dig more.. and good luck

I know the disk has been altered by another person who attempted to recover data from it, but I'm trying to help a friend and do this to educate myself on encryption. I managed to fix the bridge so if I can restore the key area and got the bridge to decrypt again I'll be able to run regular recovery application on the disk in it's enclosure. There will be probably corrupted files but hopefully I'll be able to restore something. So I think fzabkar's advise on removing the HPA it the best chance I have.

But maybe I got your comment wrong, do you mean something else?

PostPosted: April 1st, 2015, 15:36 

I'm not too sure about how the WD unlock software works exactly, as I never use it I always bypass it. But I'd guess that possibly the fact that the drive now contains a non-encrypted partition table may be causing an issue. Someone who was working with it must have tried initializing the drive not realizing that, that writes a new partition table to it.

At this point, I think you have two options.

1. Try a new bridge board with the same encryption chip (possibly it's just malfunctioning) or
2. Your best bet, get the drive over to someone who has a PC-3000 which can software decrypt the drive using the key.

PostPosted: April 1st, 2015, 18:05 

Hi,

I have great news :) removing the HPA allowed me to unlock the drive successfully! Strange thing it that I had to do it several times with HDAT2 but now it's working! Partition is corrupted, and MFT and backup MFT is also destroyed. However I recovered few files with photorec that confirmed bridge is correctly decrypting.

I reconstructed the partition with test-disk and I'm now rebuilding the file system with DMDE Express. I'm missing root folder files names but sub-folders are ok and file names too. Then I'll be able to recover the content to another drive.

I want to express a huge thank to you all, especially fzabkar and Doomer!

PostPosted: March 20th, 2017, 11:49 

If you are still trying to get this disk open, I might be able to help. The cipher that WD uses is AES in ECB mode, so there are no initialization vectors. So your program sounds like it won't work. Also, depending on which chip is on the USB-SATA bridge, you need to either do nothing, or reverse the order of each 16-byte block, or reverse the order of each 4-byte block. And you have to do that before and after decrypting the block.

I have a filter that does that for me in linux.

PostPosted: March 20th, 2017, 16:45 

Hi kaeding,

I managed to get almost all the files from the disk and my friend was very happy.

I won't need your help, thanks for the proposition :)

PostPosted: March 20th, 2017, 16:57 

BTW, which encryption chip did it have? I'm looking for sample from a drive with the PLX OXUF943... chip.

PostPosted: March 20th, 2017, 17:04 

The main chip is:
Initio
INIC-1607E
C11
B33869112

The others looks like flash:
NX 155H 933
SS7 25VF010