All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: SSDs with Power Loss Protection?
PostPosted: June 15th, 2017, 21:50 

So I'm looking into finally upgrading and getting my first SSD, problem is I live in an area where power outages are common and it has caused me many a headache in the past with my regular mechanical drives. It is my understanding that SSDs are even more volatile when it comes to being powered down suddenly so I'm trying to make sure I get one with PLP. For whatever reason though I'm having a very hard time finding ANY SSDs that have this. The only info I have been able to find is an old Samsung page talking about PLP for models that aren't produced anymore, and some other forums where users have said the Crucial MX300 has it. However, I was unable to find any info on Crucial's website confirming this.

I know that most people would probably just tell me to get a UPS. However, I usually leave my PC on 24/7 so if I'm not home when the power goes out then the battery will just run out and it will make no difference.

So, are there any consumer SSDs with PLP or am I just missing them all somehow? I would appreciate any info or recommendations greatly. Thanks in advance.

Post subject: Re: SSDs with Power Loss Protection?
PostPosted: June 15th, 2017, 23:12 

buy a UPS who has the ability of auto shutdown the computer when power goes down

PostPosted: June 16th, 2017, 2:00 

http://www.anandtech.com/show/10274/the-crucial-mx300-750gb-ssd-review-microns-3d-nand-arrives
Quote:
The pads for the power loss protection capacitors are almost all populated

See the bank of capacitors running from top to bottom through the centre of the PCB.

http://images.anandtech.com/doci/10274/CRW_2506.jpg

PostPosted: June 20th, 2017, 12:58 

Another SSD with lots of capacitors for power loss protection is the PM853T from Samsung. You can find a review showing an image with all the "100 C43" capacitors here: http://www.storagereview.com/samsung_pm853t_ssd_review